[comp.sys.mac] Crystal Quest

UD069225@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Eric H. Romo) (01/10/88)

Has anybody used Crystal Quest? Where can I get it besides from Greene,
Inc.? any mail-order houses offering it? How much ?

Thanks in advance for your replies directly to me via e-mail.    -Eric.
-------
ERIC H. ROMO
<UD069225@NDSUVM1.BITNET>
CHEMISTRY DEPT. UNIV. OF NORTH DAKOTA
GRAND FORKS, N.D.

mkb@ROVER.RI.CMU.EDU (Mike Blackwell) (01/13/88)

I just got a copy of Crystal Quest from Programs-Plus for $28. It's a pretty
neat game, runs on a Mac2 in color (or gray scale). It's basically an
enhanced version of Crystal Raider. New features are: good on-line help, you
can quit from it, colors, lots of bizarre (and some obnoxious) digitized
sounds, more bad things to kill you, smart bombs, and it keeps getting
tougher, so you can't play forever (a problem with Crystal Raider, once you
got past level 25 or so). The only problems I see are that it's not
Multifinder compatible, and it's copy protected such that you have to insert
the original disk to make it run... Bleah. Except for the copy protection,
I'd say it's a pretty good arcade type game.

Anyone know when Beyond Dark Castle will be out, and if it will run on a
Mac2?

		-m-		(Mike.Blackwell@rover.ri.cmu.edu)

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (01/13/88)

As someone who hates arcade style games (except centipede) and just had his
first 1,000,000 Crystal Quest game, I think saying I recommend it is an
understatement.

>The only problems I see are that it's not
>Multifinder compatible,

yeah. Real problem. Which brings up the following question: what games CAN
be run off a hard disk under multifinder? Most fo the things I like to use
to waste time (CQ, Rogue) wont' run under MF, so I have to reboot, which
means I can't use them waiting for a download to finish. sigh.

>and it's copy protected such that you have to insert
>the original disk to make it run... Bleah. Except for the copy protection,
>I'd say it's a pretty good arcade type game.

I almost hate to start this argument up again, but I can't complain about a
copy-protected game, ESPECIALLY if the game lets me run a copy with a key
disk. Double especially if I can load it on my hard disk. I'm against CP of
business programs, but CP for games is more justifiable, especially
innocuous CP like CQ has.

I just wish I could load Shanhai on my hard disk.

>Anyone know when Beyond Dark Castle will be out, and if it will run on a
>Mac2?

Rumor has it that it'll show at Macworld. Rumor also has it that it's a new
set of scenarios using the same underlying program, so I'd guess it is
doubtful that it'll run on a Mac2. I wouldn't be terribly surprised or
disappointed if I'm wrong.

chuq

Chuq "Fixed in 4.0" Von Rospach		chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                       What do you mean 'You don't really want to hurt her?'
                                    I'm a Super-Villain! That's my Schtick!

rj0z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert George Johnston, Jr.) (01/13/88)

    Mike Blackwell asks when Beyond Dark Castle will be released and if it is
Macintosh II compatable. From what I have read, it should be released by the
end of the month, and is compatable with the Macintosh II. I do not know if it
is in color.

    Rob Johnston
    Carnegie Mellon Macintosh User's Group
    Software Librarian

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (01/13/88)

In article <38636@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>As someone who hates arcade style games (except centipede) and just had his
>first 1,000,000 Crystal Quest game, I think saying I recommend it is an
>understatement.

Okay, but does has anyone converted the sound resources Crystal Quest uses
into Mac II 'snd ' resources?  I'd really like to use some of the sounds as
beeps sounds...

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-201-836-3673   Address: 671 Forest Avenue, Teaneck, NJ 07666 |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (01/13/88)

There is a demonstration of Crystal Quest in the public domain.  The
demo is 110K, and the sounds are 200K.  If you lose the sounds file,
the demo still runs with simplified sounds (but the digitized male &
female sounds (grunts, "hello", "ahhhhh!")  are hilarious, so try to
get them).

The demo lets you play for approximately 1:30 of game time, then stops
you with an advertisement for the real game.  The demo will also stop
you if you progress past level five.  My mom is totally hooked on the
demo version and it looks like we'll probably have to get the real
thing to satisfy her.

The demo normally run under singlefinder 6.0, not multifinder,
HOWEVER, the other day I started the game from multifinder by
accident, and it RAN!  I don't know what I did to cause this.  In any
case, if you *do* get it to run under multifinder, it will not refresh
the screen when it exits.

