[comp.sys.mac] Apple Printer Drivers

u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (L. Greg DeMichillie) (08/27/88)

I for one am quite glad that everyone and their cousing isn't writing
printer drivers.  A recent MacWeek editorial made the point that what does
the user do if Claris' software won't print to a Xereox printer using Cricket's
driver and Apple's operating system?  Who ya gonna call?
Printer drivers are the biggest hassle in the MS-DOS world.  Each application
comes on 6 disks, one for the program and 5 to support every god-awful printer
ever built.  And you can be damn sure that when Epson upgrades their printers
that you will need new and improved drivers to take advantage of their featuers.

My response: LET MS-DOS KEEP THE TROUBLE

Of course, device independent printing is the ideal, as I am sure Apple is
aware and working on.  But until that day, I'll stick with Apple printers
and Apple drivers.

-----
L. Greg DeMichillie                    "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way"
u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu              - Jessica Rabbit
lgdemichillie@deneb.ucdavis.edu
AppleLink: ST0178

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (08/28/88)

In article <2943@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu.UUCP (L. Greg DeMichillie) writes:
>Printer drivers are the biggest hassle in the MS-DOS world.  Each application
>comes on 6 disks, one for the program and 5 to support every god-awful printer
>ever built.  And you can be damn sure that when Epson upgrades their printers
>that you will need new and improved drivers to take advantage of their featuers.
>
>My response: LET MS-DOS KEEP THE TROUBLE
>
>Of course, device independent printing is the ideal, as I am sure Apple is
>aware and working on.  But until that day, I'll stick with Apple printers
>and Apple drivers.

But it is interesting that Apple was able to provide a good measure of
video display independence (i.e., any correctly written Mac application
should be able to run unmodified on any size/resolution monitor, or even
multiple monitors).  MS-DOS programs usually also have to include a disk
or 2 of drivers for various different video displays, and a program that
provides support for more than a handful of different displays is the
exception, rather than the rule.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

merchant@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Peter Merchant) (08/28/88)

In article <2943@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> L. Greg DeMichillie writes:
>Printer drivers are the biggest hassle in the MS-DOS world.  Each application
>comes on 6 disks, one for the program and 5 to support every god-awful printer
>ever built.  And you can be damn sure that when Epson upgrades their printers
>that you will need new and improved drivers to take advantage of their featuers.
>
>My response: LET MS-DOS KEEP THE TROUBLE

Every MS-DOS software package has to do this because there are lots of
printers out there and that MS-DOS does not provide any form of device
independent printing.

What I want is to be able to buy an Epson FX-286, call up Epson, and for an
extra $8 or so they send me a printer driver for my Macintosh.  I get the
disk, copy the file into my system folder, and I'm golden.

What I'm seeing is a replay of the MS-DOS world.  Apple doesn't support
other people's printers, the printer manufacturers have no wish to invest the
time and effort figuring and refiguring how to support Apple computers, so
developers (like Claris or Cricket) have to write support drivers for every
known printer and ship them with their products.  So you buy MacDraw II and
end up with (n) other disks to support other printers.
---
"Where everything was as fresh         Peter Merchant (merchant@eleazar.UUCP)
 as a bright blue sky..."                    (merchant@eleazar.dartmouth.edu)
                                             (Peter.G.Merchant@dartmouth.edu)

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (08/28/88)

In article <9942@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> Peter.G.Merchant@dartmouth.edu (Peter Merchant) writes:

>What I'm seeing is a replay of the MS-DOS world.  Apple doesn't support
>other people's printers, the printer manufacturers have no wish to invest the
>time and effort figuring and refiguring how to support Apple computers, so
>developers (like Claris or Cricket) have to write support drivers for every
>known printer and ship them with their products.  So you buy MacDraw II and
>end up with (n) other disks to support other printers.

Well, actually, the Apple situation is better than that.  Printer device
manufacturers need to either supply their own driver, or contract with someone
else to write one for them.  If the driver is well written, almost all
applications can use them transparently from the chooser.  There are only a few
APPLICATIONS nowadays that do not follow the general form of the Apple
guidelines, so there is a good chance that a driver will work almost everywhere.
The problems usually occur when applications "know" that all printers print to
"pages", so, for instance, Microsoft Word asks whether you want letter or legal
size when a slide printer is selected (my, how often Microsoft is the example
we choose when we want to demonstrate how something should not be done).
MPW does not bring up a Job dialog, so some device parameters can NOT be
selected for some devices.  etc.

