[comp.sys.mac] Moire Bug? Also Flex

derek@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Derek J. LeLash) (07/28/88)

In article <11010034@hpfcdc.HP.COM> bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) writes:

>>Great news - but have you fixed the bug that causes the Imagewriter to
>>(under MacWrite na dmayber WriteNow) to print nothing but "Blackness" the
>>moment Moire kicks in????

>I haven't noticed "blackness" under WriteNow, though have seen it often under
>MacWrite. Currently, I just have this mental "kicker" that tells me, "when
>printing in MacWrite, put the mouse in the lower right corner". I really
>only use MacWrite when I happen to double-click on a MACA document by mistake
>instead of using WriteNow's format converter. I hope WriteNow 2.0 arrives
>soon!!

Oh great...
I've just started using Moire over Flex (which I liked) because of the latter's
inability to operate concurrently with Imagewriter printing, even with "Enable
Background Events," and now I hear this. I'm afraid to even try it. Is there
a screen saver out there that will:
- Do something vaguely interesting on-screen.
- Allow printing, etc. to go on "behind it" even in the case of MacWrite Image-
  writer printing, where the application does not generate any screen activity
  during printing.
- Allow some control over timing, "always sleep" and "never sleep" areas, etc.

Both Flex and Moire come close to meeting these requirements, but have the
problems mentioned above. Any ideas out there?

Derek
     Derek LeLash '88       |"People say I'm crazy, I got diamonds on the soles
 Derek.LeLash@Dartmouth.EDU |   of my shoes
----------------------------| Well, that's one way to lose these walking blues
 Mercenary TechWriter, etc. | Diamonds on the soles of my shoes."

rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) (07/29/88)

I have used PYRO. It ain't free, but it has not given me any problems.
And it work in color as well.

rob snevely

rdsesq@jessica.stanford.edu

blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (07/30/88)

Derek J. LeLash (derek@eleazar.dartmouth.edu) writes:
Is there
|a screen saver out there that will:
|- Do something vaguely interesting on-screen.
|- Allow printing, etc. to go on "behind it" even in the case of MacWrite Image-
|  writer printing, where the application does not generate any screen activity
|  during printing.
|- Allow some control over timing, "always sleep" and "never sleep" areas, etc.

I'll be releasing a new version of Fade to Black in a bit, which does all
of these.  It allows printing and modem activity (uploading and
downloading files in particular) to go on while the screen has been
blanked (although only on the 512Ke, Plus, and SE), you can set the delay
time, configure what events (keystrokes, mouse movement, disk insertion,
or mouse click) wake things up, and modify the delay time by cursor
placement.  You can also do some configuration of how the screen is
blanked, and what is displayed while blanked.

I'll be releasing this to the world at large after I've sent a copy to
everyone who sent me money or comments on the original version.  I'm
working on copying disks now, so it shouldn't be too long.

--
Brian L. Matthews  blm@cxsea.UUCP   ...{mnetor,uw-beaver!ssc-vax}!cxsea!blm
+1 206 251 6811    Computer X Inc. - a division of Motorola New Enterprises

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (09/06/88)

Pyro! v3.0 supports full background tasking... even for the foreground
application...

buy Suitcase and get Pyro! for free. Suitcase is worth it.  Buy now to save
some bucks on the upgrade.

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

jkjl@munnari.oz (John Lim) (09/07/88)

In article <0X8jcnyW2k-040v3xn@andrew.cmu.edu>, wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) writes:
> Pyro! v3.0 supports full background tasking... even for the foreground
> application...
>
> buy Suitcase and get Pyro! for free. Suitcase is worth it.  Buy now to save
> some bucks on the upgrade.
>
> b.bum
> wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

Yawn. Moire had background tasking since version 1.0.

	john
disclaimer : i wrote moire, so i'm biased of course...