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
            {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (07/22/88)

Bad news for Crystal Quest fans. I just got mail from Greene, Inc. They've
got a new release of CQ out -- features include no copy protection,
save/resume, numerical display of ships and smart bombs, enhanced color and
MultiFinder compatibility. I'll never make a deadline again...

Even worse: the cost of the upgrade: $7.50 + $4.00 shipping and california
tax. If you want the upgrade, send in a check and your original disk to
Greene Inc, 15 Via Chualar, Monterey, CA 93940.

They've also announced CritterEditor, the CQ editing program. It'll work
with CQ2.2 only, and will cost $40 when it's released in August. This
proggie will let you modify jst about all the things in CQ.

The known high score according to G,I. by the way, is 6.2 million points. If
you can document a higher one, let them know.

chuq
--
Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

I don't work for no 'Toon!

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (07/25/88)

In article <60961@sun.uucp> chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

>The known high score according to G,I. by the way, is 6.2 million points. If
>you can document a higher one, let them know.
>
>chuq

Although he probably won't wave his own flag, we've got a guy here at UCLA
(Seth Goldman) who gets bored at 7 million and gives his mouse to someone
else.

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:    {ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince
		    ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy "Shooter" Shuster) (07/26/88)

In article <14689@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> prince@cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) writes:
>In article <60961@sun.uucp> chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>
>>The known high score according to G,I. by the way, is 6.2 million points. If
>>you can document a higher one, let them know.
>>
>>chuq
>
>Although he probably won't wave his own flag, we've got a guy here at UCLA
>(Seth Goldman) who gets bored at 7 million and gives his mouse to someone
>else.

I decided to set the all-time, definitive record last January. Took me a week,
(using the tab key to pause), but no cheating with 256 colors: used a Levco
Prodigy. My wave 21 Shrapwarden strategy was based on George Lee's Dumple
strategy (I'd like to thank all the little people: Billy Barty, etc.). By
the way, here's the kind of bug most people don't test for: once you spend
more than an hour on a single wave, the last part of the text "Time:" is
obscured by the hour digit. When I absolutely couldn't stand it any more,
I moved off 21 and made it to 69 before croaking (with a couple smart bombs
left, yet!). Total: 22,219,375. When MPW compiles in the background, it could
be a telling blow to the game industry!

Their new Critter Editor looks interesting: paste in a scan of anyone you want
to shoot at (and sounds as well).

By the way, anyone heard anything new from LaCie on their software for their
80 meg internal? Love the drive, hate the driver. If their disk cache is the
problem, it would be nice to be able to turn it off when I'm testing:
remounting after every reset is not viable.

--Cy--  UUCP:  ...scgvaxd!ashtate!cy
        ATBBS: (213) 538-6196   Free support for all A-T products

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (07/28/88)

In article <426@dbase.UUCP> cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy "Shooter" Shuster) writes:
>In article <14689@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> prince@cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) writes:
>>In article <60961@sun.uucp> chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>>
>>>The known high score according to G,I. by the way, is 6.2 million points. If
>>>you can document a higher one, let them know.
>>>
>>>chuq
>>
>>Although he probably won't wave his own flag, we've got a guy here at UCLA
>>(Seth Goldman) who gets bored at 7 million and gives his mouse to someone
>>else.

>Prodigy. My wave 21 Shrapwarden strategy was based on George Lee's Dumple
>strategy (I'd like to thank all the little people: Billy Barty, etc.). By
>obscured by the hour digit. When I absolutely couldn't stand it any more,
>I moved off 21 and made it to 69 before croaking (with a couple smart bombs
>left, yet!). Total: 22,219,375. When MPW compiles in the background, it could
>be a telling blow to the game industry!

I've got a friend in Berkeley who simply tried to see how high he could get in
terms of levels. Without using any strategies (I'd like to hear about those for
Shrapwardens and Dumples!), he got 14 million, and reached level 143.

Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
Developer Technical Support                           pyramid!sun !apple!keith
Apple Computer                                             decwrl/
"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"

jmunkki@santra.HUT.FI (Juri Munkki) (08/02/88)

In article <431@dbase.UUCP> awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) writes:
>While we're commending Greene, Inc. for Crystal Quest, let me add my vote
>that it's the best game on the Mac II in terms of showing your wife why you
>spent all that money for color and sound.  It's an addictive game, too, but
>the visuals are particularly good in color.

Let me add that some people find the game boring and much too simple.

I tried the game, but since I'm pretty good with the mouse, I got a few
million points in my second game...