The gripe printer DRIVER writers have is not so much that the interface is not
documented (it is,... well enough), but that there has been no thought given to
printer devices that are not isomorphic to laserwriters and imagewriters.  AND,
it has so far been impossible to enforce APPLICATIONS adherance to the fine
points in the guidelines.  For instance, most applications do not look at the
"resolution" fields of the PrintRec, and those that do - do it differently for
each one.  I had one application developer tell me that "I" had to change
because he had already shipped 8000 copies of code that used fake Handles for
the PrintRec, thus causing a Handle operation to bomb in the driver.

(grumble, grumble,...)

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

bob@eecs.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (08/29/88)

>What I want is to be able to buy an Epson FX-286, call up Epson, and for an
>extra $8 or so they send me a printer driver for my Macintosh.  I get the
>disk, copy the file into my system folder, and I'm golden.

100% agreement here. Apple's policy at this point seems to be aimed at
preventing other vendors from entering the (highly lucrative) printer
business. Apple should provide printer manufacturers, at the very least,
the directions for building printer drivers

Apple's argument that the printer drivers are to volatile for other people
to write only suggests that something is very screwed up with the printer
interface.

Bob Hablutzel		BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU
Disclaimer:	My bosses don't think I know anything, either.

lippin@skippy.berkeley.edu (The Apathist) (08/29/88)

Recently kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) wrote:

>The gripe printer DRIVER writers have is not so much that the
>interface is not documented (it is,... well enough), but that there
>has been no thought given to printer devices that are not isomorphic
>to laserwriters and imagewriters.  AND, it has so far been impossible
>to enforce APPLICATIONS adherance to the fine points in the
>guidelines.

As a printer driver writer, I have to object.  I've seen only a few
scraps of documentation from Apple on writing printer drivers since
the IM phone book, and that only gave a few hints, which were taken
out of the later documentation.  Most of the info that's available is
from people outside of Apple who've taken the system apart to see how
it works.  Mostly it's "Apple's drivers do this; if you do almost the
same thing, maybe your driver will work."  (Mine even worked with a
program from the M-company.  I was surprised.)

On the other hand, your point is well taken.  I'd rather have my
driver break with a few system releases while Apple tries to get
things right, than have them document, and thus freeze, the printing
manager in its current, rather brain-damaged state.

You've got to know when to code it,		--Tom Lippincott
	      know when to log out,		..ucbvax!math!lippin
	      know when to single-step,
	      know when to run...

ech@poseidon.UUCP (Edward C Horvath) (08/29/88)

! I for one am quite glad that everyone and their cousing isn't writing
! printer drivers.  A recent MacWeek editorial made the point that what does
! the user do if Claris' software won't print to a Xereox printer using Cricket's
! driver and Apple's operating system?  Who ya gonna call?
! Printer drivers are the biggest hassle in the MS-DOS world.  Each application
! comes on 6 disks, one for the program and 5 to support every god-awful printer
! ever built.  And you can be damn sure that when Epson upgrades their printers
! that you will need new and improved drivers to take advantage of their featuers.

! My response: LET MS-DOS KEEP THE TROUBLE

! Of course, device independent printing is the ideal, as I am sure Apple is
! aware and working on.  But until that day, I'll stick with Apple printers
! and Apple drivers.

Your sentiment is appreciated.  However, the situation is a bit different
in the Macintosh case: in particular, all (properly-written) Mac applications
open the printer interface, then "draw" each page using Quickdraw calls.  The
printer driver is responsible for capturing the Quickdraw (the infamous
bottlenecks) and turning them into whatever is needed for the printer.  Thus
Quickdraw is the printer-and-application-independent medium of exchange.

So the MacWeek concerns, and yours, are ill-founded.  If it prints on an
ImageWriter with Apple's driver, it ought to print on XYZ's printer with
PDQ's driver.  If it doesn't, call PDQ and tell 'em to get it right (or get
XYZ to fix it).

