[comp.sys.mac] Suitcase II upgrade?

) (09/07/88)

Hi,

	Just saw the press release on Suitcase II.  It sounds real nice, but
does anyone know what the upgrade policy will be?  Will registered owners get a
postcard, should we write to the company, or what?  And what's the time frame?

Thanks, Rich

felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) (09/08/88)

In article <8809061912.AA00250@decwrl.dec.com>, long@rainbo (Now HE will ask the questions!) writes:

>Hi,
>
>	Just saw the press release on Suitcase II.  It sounds real nice, but
>does anyone know what the upgrade policy will be?  Will registered owners get a
>postcard, should we write to the company, or what?  And what's the time frame?
>
>Thanks, Rich

Well... it is too late... I got a card update 2 weeks ago. The policy was
approximatively the following:

For free, you get Suitcase 1.3 (nothing really exciting considering that 1.3
1.4 patches are around on the net.

For 10 $, you get Suitcase 1.3 & Pyro 3.0 (I am not sure it is 3.0, but it is
for sure a new version with lot of new stuff)

For 25 $ You get Suitcase II & Pyro 3.0.

Of course, this was for registered user... And the offer expired on the 31st of
August. If you are a registered user and did not get your card, give them a call
and complain.

They also said that Pyro will now be available as a separate product.

BTW, I send my 25$... But did not get anything yet. Anybody got his upgrade, or
are they still fixing the very last bugs.

Hope it helps,
Francois Felix INGRAND                          SRI International, AIC
                                                333, Ravenswood Avenue
felix@AI.SRI.COM                                MENLO PARK, CA 94025

jwhitnell@cup.portal.com (09/08/88)

long@rainbo.dec.com (Now HE will ask the questions!) writes...
|        Just saw the press release on Suitcase II.  It sounds real nice, but
|does anyone know what the upgrade policy will be?  Will registered owners get a
|postcard, should we write to the company, or what?  And what's the time frame?
If you are a registered owner of Suitcase, you should have recieved an
update notice (I got mine a week or two ago).  If you havn't given Fifth
Generation a call.

Jerry

-
Jerry Whitnell
jwhitnell@cup.portal.com
..!sun!cup.portal.com!jwhitnell

ted@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ted Jardine) (09/08/88)

In article <8809061912.AA00250@decwrl.dec.com>, long@rainbo.dec.com writes:
> Hi,
> 	Just saw the press release on Suitcase II.  It sounds real nice, but
> does anyone know what the upgrade policy will be?  Will registered owners get
> a postcard, should we write to the company, or what?  And what's the time
> frame?
> Thanks, Rich

Got my letter in the mail last week.  As I remember it, there were three
options.  Registered owners of SuitCase could recieve an upgrade to 1.3
for free.  An upgrade to SuitCase 1.5 costs a little bit (I seem to recall
$15).  An upgrade to SuitCase 2.0 along with a copy of Pyro! 3.0 would
cost $30.  Seemed like far short of unreasonable, so I sent for option 3.
Must say, however, that the explanation of what you were getting for the
$15 or $30 was a bit short on technical details.  Not a complaint, just
an assessment.  Haven't received anything back yet, but its still a
little soon for that.

--
TJ {With Amazing Grace} The Piper
aka Ted Jardine  CFI-ASME/I

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (09/08/88)

>They also said that Pyro will now be available as a separate product.

I believe what's going to happen is Pyro will be bundled with some other,
small utilities into a new package rather than being strictly a stand-alone
product.

>BTW, I send my 25$... But did not get anything yet. Anybody got his upgrade, or
>are they still fixing the very last bugs.

They're evidently fixing final bugs. I got a followup postcard from them
saying they were delayed, apologized for it, that the new release date would
be September 15 (they hoped) and that if I didn't want to wait, I could
return the postcard and get a full refund.

Me, I'm waiting....

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ
Editor/Publisher, OtherRealms

fosler@inmet.UUCP (09/09/88)

	I just received a post card from 5th Generation saying they were
	sorry that the shipment of Suitcase was delayed and if I wanted
	a refund of my $25 to return the postcard to them. I thought this
	was a very nice gesture, but I am holding out for SC2.0.

	Bruce Budd
	Budd@eve.inmet.com

fisher@elxsi.UUCP (Chuck Fisher) (09/09/88)

Suitcase 2.0 and Pyro 3.0 are supposed to start shipping around
September 15.

Chuck