[comp.sys.mac] Rodime disk drives and A/UX

rsharpe@flinders.cs.flinders.oz (Richard Sharpe) (08/25/88)

Folks,

I need some information about Rodime disks and how compatible they are with
Quantum disks etc. I have to investigate whether or not we can put A/UX onto a
Rodime disk. Please ignore the licencing issues for the moment (ie, Apple only
sell A/UX on an 80MB Quantum, as we are sorting those out).

The manuals on the Rodimes say that they are fully compatible with the Apple
HFS OS. Can anyone tell me what that means? Where are the device drivers for
Mac disks kept? On the disk?

Would anyone know whether it is possible to get A/UX to use a Rodime? How
would you go about partitioning a Rodime? How would you create a swap partiton
on a Rodime? The A/UX documentation I have does not discuss this point.

Regards
Richard Sharpe
PS, please note, I am not employed by Flinders University, I just have a guest
account on one of their hosts.

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (08/28/88)

I know that you can't initilize a Rodime drive under System 6.0 (wants to be
a floppy).  I don't know what software you would use to partition it.  You
might try HD partition from Symantec.  The Jasmine drives, however, come
with both SUM and their own software that they say follows Apple's rules about
partitioning to the letter and will work perfectly with A/UX.

Hopefully this answers some of your questions....

Mark Cookson

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Cooley) (08/29/88)

In article <8498@cup.portal.com>, Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com writes:
> I know that you can't initilize a Rodime drive under System 6.0 (wants to be
> a floppy).  I don't know what software you would use to partition it.  You
> might try HD partition from Symantec.  The Jasmine drives, however, come
> with both SUM and their own software that they say follows Apple's rules about
> partitioning to the letter and will work perfectly with A/UX.

I'll be buying a hard disk sometime in the near future and would like to
know the best buy.  I was planning on purchasing Rodime, since I heard
that they behaved nicely under control of Apple's drivers.  Now it appears
that 6.0 just thwarted those plans.

I need a drive that's solid (good-quality), around 50 MBytes, and
partitionable.

Any suggestions?

Email is welcome, but since I read this group regularly, I'll see it if
you post.  I'll summarize responses.

					--chris

J. Chris Cooley                         | husc6! -\
Computation. Center (COM 1)             |  im4u! -->-cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!jcc
Univ. of Texas at Austin                | uunet! -/
Austin, TX  78712                       |

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (08/29/88)

In article <8498@cup.portal.com>, Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com writes:

> I know that you can't initilize a Rodime drive under System 6.0 (wants to be
> a floppy).  I don't know what software you would use to partition it.  You
> might try HD partition from Symantec.  The Jasmine drives, however, come
> with both SUM and their own software that they say follows Apple's rules about
> partitioning to the letter and will work perfectly with A/UX.
>
> Mark Cookson

At MacWorld in Boston, Rodime promised some changes for their software.
A new version 2.0 driver is going thgrough testing right now (i'm running
a beta on my 1400RX) which supports Inisde Mac volume V format scheme and
faster data transfers.  The driver improves the access times slightly
(to about 25 msec).  True partitioning should be out sometime this fall

SUM's partitioning (as well as FWB software's Partitioner) uses a "fake"
partitioning scheme which utilizes an invisible (and sometimes encrypted)
file as a files system.  It does not use the standard partitioning scheme
outlined in Inside Mac volume V (the stuff required for A/UX compatibilty)

My opinions are my own, not those of the university of michigan
(i don't work for Rodmie either)

-dave falkenburg
 university of michigan computer aided engineering network
 Internet: falken@caen.umich.edu
 UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (08/30/88)

In article <5511@ut-emx.UUCP>, jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Cooley) writes:
> I was planning on purchasing Rodime, since I heard
> that they behaved nicely under control of Apple's drivers.  Now it appears
> that 6.0 just thwarted those plans.
> 					--chris

The new Rodime driver now lets you run format under system 6.0.  The
problem was that the driver code did not implement the necessary control
codes to return info on the device.  The new 2.0 version does support
system 6.0.   The old driver runs fine under system 6.0 EXCEPT if you try
to do a high level format via Erase Disk-- it used to ask whether or not
you wanted to format your Rodime as single or double sided (!)

My opinions are my own, not my employers.  etc. etc. etc.

-dave falkenburg
 university of michigan computer aided engineering network
 Internet: falken@caen.umich.edu
 UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (09/02/88)

I would check out a Jasmine drive, they are good, cheap, and the partitions
are bootable, real SCSI partitions, and A/UX compatable.

Mark Cookson

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (09/02/88)

The best partitioning software I have seen is from Jasmine, but it only works
on their drives....  Bummer.

Mark Cookson

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (09/03/88)

in article <5511@ut-emx.UUCP>, jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Cooley) says:

> In article <8498@cup.portal.com>, Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com writes:
>> I know that you can't initilize a Rodime drive under System 6.0 (wants to be
>> a floppy).  I don't know what software you would use to partition it.  You
>
> I need a drive that's solid (good-quality), around 50 MBytes, and
> partitionable.
>
> Any suggestions?

I can highly recommend Jasmine drives. They are fast, reliable, and
extremely reasonably priced. You won't find discounts on them, simply
because the list price isn't inflated. For example, I recently paid
$1249 for a 100 meg external drive.

The software that comes with the Jasmine drives is excellent, though
I had to trash the public domain staff when I repartionned (there wasn't
enough room on my internal hard drive to save the entire 8 or 9 meg of
stuff that was on the Jasmine drive). I used Jasmine's "driveware" to
manage the partions; it's easy to use. I'm also thrilled that the
Symantic Utilities are included.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (09/06/88)

In article <653@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>I can highly recommend Jasmine drives. They are fast, reliable, and
>extremely reasonably priced. You won't find discounts on them, simply
>because the list price isn't inflated. For example, I recently paid
>$1249 for a 100 meg external drive.
>The software that comes with the Jasmine drives is excellent, though
>I had to trash the public domain staff when I repartionned (there wasn't
>enough room on my internal hard drive to save the entire 8 or 9 meg of
>stuff that was on the Jasmine drive). I used Jasmine's "driveware" to
>manage the partions; it's easy to use. I'm also thrilled that the
>Symantic Utilities are included.

I have a Jasmine InnerDrive 140 for my Mac II and have been generally
pleased with the speed and reliability of the hardware (it's a Rodime
mechanism, like most of the drives that Jasmine is now using). The
manuals that come with the drive are pretty good, and the demo software
and utilities (Redux and SUM) are pretty good. However, I have had nothing
but problems with Jasmine's DriveWare. I got version 1.02 with my drive,
and version 1.06 from another InnerDrive I purchased for work (and had to
return later on). First of all, I kept on getting mysterious crashes
(mostly ID=01 and ID=25) in otherwise stable applications and DA's (Acta,
PageMaker 3.0, and VersaTerm - this is all with System 4.2, Finder 6.0,
and Suitcase and the SUM inits present). Secondly, any attempt to run
Apple's Disk First Aid software resulted in an instant crash. Finally, any
attempt to run Adobe Illustrator 88 (I have version 1.6, but I know 1.7 is
out) would also result in an instant crash. Naturally, I was a bit concerned
about this, and called Jasmine tech support. My problems with Disk First Aid
were known, but not documented. "Apple doesn't support our method of disk
partitioning." The Illustrator problem was also documented, and Jasmine blamed
the folks at Adobe for the problem. They were surprised that I was having any
other problems. So, thinking that perhaps the disk was corrupted, I reformatted
it with the 1.06 software (I'd already tried updating the driver before, with
no improvement). It still didn't help. I was frustrated that I could use the
same applications on an external Direct Drive 80, but if I copied the contents
of that disk to the Mac II and then ran from that disk, BOOM!!!

On the verge of sending the drive back (I'd already done so with the drive I
had ordered for work - since we're a desktop publishing service bureau, we
can't afford not to run Illustrator), I formatted the drive with the CMS
SCSI software for >100MB drives (it's available on GEnie, and the version that's
up there works with System 6.0). It now works perfectly, although the DiskTimer
II numbers aren't as good with the CMS utility as with the Jasmine stuff (
(the results were something like 28 reads, 28 writes, 7 access with driveware a
and 28:80:8 for the CMS utility). I have no idea of the legality of what I've
done, and take no responsibility if you do this and lose data. DO THIS AT YOUR
OWN RISK! One of these days I should contact CMS...

(interesting sidenote: Nuvo Labs, who write SCSI drivers for many different
companies including CMS, is suing Jasmine. It appears that Mr. Arthur Britto,
who used to work for Nuvo Labs, now works for Jasmine, and Nuvo is claiming
that he took proprietary information with him to Jasmine, information used in
their DriveWare software).

I've also heard that LaCie's Silver Lining SCSI driver software works with the
Jasmine drives, and can be purchased to use with other drives. I'm investigating
this option; if anyone has good/bad comments on their driver software, contact
me at one of the addresses below.

Robert

/ Robert Hammen		Web Tech, Inc.		hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu /
/ Delphi: HAMMEN	GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104		  /