I don't think that CQ is of commercial quality. The good thing is that
if the game is a success, they might come out with something much more
interesting. I think a game should change as the player get better. The
bugs & player should get new (possibly humorous) weapons and tools. I
still think that Wizardry is the best game in this respect. DC and BDC
are very good too, but they are really arcade games and only require
a lot of practice (brains are purely optional).

Everyone I know of has been able to complete Wizardry I.  Even Jerry
Pournelle did it after several months...that should prove something.

Wishlist:
	MS Flight Simulator in color. (I just got AFT: It's good, but no maps.)
	3D world building program for MS_FS.
	Network version of MS_FS.
	Wizardry II, III and especially IV for the Mac.
		(I have II and III for the apple II...Llygamyn is too slow)
	A more playable and interesting NetTrek with solo play and scenarios.
	A better version of Ancient Art of War...network version.
	Battlezone for the Mac...network version, of course...

The only problem with games is that usually programmers have to earn their
living in addition to having fun. I could probably produce a good game or
two in a year, if I had time & money. Now I do two or three half complete
games per year. I usually end up with a lot of working graphics routines, but
I loose interest because I have play the game to test the stuff I write. After
several hours of walking in corridors or traveling in space with no BEMs or
UFOs I get too bored to write any more code...

Maybe Apple should use some of the extra money they have around to produce
some really nifty network games for demonstration purposes...

Juri Munkki
jmunkki@santra.hut.fi
jmunkki@fingate.bitnet

P.S.
Could someone provide a list of game publishers with addresses, people to
contact and preferably EMail addresses? I might complete one of my game
projects some day (it's unlikely, but possible).

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (08/04/88)

In article <15053@santra.UUCP> jmunkki@santra.UUCP (Juri Munkki) writes:
|In article <431@dbase.UUCP| awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) writes:
||While we're commending Greene, Inc. for Crystal Quest, let me add my vote
||that it's the best game on the Mac II in terms of showing your wife why you
|| Let me add that some people find the game boring and much too simple.
|| I tried the game, but since I'm pretty good with the mouse, I got a few
|| million points in my second game...

My feelings exactly.  Most of my friends who have used the Mac before were
able to get very high scores within two or three games.  But then, some
people still can't get past 1 million points after months of play so there
has to be a middle ground...

|Everyone I know of has been able to complete Wizardry I.  Even Jerry
|Pournelle did it after several months...that should prove something.
|
|Wishlist:
|	MS Flight Simulator in color. (I just got AFT: It's good, but no maps.)

  Microsoft has indicated that they don't intend to update Flight Simulator
  for the II/SE. (They lied -- at one time they had said that they would
  update ALL their programs to work on the II/SE)

|	Network version of MS_FS.

  See above comment.  MS_FS is *dead*

|	Wizardry II, III and especially IV for the Mac.

  The local rumor in Ithaca is that Woodhead lost so much money on Wizadry I
  due to piracy that he refuses to release Mac version of Wizadry II, III,...

|Maybe Apple should use some of the extra money they have around to produce
|some really nifty network games for demonstration purposes...

What Apple should also do is to release some of their in house Mac II demo
programs.  They have this sound program which shows off the Apple Sound Chip
by reading, in real time, samples off a hard disk.  While this is going on,
other things can occur at the same time.  Apparently the sample buffer can
be as small as 25k for reading samples at 44.1kHz!

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow          |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-272-8014   Address: 107 Catherine St, Ithaca NY 14850    |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

rtb@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Todd) (08/04/88)

> Maybe Apple should use some of the extra money they have around to produce
> some really nifty network games for demonstration purposes...

I have read in a few Mac magazines that Apple is not very interested in
games for the Macintosh. I guess it has something to do with tarnishing
the business image of the machine.

I'm suprised that no one else has brought this up before, but the Mac
will always be somewhat limited in this respect for one reason: there
is no provision for a joystick. Trackballs are good for some
games, and Crystal Quest is a good example of what can be done with a
mouse. I personally regret buying Beyond Dark Castle because I can't
stand the keyboard interface. There could be a joystick card for the
Mac II, but it would probably be cost prohibitive. I haven't purchased
a flight simulator for my Mac because I can't even imagine using it
with a keyboard/mouse.

There is still some room for growth in the mac game market. I would like
to see some of the more classic games that do use a trackball (i.e
missle command) come out. I saw a great COLOR version of a submarine
simulator from EPYX at the last CES. It would also be great if FTL
came out with a mac version of Dungeon Master.

