[comp.sys.mac] Color printing

sid@ws27s.rtech.UUCP (Sid Shapiro) (08/30/88)

Hi folks,
Can anyone tell me about color printing?

I have a Mac+, no printer.  I am interested in having the ability of
doing color printing.  What do I do?  I've seen adds for color ribbons
for Imagewriters, but how do you prepare something for multi-color
printing?  Do you end up printing the same page multiple times, once for
each color?  I can't believe that would ever look right.

Or is there another alternative?  Another printer?  And how much does it
cost?  Thanks for any and all information.  If there is enough, I'll
post answers back.
--
Sid Shapiro -- Relational Technology, Inc
sid@rtech.com               (415)748-3470

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (09/01/88)

In article <2404@rtech.rtech.com>, sid@ws27s.rtech.UUCP (Sid Shapiro) writes:
> Can anyone tell me about color printing?
>
> I have a Mac+, no printer.  I am interested in having the ability of
> doing color printing.  What do I do?  I've seen adds for color ribbons
> for Imagewriters, but how do you prepare something for multi-color
> printing?  Do you end up printing the same page multiple times, once for
> each color?
>
> Or is there another alternative?  Another printer?  And how much does it
> cost?
> --
> Sid Shapiro -- Relational Technology, Inc
> sid@rtech.com               (415)748-3470

I know of one package that will allow you to print color with the ImageWriter
(IW) II:  SuperPaint by Silicon Beach Software.

First, get a four-color ribbon for your IW II, and insert it into your IW.
NOTE:  Be sure that it is inserted FULLY and SECURELY, otherwise it will only
print out in black (or maybe nothing at all!

To get color in SuperPaint, simply go to the draw layer, do your drawing there,
or copy in your graphics (e.g., clip art).  Then pull down the "Options" menu
and select "Show Color Palette."  The pattern palette will change to a color
palette offering a you 8 color choices.  (Note:  It is best to leave your
background always white, and never make your foreground object(s) white).
Then all you have to do is click on each graphic object, and then click on the
foreground color (of the color palette) that you want that object to print out
as.

For those of you who use SuperSpool by SuperMac, I had some long talks with
their support people when I began getting inconsistent color printing
(i.e., sometimes things would print out in color, and sometimes they wouldn't).
At first they said SuperSpool does not support color printing.  I ran some tests
and discovered that SuperSpool did work with color, the inconsistency was
caused by my not placing the color ribbon securely.  They also talked to their
programmers, and after several days of long distance calls, they said that
the programmers said SuperSpool DID support color printing on an IW.  And I have
been enjoying color printing ever since.

					Jim Collymore

jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) (09/02/88)

In article <732@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>> Can anyone tell me about color printing?
>
>I know of one package that will allow you to print color with the ImageWriter
>(IW) II:  SuperPaint by Silicon Beach Software.
>					Jim Collymore

	When I got my color ribbon for the IW II, I immediately printed out
color pictures with MacDraw II, Cricket Graph, and I think Excel (...is that the
new Excel 1.5)?
	Now I haven't got a Mac II at home, or an IW II at work, or I'd try
PixelPaint. I'll bet it works as well!
	BTW the IW II manages to print multicolors in one pass of the page (multiple passes of each line of course). Its great!

				Jim Meiss
		 		jdm@emx.utexas.edu
				jdm%uta.MFENET@nmfecc.ARPA