[comp.sys.mac] Shareware charges

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (08/31/88)

In article <53@bridge2.UUCP> ngg@bridge2.UUCP (Norman Goodger) writes:
>I would stop
>procrastinating, and just pay the $20, anyone with a mac should be able to
>afford that and the .25 cent stamp....

Except for users elsewhere. I've got copies of bits of shareware marked
"... $20 drawn on a US bank account payable to ..." or somesuch. So it
ISN'T just a case of writing a cheque and popping it in the post.
   I'm inclined to just work out the equivalent in pounds sterling, write
a British cheque for this, and send this instead. How would this go down?
Would a US bank like it?

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (09/02/88)

In article <753@etive.ed.ac.uk>, nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:
> In article <53@bridge2.UUCP> ngg@bridge2.UUCP (Norman Goodger) writes:

> Except for users elsewhere. I've got copies of bits of shareware marked
> "... $20 drawn on a US bank account payable to ..." or somesuch. So it
>    I'm inclined to just work out the equivalent in pounds sterling, write
> a British cheque for this, and send this instead. How would this go down?
> Would a US bank like it?

	this causes so much hassles it is not worth it for anyone involved.

	I'd recommend to buy a travellor's check, sign and endorse it:

		FOR DEPOSIT ONLY by <name of the company>

	and snail-mail it, with a request for a receipt from the company,
	or do a "return-receipt-request" from the Post Office (not
	necessary in my experience).  keep a photo-copy and use send it
	in a follow-up letter if you do not receive a receipt!

--
--------------------> PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS <---------------------
(ARPA)	    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)

richard@claris.UUCP (Richard Scorer) (09/02/88)

In article <753@etive.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:
>   I'm inclined to just work out the equivalent in pounds sterling, write
>a British cheque for this, and send this instead. How would this go down?
>Would a US bank like it?

Nick,

The bank wouldn't mind it, but they do charge outlandish fees for servicing
foreign currency, and the shareware author would not receive much of his
fee - that's why he wants _you_ to get stuck with the processing fees, then
you both know he is getting exactly the amount of money he was intended to
receive.

My father sent me some money from NatWest - he telexed it, and informed the
NatWest branch to extract all fees at his end, so I would receive exactly
the amount I needed - lo and behold, good old Wells Fargo charged me for
receiving the telex & depositing the money - what a ripoff !!

So that's why !  Sorry to rabble on...

--

 Richard Scorer       *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!richard
 Claris Corporation   *   AppleLink: Scorer1   *   CompuServe: 74017,344

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (09/03/88)

I suspect that if you send a cheque for the amount requested plus 20%,
in your local currency, you'll make most shareware authors very
happy.  Considering the dismal return on much of the software, any
amount helps.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

lmichael@melbcae.edu.au (09/05/88)

In article <753@etive.ed.ac.uk>, nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:
> In article <53@bridge2.UUCP> ngg@bridge2.UUCP (Norman Goodger) writes:
>>I would stop
>>procrastinating, and just pay the $20, anyone with a mac should be able to
>>afford that and the .25 cent stamp....
>
> Except for users elsewhere. I've got copies of bits of shareware marked
> "... $20 drawn on a US bank account payable to ..." or somesuch. So it
> ISN'T just a case of writing a cheque and popping it in the post.
>    I'm inclined to just work out the equivalent in pounds sterling, write
> a British cheque for this, and send this instead. How would this go down?
> Would a US bank like it?

Interseting point.
In australia, to pay for a US $20 sharware product, you could go the post
office for an international postal order with a cost of about A $20 on top
to cover the associated costs.  Yuk!

This is madness, there must be an easier way!?!

Michael Veldman.
La Trobe University				Time is an Illusion,
Melbourne, Australia				Lunchtime doubly so!
ACSNET: lmichael@lvax.melbcae.edu.au		 - Ford Prefect

shulman@slb-sdr.UUCP (Jeff Shulman) (09/06/88)

In article <753@etive.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:
>Except for users elsewhere. I've got copies of bits of shareware marked
>"... $20 drawn on a US bank account payable to ..." or somesuch. So it
>ISN'T just a case of writing a cheque and popping it in the post.
>   I'm inclined to just work out the equivalent in pounds sterling, write
>a British cheque for this, and send this instead. How would this go down?
>Would a US bank like it?