R.T. Bradstrum

rvd@bunker.UUCP (Robert Del Favero Jr.) (08/04/88)

In article <5764@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:

>|	Wizardry II, III and especially IV for the Mac.
>
>  The local rumor in Ithaca is that Woodhead lost so much money on Wizadry I
>  due to piracy that he refuses to release Mac version of Wizadry II, III,...

Well, maybe not... I was reading the Sir-Tech roundtable on GEnie the other
night, and Woodhead himself promised Wizardry II for the Mac by this fall,
and the others within a few months after that.

		--Delf

Robert Del Favero, Jr.                     "It's not a matter of life or death,
{decvax, yale, fortune}!bunker!rvd                        But what is? What is?"

rmf@actnyc.UUCP (Robert M. Fuhrer) (08/04/88)

In article <15053@santra.UUCP> jmunkki@santra.UUCP (Juri Munkki) writes:

>I still think that Wizardry is the best game in this respect.

Which reminds me... has anybody played Wizardry on a Mac II? Mine worked
on my old Fat Mac (anyone remember those?), but it bombs on my Mac II.
I wrote an FKEY which disables the 68020's cache, thinking that there
might be some self-modifying code (naughty-naughty 8^)!!), but this doesn't
seem to help.  It gets through to putting up most of the windows & menus,
but I didn't feel like going into Macsbug to figure out exactly what was
happening...
--
The Foundation for Unmitigated Sillyness		uunet!actnyc!rmf
Department of Redundancy Department

fisher@elxsi.UUCP (Chuck Fisher) (08/05/88)

I received the Critter Editor for Crystal Quest in yesterday's mail.
One thing you can say about the publisher, Greene, Inc. is that they
ship as promised.  Several weeks ago they sent a letter saying that
Critter Editor would be available August first and that registered
Crystal Quest owners could buy it for $15 instead of "list" price of
$40.  They also sent au updated version of Crystal Quest (2.2c) free.
Now that's what I call support.

I tried out the editor and it allows over 1,000 different parameters
affecting the game to be changed: icons, sounds, colors, speed and
frequency of baddies, etc.  It comes with a couple of sample "parameter"
files which can be applied to Crystal Quest to modify the game.
The publisher encourages the sharing and posting of the parameter
files, but wants us to buy the game and editor.

The use of the Critter Editor allows people to make the game as
tough as or easy as one desires. All-in-all a pretty neat package.

Chuck

rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) (08/05/88)

Re: the apple sound demo. Do you know what it is called or where I can get
a copy. Or if somebody has a copy could you mail it to me.

address

rdsesq@jessica.stanford.edu
or bitnet
rdsesq%jessica.stanford.edu@STANFORD

many thanx

rob snevely

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (08/05/88)

In article <5547@ihlpf.ATT.COM> rtb@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Todd) writes:
.
.I'm suprised that no one else has brought this up before, but the Mac
.will always be somewhat limited in this respect for one reason: there
.is no provision for a joystick. Trackballs are good for some
.with a keyboard/mouse.
.
Why would you need a specific provision for a joystick?  It seems to me that
the ADB would be more than adequate to handle joysticks.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\

lemke@Apple.COM (Steve Lemke) (08/05/88)

In article <5547@ihlpf.ATT.COM> rtb@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Todd) writes:
>I'm suprised that no one else has brought this up before, but the Mac
>will always be somewhat limited in this respect for one reason: there
>is no provision for a joystick. Trackballs are good for some
>games, and Crystal Quest is a good example of what can be done with a
>mouse. I personally regret buying Beyond Dark Castle because I can't
>stand the keyboard interface. There could be a joystick card for the
>Mac II, but it would probably be cost prohibitive. I haven't purchased
>a flight simulator for my Mac because I can't even imagine using it
>with a keyboard/mouse.
>
>R.T. Bradstrum

Would it really be that big of a deal to make a joystick that hooks up to
the Desktop Bus?  I don't know that much about the hardware problems of doing
so, but it seems to me that that kind of stuff is what ADB is for...

Steve Lemke (apple!lemke, lemke@apple.com)

rtb@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Todd) (08/05/88)

In article <5778@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:
> In article <5547@ihlpf.ATT.COM> rtb@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Todd) writes:
> .
> .I'm suprised that no one else has brought this up before, but the Mac
> .will always be somewhat limited in this respect for one reason: there
> .is no provision for a joystick. Trackballs are good for some
> .with a keyboard/mouse.
> .
> Why would you need a specific provision for a joystick?  It seems to me that
> the ADB would be more than adequate to handle joysticks.

