[comp.sys.mac] MAC Word 3.01 <-> IBM Word 4.0 conversions

peterj@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Peter Juhl) (09/01/88)

I am trying to transfer a document from our Macintosh Microsoft
Word 3.01 to our IBM PS/2 running Ms Word 4.0. After "Saving As"
a MS/Dos word file, I uploaded to our unix system using "kermit -i".
I then downloaded the file to my IBM, again with "kermit -i".
Upon opening the document in Word 4.0, I see some garbage at the top,
the contents of the document (sprinkled lightly with garbage characters
here and there), and a bunch of garbage at the bottom.

I have a feeling that the file is being corrupted during the upload or
download.

My main question is: Is this conversion working elsewhere, or is it
just brain-damaged? I've never had any trouble transferring binary files
to or from the Mac or IBM PS/2 before.

BTW, I thought of using RTF, and sending the file up and down as a
text file. No go. Microsoft is not finished writing the MS/DOS RTF
conversion utility. Although the reference guide refers to it, it's
not on any of the disks. A call to product support verified that it's not
finished yet. Of course, the README.DOC file that came with the Word
package, neglected to mention this. I HATE COMPANIES THAT DO THIS
KIND OF THING!!!!!!

Help!

Peter Juhl, Rosemount Inc.
peterj@rosevax.Rosemount.COM

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (09/03/88)

In article <6233@rosevax.Rosemount.COM>, peterj@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Peter Juhl) writes:
> I am trying to transfer a document from our Macintosh Microsoft
> Word 3.01 to our IBM PS/2 running Ms Word 4.0. After "Saving As"
> a MS/Dos word file, I uploaded to our unix system using "kermit -i".
> I then downloaded the file to my IBM, again with "kermit -i".
> Upon opening the document in Word 4.0, I see some garbage at the top,
> the contents of the document (sprinkled lightly with garbage characters
> here and there), and a bunch of garbage at the bottom.
>
> I have a feeling that the file is being corrupted during the upload or
> download.
> Peter Juhl, Rosemount Inc.

I don't think the problem is upload/download corruption.  We have PCs
and Macs sharing a mixed network of Ethernet and Tops.  Files can be
transferred in either direction without alteration.  We can turn PC Word
3.0 or 4.0 files into Mac Word 3.01 files with little effort -- the
other direction doesn't seem to work at all.

I wish Microsoft would add Mac Word translation into PC Word.

Clayton E. Cramer

drew@cup.portal.com (09/04/88)

I agree:  it's probably not the transfer screwing up, but the fact
that there seems to be no good way to translate Mac MS Word 3.01 to
PC MS Word 4.0.  When I tried the Mac's SAVE AS... FIlE FORMAT...
MS DOS/WORD, and then transfered (via XMODEM over modem), I still
got some garbage on the PC, and of course, no pictures.