[comp.sys.mac] sources, binaries

ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel) (08/29/88)

     The recent and ongoing posting of several Dataframe specific programs to
comp.binaries.mac suggests a perhaps better way of distributing large files
which are of interest to only a small percentage of the USENET readership.
Instead of actually sending the sources and binaries around the network, why
not just post the binaries and sources at all the archives ( such as
Macserve@pucc for BITNET) and send announcements around concerning the
files which have just been posted?  Then all that would be needed is a
network of sites with BITNET or Internet access who would volunteer to mail
copies when requested to sites without such access within a limited geographic
area.  For example, we would be happy to distribute to any sites in North
or SOuth Dakota, MOntana or Minnesota.  The site which wanted the file and did
not have network access to a server could request it via a mail message to the
responding site for its area.  That site could then send back a mail message
when the source or binary was available and how to get it.  The requesting
site would then be responsible for in the next three days or so calling the
responding site and downloading the file or files.  After say three days,
the responding site could erase the file from its disks, if it wished.

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (09/03/88)

In article <1174@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel) writes:

>     The recent and ongoing posting of several Dataframe specific programs to
>comp.binaries.mac suggests a perhaps better way of distributing large files
>which are of interest to only a small percentage of the USENET readership.
(Many following lines deleted.)

The posting of several large segments of SuperMac Dataframe hard disk
utilities via comp.binaries.mac bothers me even more.  It is really a valid
use of the net to post files that are really helping support a commercial
concern?  And, as noted above, what percentage of USENET users actaully have
use for these utilities?

Patches for the SUM software were distributed via the net's e-mail system.
Only those users who expressed an interest in these files supposedly received
them.  Compare this to the posting of the SuperMac stuff on comp.binaries.mac,
which is received 'universally.'

Why not either post such updates from commercial parties in the various
archives (as suggested in the above article) or have a mailing list compiled,
so that only interested parties will receive the updates?  Let's keep
comp.binaries.mac shareware and freeware oriented, and stay away from the
commercial stuff.  (Merely my opinion, obviously.)

Jim

--

Jim -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)  {Standard disclaimer, nothin' fancy!}