You could be right about this. I thought that if a joystick could have
been used on the ADB bus, it would have been developed by now. If it
is possible to have an ADB joystick and noboby has done it, perhaps
we have a chicken and egg situation. Nobody has developed any joystick
games because there is no joystick, and nobody has developed any joystick
because of a lack of software that would use it.

I should have stated in my original article that I was just making a
minor observation. I don't consider this a real problem or shortcoming
in the Macintosh. If I get an uncontrollable urge to play arcade type
games this winter I will probably buy a dedicated game machine such
as a Nitendo, or a Sega.

R.T. Bradstrum

rob@uokmax.UUCP (Robert K Shull) (08/05/88)

In article <5547@ihlpf.ATT.COM> rtb@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Todd) writes:

>will always be somewhat limited in this respect for one reason: there
>is no provision for a joystick. Trackballs are good for some

How about an ADB joystick and a driver? Anyone make one (or planning to?)

>R.T. Bradstrum

	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
University of Oklahoma, Engineering Computer Network

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (08/06/88)

>I have read in a few Mac magazines that Apple is not very interested in
>games for the Macintosh. I guess it has something to do with tarnishing
>the business image of the machine.

       I think that's half true, I think the other half is that its so
  easy to produce mac games that people give them away (Continum etc.)

>I'm suprised that no one else has brought this up before, but the Mac
>will always be somewhat limited in this respect for one reason: there
>is no provision for a joystick. Trackballs are good for some
       Actually, several companies make joysticks for the mac.

>mouse. I personally regret buying Beyond Dark Castle because I can't
>stand the keyboard interface. There could be a joystick card for the
      Having played Lode runner both with and without a joystick I prefer
  the keybaord, but its up to you. Besides your would need two, one to
 throw and one to move.
>There is still some room for growth in the mac game market. I would like
>to see some of the more classic games that do use a trackball (i.e
>missle command) come out. I saw a great COLOR version of a submarine

    There are several free Missle commands and one commerial one.
Pierce
wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu     Race For Space Grand Prize Winner.
   Useless Advice #986: Never sit on a Tack.

engber@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Mike Engber) (08/06/88)

In article <5557@ihlpf.ATT.COM> rtb@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Todd) writes:
>we have a chicken and egg situation. Nobody has developed any joystick
>games because there is no joystick, and nobody has developed any joystick
>because of a lack of software that would use it.

I would like to point out that there is a product call the Arcade Adapter
by Nuvo Labs (805-544-5766) that allows you to use any Atari type joystic
on the Mac. It connect to the mouse port (does not require ADB) It comes
with an arcade quality Pac-Man like game. (I think I paid around $30 for
the whole package - directly from Nuvo)

It's been out a while, but it never seems to have caught on.

-ME

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (08/08/88)

In article <7526@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Pierce T. Wetter) writes:

>      Having played Lode runner both with and without a joystick I prefer
>  the keybaord, but its up to you. Besides your would need two, one to
> throw and one to move.

Nope...that's one prominent use of joystick pushbuttons -- mode select.
		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:    {ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince
		    ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (08/09/88)

Try it without any INITs in b/w mode.  I have gotten Wiz to run on a II with no
problem.

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (08/09/88)

>>      Having played Lode runner both with and without a joystick I prefer
>>  the keybaord, but its up to you. Besides you would need two, one to
>> throw and one to move.
>
>Nope...that's one prominent use of joystick pushbuttons -- mode select.
   A use I have never liked because I always feel I need three hands.
Besides in BDC you have: movement, duck, sheild, fire, aim.

Pierce
P.s. Question: why does 1200 baud screw up my typing?

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (08/10/88)

In article <7554@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Pierce T. Wetter) writes:

>   A use I have never liked because I always feel I need three hands.
>Besides in BDC you have: movement, duck, sheild, fire, aim.

You're right, not to mention jump.  My last comment wasn't thought through
very carefully...but there MIGHT be a way to work those things out using
(GAKK) *three* switches...one mounted on the stick, two in close proximity
on the base (kind of like Kraft's Mach II, but with the base switches
closer together like TG's, and the stick-mount switch doing its own thing.)

The two base switches could have a separate-and-distinct function when
pressed simutaneously (with ONE thumb, mind you), like in Dino Eggs.

