[comp.sys.mac] How To Generate PostScript

sharat@cvl.umd.edu (S. Chandran) (09/04/88)

Could somebody please answer this naive question: How does
one generate Postscript code from *any* Macintosh drawing
program? Of course, MacDraw would be the ideal program from
which I'd like to generate Postscript but any others would
also be welcome.

Please note that I'd like Postscript code; not any other
code that the Apple Laserwriter knows about.  In particular,
things like header files, `Quickdraw' (whatever that is)
calls etc.  would be of little help *to me*.  As you can see
I know very little about such things and e-mail replies
would be most helpful.

Thanks.
US Mail:
S. Chandran, Center for Automation Research, University of Maryland, College
Park, MD 20742-3411.
Electronic:
sharat@cvl.umd.edu 			Arpanet/Domain
...!uunet!mimsy!sharat			Uucp

jweeks@umnd-cpe-cola.d.umn.edu (John A. Weeks III) (09/05/88)

sharat@cvl.umd.edu (S. Chandran) writes:

> How does one generate Postscript code from *any* Macintosh drawing
> program? Of course, MacDraw would be the ideal program from...

> Please note that I'd like Postscript code; not any other
> code that the Apple Laserwriter knows about.  In particular,
> things like header files, `Quickdraw' (whatever that is)...

The general way to get a postscript file is to hold down Command-f
or Command-k while clicking the OK box in the laserwriter dialog
box when printing.  However, from the sound of your request, I
don't think this will be of much help.

In the LaserPrep file, Apple declares a lot of procedures.  The
laserwriter driver constructs the output by converting the Macintosh
Quickdraw commands into similar LaserPrep procedures.  The
PostScript output is very hard to follow unless you know the Mac
and PostScript very well.  The average user is never supposed to
see this stuff anyway.

A drawing program that caters to PostScript people is "Cricket Draw".
It has a mode where the screen drawing is presented in a side window
as PostScript code.  It also has an on-line help facility for
PostScript users.

For more information, take a look at the August 1988 MacUser.  They
have an article on several PostScript friendly programs.

OS/2: Just Say No!        An Apple-A-Day Takes My Credit Card Away.
John A. Weeks III                             jweeks@luke.d.umn.edu
Disclaimer: I know nothing, I don't exist.    jweeks@cola.d.umn.edu