Alas my bank would charge me $20 just to process any overseas check.
Thus, unless a check is drawn to a US (or Canadian) bank payable in US funds
I must send it back. Some US banks will also charge a $1 or so processing fee
for Canadian checks.  Another solution is International Postal Money Orders
which you should be able to obtain at any post office.  I've had no problems
with these but I did get strange looks from a bank teller when I presented
one of these from Japan.

If there were any other way for payments to be made to US shareware authors
from non-US users, I'd like to hear of it.
                                                        Jeff
--
uucp:     ...rutgers!yale!slb-sdr!shulman
CSNet:    SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (09/07/88)

In article <753@etive.ed.ac.uk>, nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:

> I've got copies of bits of shareware marked
> "... $20 drawn on a US bank account payable to ..." or somesuch. So it
> ISN'T just a case of writing a cheque and popping it in the post.
>    I'm inclined to just work out the equivalent in pounds sterling, write
> a British cheque for this, and send this instead. How would this go down?
> Would a US bank like it?
>
> 		Nick.
> --
> Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.

I must admit (from personal experience) it is something of a pain to be paid in
foreign currency.  A few years ago I published a couple of articles in a british
archery magazine.  The magazine paid me in Pounds Sterling (a check).
No local bank here in New Jersey would/could cash this check.
After some time, I WAS able to get the check cashed by a major bank in New York
City.

Believe me, it was a real inconveience.  Therefore, I would recommend to
anyone:  be kind to an author.  Please have your payments converted to THEIR
national currency before you send payment.

						Jim Collymore

spector@vx2.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (09/07/88)

I will agreee that it is probably a major hassle for folk overseas to
send small amounts of cash to shareware authors...

...but if your bank is charging you $$$ to process _deposits_ I would
either 1) find another bank  or  2) file a complaint with a) your state's
Banking Commission and b) the department of consumer affairs.

CitiBank here in NYC has never charged me for processing a _deposit_ of any
kind, they have gotten me for ~7 bucks a pop for certified or bank checks
(a concept I also object to, but I can rationalize a justification for it :-).

_DHMS
David HM Spector				   New York University
Senior Systems Programmer			   Graduate School of Business
ARPAnet: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			   Academic Computing Center
USEnet:...!{allegra,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector   90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
HamRadio: N2BCA      MCIMail: DSpector             New York, New York 10006
AppleLink: D1161     CompuServe: 71260,1410        (212) 285-6080
"What computer puts out work like this?"          "Hire us and we'll tell you."

rmh@Apple.COM (Rick Holzgrafe) (09/08/88)

In article <753@etive.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:
>[...] I've got copies of bits of shareware marked
>"... $20 drawn on a US bank account payable to ..." or somesuch. So it
>ISN'T just a case of writing a cheque and popping it in the post.
>   I'm inclined to just work out the equivalent in pounds sterling, write
>a British cheque for this, and send this instead. How would this go down?
>Would a US bank like it?
>
>Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
>		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick

I made no such specification in my shareware product, since I naively never
even considered that my efforts would be seen outside the U.S.  Since then
I've learned that it costs US$5.00 (five bucks American) to get a bank to
convert foreign cash or checks drawn on foreign banks, regardless of the
amount being converted.  Since my shareware price is only US$10, it's almost
not worth my while.  (I now have $14 Australian cash as a souvenir, and
I'm hoping enough more will arrive someday to make it worth converting!)

On the good side: in France there is an organization (I don't have my files
handy, so I can't name it - sorry!) which maintains a bulletin board of
shareware products, accepts payments from its subscribers on behalf of the
shareware authors, converts the payments to the author's native currency in
a lump, and mails the author an American Express money order for the total,
along with a list of names and addresses of the subscribers. Speaking as an
author, I think this is *marvelous*. The authors get their money and mailing
lists, the subscribers don't have to hassle money conversions *and* they
get a receipt - something most shareware purveyors (myself included) don't
provide. I don't know how these folks finance their operation; I just know
that I got paid in full, in American bucks, with a nice cover letter to boot.

Without such an organization, there's no clean answer. It costs us American
authors a significant fraction of the product price (for most products,
anyway) to convert foreign payments. I'm sure foreign subscribers have the
same problem when they try to pay up in foreign currency.  Anyone got any
suggestions?