Heck, if my fingers can learn a keyboard, they can learn a joystick.  (As
you can probably tell, I'm a joystick fan from Apple II days...might have
something to do with the fact that I'm left-handed, and a lousy typist  :-> )

bldflame@pnet06.cts.com (Stuart Burden) (08/12/88)

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:
>  Microsoft has indicated that they don't intend to update Flight Simulator
>  for the II/SE. (They lied -- at one time they had said that they would
>  update ALL their programs to work on the II/SE)
>
>|	Network version of MS_FS.
>
>  See above comment.  MS_FS is *dead*
>
>Christopher Chow

Hmm, I'd really like to know your source of information.  I have never seen a
press release to indicate that Microsoft had no intention of releasing an
upgrade to Flight Simulator.  I'd really appreciate knowing where you found
out this information.  Or is this another case of vendor bashing?

While it is true that Microsoft have not released an upgrade, I do not recall
them ever saying exactly WHEN they would.  It could be tomorrow, it could be
next year.  But I believe they will be true to thier word, not necesarily true
to your demands.

Stu.

PS.. I'm still hopeful of a color MS-FS.. one day.. :-)

                    ______________
       -  -- ---  /  __________   /     "Now we send forth Jen.
          - ---  /  / #    #  /  /       Watch over his dangerous quest"
     --- -- --  /  /    /    /  /
  - - --- ---  /  /   \__/  /  / _________________________________________
 -- -- --- -  /  /_________/  / ARPA: hodge!pnet06!bldflame@crash nosc.mil
   -- --- -- / #        ___  / UUCP: hodge.cts.com!pnet06!bldflame
 - --- - -  /---------------/ INET: bldflame@pnet06.cts.com
--  --- -  /_______________/ _____________________________________________
Lost & Found Disks? Fill in the standard Disk-Claimer? I know, bad pun :-)

rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) writes:
>Re: the apple sound demo. Do you know what it is called or where I can get
>a copy. Or if somebody has a copy could you mail it to me.
>rdsesq@jessica.stanford.edu
>or bitnet
>rdsesq%jessica.stanford.edu@STANFORD
>rob snevely

Ditto me on this one.  Is it the close to twenty meg demo with graphics and
sound?.  If so I think I had better send disks..:-0

Stu.

                    ______________
       -  -- ---  /  __________   /     "Now we send forth Jen.
          - ---  /  / #    #  /  /       Watch over his dangerous quest"
     --- -- --  /  /    /    /  /
  - - --- ---  /  /   \__/  /  / _________________________________________
 -- -- --- -  /  /_________/  / ARPA: hodge!pnet06!bldflame@crash nosc.mil
   -- --- -- / #        ___  / UUCP: hodge.cts.com!pnet06!bldflame
 - --- - -  /---------------/ INET: bldflame@pnet06.cts.com
--  --- -  /_______________/ _____________________________________________
Lost & Found Disks? Fill in the standard Disk-Claimer? I know, bad pun :-)

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (08/13/88)

Why not go a step further and make a fighter type joystick with both a button
on the top, and a button for the forefinger of the hand on the stick and then
the rest with the two thumb buttons.  But in a game you don't want to be going,
"ahh, lets see, do I jump if I hold down these two, or do I throw a rock???"
I like the keyboard method.  After all, Flight Simulator (YUCK!!!) uses the
keyboard, and it is somethink like the all time best selling computer game!

Mark Cookson

bldflame@pnet06.cts.com (Stuart Burden) (08/16/88)

msurlich@immd1.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Matthias Urlichs - scheme) writes:
>In article <3245@Portia.Stanford.EDU> rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) writes:
>> Re: the apple sound demo. Do you know what it is called or where I can get
>> a copy. Or if somebody has a copy could you mail it to me.
>>
>> rob snevely
>
>I think what you mean is the Sunrise Demo.
>
>Bear in mind that you need a Mac II with 8 MB of RAM and (I think)
>8-bit color to actually run it.
>
>I once saw it but do not know anyone who has it.
>--
>Matthias Urlichs     CompuServe: 72437,1357  Delphi: URLICHS
>Rainwiesenweg 9      Phone: +49+911-574180
>8501 Schwaig 2       NetMail: m_urlichs@msn.rmi.de
>West Germany              or: (r)eply and (h)ope

Sunrise was about 40 meg of graphics and sound (I don't think it was stereo),
and disapeared due to some copyright hassles Apple were having, over screening
rights and the like.. you know.. look and feel and all that.. :-) :-)

Stu.

