[comp.sys.mac] System 6.0, Textures, HyperCharger 020 board

ghh@clarity.princeton.edu (Gilbert Harman) (09/04/88)

Some months ago I reported problems running Textures 1.01
under System 6.0 using an SE with a Hypercharger 020 board
<article 14231 of comp.sys.mac>.  Andy Nicas wrote to me
that he had a similar set up with no problems.  Further
investigation convinces me that he is right and there is no
problem in this particular interaction.  The difficulty
seems to arise in Textures if while in the typesetter I go
back to the editor without properly ending the typesetting
program and then try to restart the typesetter.  That causes
a bomb, and it happens in System 4.2 as well as in System
6.0.  If I remember to end the typesetter, e.g. with the
command x, before going back to the editor window, I do not
get bombs.

--
		       Gilbert Harman
                       Princeton University Cognitive Science Laboratory

		       ghh@princeton.edu
		       HARMAN@PUCC.BITNET

simon@alberta.UUCP (Simon Tortike) (09/07/88)

In article <GHH.88Sep4105011@clarity.princeton.edu>, ghh@clarity.princeton.edu (Gilbert Harman) writes:
> problem in this particular interaction.  The difficulty
> seems to arise in Textures if while in the typesetter I go
> back to the editor without properly ending the typesetting
> program and then try to restart the typesetter.  That causes
> a bomb, and it happens in System 4.2 as well as in System
> 6.0.  If I remember to end the typesetter, e.g. with the
> command x, before going back to the editor window, I do not
> get bombs.

A colleague of mine had this problem frequently on a Mac II.  I could never
reproduce the errors and asked Barry Smith of Blue Sky research about it.
The problem lay in being allowed to go into the editor without terminating
the typesetter (i.e. TeX) and then trying to start TeX again on top of the
original, suspended program.  This usually resulted in out-of-memory errors
and loss of any unsaved work.  The solution is to always terminate TeX from
the console window if there is no output.  Version 1.01b apparently doesn;t
have this problem.  Experienced users probably never saw it either.
Simon Tortike, Department of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineering,
The University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, CANADA T6G 2G6.
UUCP: alberta!simon  |  BITNET: stortike@ualtavm  |  AGT: +1 403/432-3338