The only exception I know of is that some applications feed "PostScript
comments" through the Quickdraw interface when they "know" there's a PostScript
printer on the other side.  Again, if it prints on an Adobe-supported
LaserWriter, it ought to run on any putative clones.

The simple fact is that printer drivers are a black art, a jealously-guarded
secret (even WITHIN Apple, from the rumors I've heard).  There's no excuse
for keeping this information under wraps for over four years.

But then, there is certainly no pressure within Apple to actually document
and publish the printer driver interface: why on earth would they want to
make it easy to break their near-monopoly on Mac printers?  Recognize that
Apple are (rightly) interested in supporting only those developers who are
going to facilitate sales of APPLE's products.  They get no bucks, nor warm
fuzzies, from sales of other devices, so you have to somehow convince them
that Calcomp support is a gating factor on some number of Mac sales.  Do that,
and you'll get action.

=Ned Horvath=

fjo@ttrdf.UUCP (Frank Owen ) (08/29/88)

in article <2943@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (L. Greg DeMichillie) says:

> I for one am quite glad that everyone and their cousing isn't writing
> printer drivers.

Yeh. Who wants a choice in printers anyways? We SHOULD be satisfied with what
Apple has to offer. I'm sure that they MUST have a printer availible
that addresses all of our particuliar needs. And at a competitive
(competing with WHO?) price to boot!

> Of course, device independent printing is the ideal, as I am sure Apple is
> aware and working on.  But until that day, I'll stick with Apple printers
> and Apple drivers.

  Device independent printing was a design goal from day one.  How do you think
Apple can come out with radically diverse printers that pretty much work
with all prior applications just by supplying a printer driver?

	Another frustrated printer driver writer:
--
Frank Owen (fjo@ttrdf)  312-982-2182
AT&T Information Systems

ech@poseidon.UUCP (Edward C Horvath) (08/29/88)

> What I'm seeing is a replay of the MS-DOS world.  Apple doesn't support
> other people's printers, the printer manufacturers have no wish to invest the
> time and effort figuring and refiguring how to support Apple computers, so
> developers (like Claris or Cricket) have to write support drivers for every
> known printer and ship them with their products.  So you buy MacDraw II and
> end up with (n) other disks to support other printers.

I think you missed the signature on the original complaint: a gentleman from
Calcomp, who make LOTS of classy output devices.  He recognizes that if he
is going to sell his peripherals to Mac owners, he is going to have to
supply Mac drivers for his peripherals.  He wants to provide and is trying
to provide that support, and he is not getting any assistance from the
printer people at Apple.

If it is also the case that Apple cannot sell Macintoshes to those who need
Calcomp equipment -- which is most of the CAD/CAM market Apple is trying
to penetrate -- this insensitivity is costing Apple sales.  Convince an
Apple salesmen or two of that, and you (may) get the support you need.
Trying to get help from anybody because you expect them to be "nice"
is just silly; Apple, despite the save-the-world posturing, is no exception.

=Ned Horvath=

jweeks@umnd-cpe-cola.d.umn.edu (John A. Weeks III) (08/30/88)

A bit of devil's advocate might fit into the printer driver discussion:

Software developers always try to appeal to the widest audience possible
when writing general purpose software.  To meet this goal, the
programmer will often assume the user has the least common denominator
hardware.  If two printers of unequal function are in general use,
the special features of the better printer will not be well supported
(it will not allow the program to work as is with the widest array
of printers).

If a number of dot-matrix printers are available for the Mac, the
overall quality of dot-matrix printing may become much worse.
Even if several super good printers come on the market, its special
features may not fit into the context of programs written to
support a $79 Star Print-o-matic.

Perhaps Apple has raised the quality of printing by withholding
the documentation on printer drivers.  This might make the
ImageWriter II a few dollars more expensive that if it were
an open market type item, but it is a small price to pay for uniform
printer quality and all programs working with the same printer.

One only has to look at the IBM world for "proof".  Several times
applications have crossed my desk containing several disks full
of printer drivers, only to overlook one of my printers.

The ImageWriter II is supported by several IBM programs, but only
the basic features.  The Imagewriter II allows font downloading.
Do you ever see printer drivers supporting this feature?  Anything
the Epson can't do doesn't get done.

Get out the flame guns and go to it...

And an afterthought:  UltraScript is not 100% PostScript compatible.
Is Apple going to alter LaserPrep to compensate?

OS/2: Just Say No!        An Apple-A-Day Takes My Credit Card Away.
John A. Weeks III                             jweeks@luke.d.umn.edu
Disclaimer: I know nothing, I don't exist.    jweeks@cola.d.umn.edu

anson@spray.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (08/30/88)

In article <2943@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu.UUCP (L. Greg DeMichillie) writes:

>Printer drivers are the biggest hassle in the MS-DOS world.  Each application
>comes on 6 disks, one for the program and 5 to support every god-awful printer
>ever built.
 That's why Apple needs to support development of Chooser level drivers for
 the printers that are coming on the market. Otherwise, we'll get into the
 same situation as MS-DOS. It's already happening. Applications are already
 appearing which support certain printers through special drivers. If a
 Chooser level driver were available, this wouldn't be necessary.

 A proper driver should work with the printer is comes with, and with
 EVERY application.

>Of course, device independent printing is the ideal, as I am sure Apple is
>aware and working on.  But until that day, I'll stick with Apple printers
>and Apple drivers.
  And until that day, you won't be printing in color.
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      anson@elrond.CalComp.COM

dgold@Apple.COM (David Goldsmith) (08/30/88)

In article <474@poseidon.UUCP> ech@poseidon.UUCP (Edward C Horvath) writes:
>The simple fact is that printer drivers are a black art, a jealously-guarded
>secret (even WITHIN Apple, from the rumors I've heard).  There's no excuse
>for keeping this information under wraps for over four years.
>
>But then, there is certainly no pressure within Apple to actually document
>and publish the printer driver interface: why on earth would they want to
>make it easy to break their near-monopoly on Mac printers?  Recognize that
>Apple are (rightly) interested in supporting only those developers who are
>going to facilitate sales of APPLE's products.  They get no bucks, nor warm
>fuzzies, from sales of other devices, so you have to somehow convince them
>that Calcomp support is a gating factor on some number of Mac sales.  Do that,
>and you'll get action.
>
>=Ned Horvath=

I must take issue with this.  Apple certainly does derive revenue if we sell
a Macintosh to someone who would not have bought one otherwise if it could
not drive a favorite output device.

I won't attempt to explain why Mac has gone so long without a supported way
of third parties writing print drivers, but I can assure you it's not from
some Machiavellian attempt to monopolize the printer market.  There are
many knotty technical issues in writing print drivers (you're quite right
to call it a black art), and we'd like to resolve some of them before
there are fifty print drivers on the market and our hands are tied.  We
are interested in and are actively working on this problem.

Suffice it to say that the internals of the printing architecture are not
up to the standards we require in order to support external developers.

David Goldsmith                                           Apple Computer, Inc.
AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1    BIX: dgoldsmith         20525 Mariani Avenue, MS: 46B
UUCP: {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold       Cupertino, CA 95014
CSNET: dgold@apple.com

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (08/31/88)

In article <16341@apple.Apple.COM> dgold@apple.com.UUCP
		(David Goldsmith) writes:
>There are
>many knotty technical issues in writing print drivers (you're quite right
>to call it a black art), and we'd like to resolve some of them before
>there are fifty print drivers on the market and our hands are tied...
>
>Suffice it to say that the internals of the printing architecture are not
>up to the standards we require in order to support external developers.

I find this to be highly commendable in the abstract.  However, the
Macintosh is by this time considered by many to be a "mature product"
line of computers.  This implies to me that a well defined interface
to printing is long overdue.  Just about everyone who has a Mac has a
printer or the need for one.  Look at the most popular types of
programs which are sold for personal computers: Word Processors,
Spreadsheets, Accounting Packages, things to balance your checkbook.
Printing is important!!!

I find it outlandish in the extreme to hear from the manufacturer of a
mature product in the personal computer industry that "The exact
method of implementing printing on our machines is undocumented."  I
find it equally amazing that many, many businesses and high volume
printing users have consulted me regarding the use of my example
printer driver, Daisy, to drive their machines.  The feedback I
receive later indicates that many of them actually do use it in high
volume, high speed applications.  There is something wrong here when
commercial users have to rely on an example program from MacTutor
Magazine for a vital function like printing.  Nothing wrong with
MacTutor, I just don't in general consider it to be a source for high
performance business software.