                    ______________
       -  -- ---  /  __________   /     "Now we send forth Jen.
          - ---  /  / #    #  /  /       Watch over his dangerous quest"
     --- -- --  /  /    /    /  /
  - - --- ---  /  /   \__/  /  / _________________________________________
 -- -- --- -  /  /_________/  / ARPA: hodge!pnet06!bldflame@crash nosc.mil
   -- --- -- / #        ___  / UUCP: hodge.cts.com!pnet06!bldflame
 - --- - -  /---------------/ INET: bldflame@pnet06.cts.com
--  --- -  /_______________/ _____________________________________________
Lost & Found Disks? Fill in the standard Disk-Claimer? I know, bad pun :-)

bldflame@pnet06.cts.com (Stuart Burden) (08/16/88)

Someone had commented earlier about the JoyStick from Gravis.  They had these
at the show and are most impressive (read.. I want one!!), but at this stage
they do not have one for the Mac ][.  They have them for ADB but these do not
work with the Mac ][ due to some hardware difficulties they are experiencing.

Stu.

                    ______________

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (08/17/88)

In article <1838@hodge.UUCP> bldflame@pnet06.cts.com (Stuart Burden) writes:
>chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:
>>  Microsoft has indicated that they don't intend to update Flight Simulator
>>  for the II/SE. (They lied -- at one time they had said that they would
>>  update ALL their programs to work on the II/SE)

>Hmm, I'd really like to know your source of information.  I have never seen a
>press release to indicate that Microsoft had no intention of releasing an
>upgrade to Flight Simulator.  I'd really appreciate knowing where you found
>out this information.  Or is this another case of vendor bashing?

>While it is true that Microsoft have not released an upgrade, I do not recall
>them ever saying exactly WHEN they would.  It could be tomorrow, it could be
>next year.  But I believe they will be true to thier word, not necesarily true
>to your demands.

I believe you're an incurable optimist, Stu.  The day the Mac II was
announced, Microsoft's press release said they would update *all*
their products to run on the Mac II and SE.  They specifically named
Flight Simulator.  That was a year and a half ago.

Much more recently, I called Microsoft to find out what the latest
version of FlightSim was, and whether it worked on the Mac II.  The
folks that answer questions at MS told me that the current version
worked on the SE, but not on the Mac II.  They knew of no plans or
commitment for producing a Mac II version.

So, I bought Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer (Electronic Arts)
from MacConnection at the Expo.  It's a very different thing from
FlightSim.

FS is rigidly realistic in many ways.  Navaids, instruments, charts,
elevations, all that stuff.  And it's also terribly brain-damaged in
some ways.  That's all been discussed here before, so I won't go into
it.

AFT is very unrealistic, but exciting.  The manual is thin.  No
charts, many fewer instruments.  But, many more airplanes, including
X-1, X-3, Mustang, Blackbird, and stuff I'd never heard of.  You can
just fly around, or you can take lessons, race, and do stunts.  It
works on a Mac II, using all of the main screen.  It runs in 16 colors
if you've got'em, otherwise just two.  The animation (on a Mac II) is
much better than FlightSim's (on a Mac Plus).

The most unrealistic aspect of AFT (to my mind) is that the plane's
are so easy to fly.  I managed a reasonably stable inverted flight in
the X-1 on my first try.  This can't be true!

The scenery is much more abstract than in FlightSim, but it's solid
instead of wire-frame.

FS is obnoxiously copy-protected.  It *must* be the start-up disk.  It
cannot be installed on a hard disk.

AFT is not copy-protected and will run off a hard disk.  When the
program starts up, it shows you the silhouette of a plane described in
the manual and asks a question about it (e.g., What's this plane's
length in feet?).  Answer correctly, and you're all set.  Answer
wrongly, and you're dumped out.

I like FlightSim.  I like AFT.  I'd like FlightSim for the Mac II in
addition to AFT, because they're so different.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (08/18/88)

In article <1838@hodge.UUCP> bldflame@pnet06.cts.com (Stuart Burden) writes:
>chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:
>>  Microsoft has indicated that they don't intend to update Flight Simulator
>>  for the II/SE. (They lied -- at one time they had said that they would
>>  update ALL their programs to work on the II/SE)
>
>Hmm, I'd really like to know your source of information.  I have never seen a
>press release to indicate that Microsoft had no intention of releasing an
>upgrade to Flight Simulator.

I'd be interested in your source of information also.  Funny thing is,
we have a Microsoft Flight Simulator 3.0 poster hanging behind my back.
Microsoft sent it to us a while back.

Ken

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.

pearl@porthos.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) (08/18/88)

In article <25950@think.UUCP> ephraim@vidar.think.com.UUCP (ephraim vishniac) writes:
On MSFS vs AFT:

>FS is obnoxiously copy-protected.  It *must* be the start-up disk.  It
>cannot be installed on a hard disk.
>
>AFT is not copy-protected and will run off a hard disk.  When the
>program starts up, it shows you the silhouette of a plane described in
>the manual and asks a question about it (e.g., What's this plane's
>length in feet?).  Answer correctly, and you're all set.  Answer
>wrongly, and you're dumped out.
>
>I like FlightSim.  I like AFT.  I'd like FlightSim for the Mac II in
>addition to AFT, because they're so different.

Just  a pointof information, Microsoft nolonger copy protects their
products, INCLUDING FS. However, I have a copy-protected version :-(

Steve

Stephen Pearl (Starbuck)    Work: (201)932-2443   Home:  (201)246-3927
UUCP:  rutgers!topaz.rutgers.edu!pearl   ARPA:  pearl@topaz.rutgers.edu
US MAIL:  LPO 12749 CN 5064, New Brunswick, NJ 08903
QUOTES: "What is Starbuck-ing?" -Adultress 19
	"Works for me!" -Rick Hunter (The Cop, not the Robotech Defender)

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (08/18/88)

In article <9845@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:
>In article <1838@hodge.UUCP> bldflame@pnet06.cts.com (Stuart Burden) writes:
..chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:
...  Microsoft has indicated that they don't intend to update Flight Simulator
...  for the II/SE. (They lied -- at one time they had said that they would
...  update ALL their programs to work on the II/SE)
..
..Hmm, I'd really like to know your source of information.  I have never seen a
..press release to indicate that Microsoft had no intention of releasing an
..upgrade to Flight Simulator.
.

Okay --- it wasn't a press release.  Its information which I remembered
seeing from this news group back about a year ago.  Someone had posted in an
article that they called MS regarding Flight Simulator for the Mac II and
they (MS) said that there were no plans to update it for the Mac II.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\

shane@chianti.cc.umich.edu (Shane Looker) (08/18/88)

In article <9845@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:
>I'd be interested in your source of information also.  Funny thing is,
>we have a Microsoft Flight Simulator 3.0 poster hanging behind my back.
>Microsoft sent it to us a while back.
>
>Ken

Hmm.  Maybe they are writing a color version for the NEXT machine? :-)

Shane Looker
Looker@um.cc.umich.edu

robert@island.uu.net (Robert Leyland) (08/20/88)

In article <25950@think.UUCP> ephraim@vidar.think.com.UUCP (ephraim vishniac) writes:

>So, I bought Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer (Electronic Arts)
>from MacConnection at the Expo.  It's a very different thing from
>FlightSim.
>
>      ... and ...
>
>The most unrealistic aspect of AFT (to my mind) is that the plane's
>are so easy to fly.  I managed a reasonably stable inverted flight in
>the X-1 on my first try.  This can't be true!

If you are into Flight Simulator I recommend checking out "Air Warrior" by
KESMAI Corporation, available on GEnie. It is a simulator of limited scope,
resricted to WW1 and WW2 planes. In its stand alone mode, you get to fly
around the terrain, and practice. There aren't many options, and it is fairly
easy to fly. In beginner (dweeb, or auto-pilot) mode it is easier than AFT. In
expert mode it is harder than AFT and simpler than MS Flight Sim.

The *real* fun comes when you go on-line, through the GEnie netowrk and get
to dogfight with other people also running the software. You can also run
bombing missions, either as the pilot, or a gunner with someone else flying!

The program itself is free, just download it, or get it from a friend...
GEnie cost $5/hr which is where they make their money :-)

>Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
>Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

Robert Leyland

Non-Std Disclaimer: I don't stand to gain anything by this endorsement, except
perhaps to introduce some new pilots, who will be easy targets :-) :-)

holland@mips.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (09/04/88)

>>  Microsoft has indicated that they don't intend to update Flight Simulator
>>  for the II/SE. (They lied -- at one time they had said that they would
>>  update ALL their programs to work on the II/SE)
>>

>Hmm, I'd really like to know your source of information.  I have never seen a
>press release to indicate that Microsoft had no intention of releasing an
>upgrade to Flight Simulator.  I'd really appreciate knowing where you found
>out this information.  Or is this another case of vendor bashing?

Here's a quote from MacWorld, April 1988:  "We want to bring that product
[Flight Simulator] up to date with the capabilities of the Mac, but it's not
mainstream business for us" - Bill Gates.  It doesn't say they won't upgrade,
just that it's not high on their priorities.

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
holland%ti-csl@csnet-rela

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.