[comp.sys.mac] Bad Floppy Drive

jweeks@umnd-cpe-cola.d.umn.edu (John A. Weeks III) (09/07/88)

jjs@juggler.PRC.Unisys.COM (James Solderitsch) writes:

> The system is a Mac Plus (upgraded from an original 128K machine
> around 20 months ago), and the internal floppy drive suddenly started
> to write spurious info to disks inserted in it thereby making disks
> unreadable on my external floppy drive which seems to be
> operating normally.  This faulty read-and-corrupt behavior was
> my first indication that something was wrong with the drive.

The Apple/Sony 3.5" disk drives have a VERY weak upper read/write
head mounting bracket.  I have seen several break from normal usage.
This results in bad alignment and incorrect reads/writes.  Unless
the bracket is totally broken, it is hard to confirm this problem
without removing the drive for inspection.

If your problem turns out to be associated with the drive head, take
it to a dealer and say "ouch" about 125 times.

OS/2: Just Say No!        An Apple-A-Day Takes My Credit Card Away.
John A. Weeks III                             jweeks@luke.d.umn.edu
Disclaimer: I know nothing, I don't exist.    jweeks@cola.d.umn.edu