[comp.sys.mac] LaserWriter password

joseph@cooper.UUCP (Joe Giannuzzi) (09/15/87)

My university has several Macs attached through the AppleTalk Network
to several printers, one of which is a LaerWriter Plus.  A problem has
arisen in that everyone is using the LaserWriter for everything including
draft copies.  I read recently on the net that there was a way to burn a
password into the LaserWriter EEPROM so that not everyone could use it.
How is this done?  How do you enter the password after it is burned in
so that you can use the LaserWriter.  Also, is there a way to change Chooser
to include a password that must be entered before a new printer can be
selected?

Thanx in advance.

Joe Gunoz	cmcl2!phri!cooper!joseph

"The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe,
 and everything is ... forty two."

john@latcs1.oz (John Pritchard) (08/31/88)

Does anyone know how to reset the password on a LaserWriter? This is
stored in the EEROM, and is normally 0, but our password somehow got
changed to an unknown value last week. This prevents our macs from
using the LaserWriter, since they must give the password before
downloading the quickdraw code.

Unfortunately, to reset the password to 0 via postscript, you need
to know the current password! According to an old news item, the only
solution is to disconnect the EEROM so that the LaserWriter will use
the default parameters. If anyone has done this before, I would be
very grateful for any info, eg: where is the EEROM located and what
is its part number?

Thanks,
John Pritchard
Internet:    john@latcs1.oz.au    UUCP: uunet!latcs1.oz.au!john

sys_ms@bmc1.bmc.uu.se (09/01/88)

In article <4579@latcs1.oz>, john@latcs1.oz (John Pritchard) writes:
> Does anyone know how to reset the password on a LaserWriter? This is
> stored in the EEROM, and is normally 0, but our password somehow got
> changed to an unknown value last week. This prevents our macs from
> using the LaserWriter, since they must give the password before
> downloading the quickdraw code.

	Does this mean there is a password system on a Laserwriter
	that can be used to limit access to the printer? Can it
	be used with Laserspool or some other spooling software?

> Thanks,
> John Pritchard
> Internet:    john@latcs1.oz.au    UUCP: uunet!latcs1.oz.au!john
	Mats Sundvall				+46/18174583
	Biomedical Center			mats@bmc1.BMC.UU.SE
	University of Uppsala, Sweden		psi%24020010197020::MATS

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (09/03/88)

I pulled the EEPROM and zeroed it out to fix this problem.  I don't know
a better solution.  Of course, you need a suitable EEPROM programmer.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

philip@latcs1.oz (Philip Lee) (09/06/88)

Thanks to Mike Berger for the solution, I have now installed a socket for
the 2804 EEPROM, so we can replace it when it happends again without wearing
out my nerves desoldering the beast.
According to our SA, the problem happends when you send a TEX job that is too
big for the page. TEX assumes device truncate and the LaserWriter assumes
software truncate, the result is some memory overflow which clobbers the EEPROM.
In the past, we've found the test page flag turned off/on and the copy
counter reset to some random number. However this time it was more drastic,
the password register was hit.
If this is correct, does anyone know of a solution to stop it from happening
again?
The LaserWriter is connected to the Pyramid through the RS232 port and to
several Mac Plus and SE's on the AppleTalk. It is used from the Pyramid
mainly for TEX work.

Philip P.H. Lee,
La Trobe University,
Dept. of Computer Science,	PHONE:	+61 (03) 479 2902
Bundoora,			A/CSnet:philip@latcs1.oz
Victoria 3083,			ARPA:	philip%latcs1.oz@uunet.uu.net
AUSTRALIA.	UUCP:{uunet,hplabs,mcvax,ukc,nttlab}!munnari!latcs1.oz!philip