We're getting awfully close to "fifty print drivers" even as you read
this.  There may not be time to resolve some of the issues before this
happens.  Apple should either document what they have now, and reserve
the right to implement "Version 2 Printing" later, or they should get
on the stick and fix the printing code real soon.  The present level
of uncertainty in this area is not real helpful to users, peripheral
manufacturers, developers, or anybody, I think.

Earle R. Horton. 23 Fletcher Circle, Hanover, NH 03755
(603) 643-4109
Email address expires soon, but try my wife: maxine@eleazar.dartmouth.edu.

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (09/02/88)

>I think you missed the signature on the original complaint: a gentleman from
>Calcomp, who make LOTS of classy output devices.  He recognizes that if he
>is going to sell his peripherals to Mac owners, he is going to have to
>supply Mac drivers for his peripherals.  He wants to provide and is trying
>to provide that support, and he is not getting any assistance from the
>printer people at Apple.

   One of my friends was offered $50,000 a year to work at CalComp and write
printer drivers for the Mac. He didn't take the job, hence there aren't any
printer drivers for CalComp stuff. Maybe if someone else would like to rectify
this situation by going to work for CalComp, everyone would be happy.
Pierce

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu    pwetter@caltech.bitnet pwetter@caltech.edu
  Weird theory #47: Islamic women can do kinky things with their ankles,
                    that's why the Koran says they aren't supposed to
                    reveal them in public.

victoro@crash.cts.com (Victor O'Rear) (09/05/88)

In article <7767@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Pierce T. Wetter) writes:
>>I think you missed the signature on the original complaint: a gentleman from
>>Calcomp, who make LOTS of classy output devices.  He recognizes that if he
>>is going to sell his peripherals to Mac owners, he is going to have to
>>supply Mac drivers for his peripherals.  He wants to provide and is trying
>>to provide that support, and he is not getting any assistance from the
>>printer people at Apple.
>>
>   One of my friends was offered $50,000 a year to work at CalComp and write
>printer drivers for the Mac. He didn't take the job, hence there aren't any
>printer drivers for CalComp stuff. Maybe if someone else would like to rectify
>this situation by going to work for CalComp, everyone would be happy.
>Pierce

I discovered, on my book shelf - long forgotten, a 1988 software catalog
that included some printer drivers.

Softstyle is a company we've heard of before, and many use their EpStart
epson drivers, but I did not know the other drivers that they make.

For your information:
	PlotStart w/ Cable $93.00 Discount
		HP Colorpro, the 7475a and 7550A

	BlueStart $33.00 Discount
		IBM's Proprinter, Quietwriter, Wheelwriter or Color Ink Jet

	JetStart V2.5 $33.00 Discount
		HP Thinkjet and Quietjet printers

	LazerStart V2.5 $71.00 Discount
		HP LaserJet or LaserJet Plus

	T.I. Start V2.5 $56.00 Discount
		All the TI Printers :-|

	ToshStart V2.5 $33.00 Discount
		All the Toshiba printers.

Looks like a good start.

!  Victor O'Rear {hplabs!hp-sdd, akgua, sdcsvax, nosc.mil}!crash!victoro      |
|  ARPA: crash!victoro@nosc.ARPA and home: (619) 588-7423 (Sand Eigo, Ca)     |
|  "Fools, Idiots! Don't they realize that they are dealing with forces       |
|        beyond comprehension!" - "Doctor Science"                            |

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (09/07/88)

Why in the world would anyone find it difficult to produce transparancies on
a Mac?????

The LaserWriter does an exellent job of producing transparancies.
  HINT #329 Never create a transparancy for a presentation that relies
            upon colour to be understood. People will want handouts. These
            end up being in black & white. The silde may be in colour,
            feel you need the added pazaz {be careful with red & green,
            this is the most comon form of colour blindness}, but should
            NEVER rely upon colour.

If you feel a need for colour transparancies, you can always use a plotter
with MacPlotts or MacPlottsII. These drive HP and other plotters.

The tools are there.

TeriAnn