(By the way, Mr. Rothwell -- thanks for asking!  $-)

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 27-O |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

barry@reed.UUCP (Barry Smith) (09/08/88)

well, this may be the way of the future :-)

we've found that VISA and MasterCard work well for international
financial transactions: the transfer can happen by telephone, in
one or two days; the currency exchange is handled automatically;
the fees are reasonable (in our case easily less than 5 percent).

our bank is probably more helpful than most, so it was not difficult
to set the handling up.  it would seem that a shareware author
handling more than, say, 100 dollars/month might look into this method.

Barry Smith
Blue Sky Research

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (09/08/88)

>Without such an organization, there's no clean answer. It costs us American
>authors a significant fraction of the product price (for most products,
>anyway) to convert foreign payments. I'm sure foreign subscribers have the
>same problem when they try to pay up in foreign currency.  Anyone got any
>suggestions?

Not many, unfortunately. This isn't just a problem with shareware, but with
many/most international situations.

The way it is generally handled with Science fiction things (conventions,
fanzines, etc) is that you set up a relationship with an agent/distributor
in the given country. They handle all of the payments for that country, do
the mailing locally (you airship the issue to them in bulk) and do all the
administrivia. They hold onto the money for expenses or convert the currency
in bulk at one time. In return, they get something like a free subscription
or membership, egoboo, or perhaps a cut in the profits, if any.

This unfortunately assumes that you have a known audience requesting a
specific service, rather than sending the product out as sharware and
waiting for payment. But it's possible that the shareware authors can band
together in the major countries (like France seems to have) and have a
central clearing bureau. Or perhaps shareware authors can find shareware
authors in other countries and agree to sponsor each other's products.

It's a nasty situation. Unfortunately, the only real winners seem to be the
banks.

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ
Editor/Publisher, OtherRealms

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (09/08/88)

rmh@apple.com.UUCP (Rick Holzgrafe) writes:
> On the good side: in France there is an organization [which] accepts
> payments from its subscribers on behalf of the shareware authors,
> converts the payments to the author's native currency in a lump, and
> mails the author an American Express money order for the total [...]
> Without such an organization, there's no clean answer.

	One possibility would be to use the universal currency -- blank
disks.  Call one virgin 3-1/2" disk equal to 1 US Dollar (or 5 French
Francs, or 0.50 English Pounds, or...).  If your shareware price is 10 US
Dollars, be willing to accept 10 blank disks from somebody without
convenient access to US funds.

	Of course, the postage to mail 10 disks accross the pond might
exceed their value, so maybe it's not such a good idea after all.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (09/08/88)

   ]
   ]       Of course, the postage to mail 10 disks accross the pond might
   ]exceed their value, so maybe it's not such a good idea after all.

And not all diskettes are the same...Brand X and Brand Y may be miles
(kilometers?) apart in terms of reliability/longevity.

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:    {ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince
		    ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

wade@sdacs.ucsd.EDU (Wade Blomgren) (09/08/88)

In article <10245@reed.UUCP>, barry@reed.UUCP (Barry Smith) writes:

> our bank is probably more helpful than most, so it was not difficult
> to set the handling up.  it would seem that a shareware author
> handling more than, say, 100 dollars/month might look into this method.
>
> Barry Smith
> Blue Sky Research

One thing to note about setting up a VISA/MC acceptance capability, which
is particularly applicable to most shareware purveyors:

Most (if not all) banks are HIGHLY reluctant to set you up as a VISA/MC
vendor if you do not have a separate office, outside of your home, with a
lease, and at least some track record of being "in business".  They have been
burned too many times by people setting up phony mail order houses in
residences and running up large charge credits, then never shipping any
product.  If you are well established with the bank, have a stellar personal
financial record, and beg a lot, they may let you participate.

There is no way they will play along if they get a hint that your total
charge card revenues may be 100 dollars per month. At that level of activity
it is simply not worth the risk to the bank (they will make maybe 4 cents on
the dollar...a whopping $4 per month )   If you can pull it off, great, but
be prepared for a bit of a battle.  A friend and I managed to convince our
bank to let us accept charge cards a few years ago for an ill-fated project
to rent computer terminals to students, but only after massive hassle.  We
claimed that without the ability to charge the rental, our average customer
would not be able to handle the expense, or something like that, and the
bank relented.  In our case it turned out we never actually submitted any
charges, as we came to perceive it as a greater hassle than accepting a check.

This is not meant to be a discouraging message, just a forewarning...

Wade Blomgren
wade@sdacs.ucsd.edu