[comp.sys.mac] Rodime disk drives, A/UX, MacOS no longer recognizing the Rodime

rsharpe@flinders.cs.flinders.oz (Richard Sharpe) (09/01/88)

Folks,

I have been further investigating using Rodime disk drives under A/UX. I have
discovered that A/UX seems to be able to read and write to Rodime drives, but
I am not sure whether it is using its built in SCSI driver or not (also, the
occassional error suggests problems).

My first big problem (that of creating an unbootable system by overwriting the
on disk driver when using dp(8) to partition the Rodime) was overcome when I
found out where the drive table was and where the driver was. I then copied
the driver using dd(1) from the raw drive (c0d0s31) into a file on the HD80SC,
partitioned the Rodime (c0d0s31), copied the driver into the partition meant
for it, and patched the driver map to indicate the driver's new location.

Since the partition map that I created was almost exactly the same as that on
the supplied HD80SC with A/UX on it, except for an extra usr partition that
uses up the extra space, I also copied the SASH partition (an Apple_HFS
partition) onto the equivalent partition on the Rodime. This took a little bit
of fiddling with pname to associate the partitions with the appropriate device
names in /dev/dsk, and then I was able to use dd(1) to do the job. cmp(1)
verified that the two partitions were the same.

(For those interested, the driver starts at block 4 and is 6 blocks long on a
standard Rodime. A small (20-30 lines) c program was able to print out all the
necessary information about the drive for me (you just give it the device that
points to the whole disk, and it reads the first block, and pulls it apart)).

However, here is my problem! When I boot the Mac-II, The MacOS never sees the
Rodime disk drive, and the partition on it that is supposedly an HFS
partition. The system always brings up the SASH partition on the HD80SC.

I can bring up the Rodime under A/UX, run FSCK on various partitions, mount
them into the file system, etc, but the MacOS refuses to see it.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong? My suspicions are that the Rodime
supplied driver on the disk might be objecting to the strange (and different)
format of the partition map, and exiting duing its init phase, thus leaving
the device off-line and un-mounted. Can anyone confirm?

Does anyone know when Rodime are going to supply a driver that can understand
the new partitioning format?

Are there any tools available for pulling drivers apart, disassembling them?

Richard Sharpe

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (09/06/88)

In article <212@flinders.cs.flinders.oz>, rsharpe@flinders.cs.flinders.oz (Richard Sharpe) writes:
> Does anyone know when Rodime are going to supply a driver that can understand
> the new partitioning format?
>
> Are there any tools available for pulling drivers apart, disassembling them?
>
> Richard Sharpe

Rodime's new 2.0 driver (now in beta) uses the inside Mac Vol V parttioning
system.  The old driver WILL NOT WORK with the new partioning scheme-- headers
on the blocks (i.e signatures) are different for the new (vol V) and the old
(vol IV) schemes.

My opinions are mine, not U of M's nor Rodimes.

-dave falkenburg
 university of michigan computer aided engineering network
 Internet: falken@caen.engin.umich.edu
 UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken