[comp.sys.mac] Rodime Drives, system 6.0, and font/da mover

ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) (09/06/88)

If any of you have the Rodime 1400Rx or similar drives, I guess you all know of
the problem with disk first aid by now. Howver, Ive come across a rather worse
problem, with font/da mover. I dunno exactly how related it is, all I know is
that the drive makes the same nasty long head movement type noise as it does
when disk first aid doesnt work.

Symptoms are: If the system file is fairly large (1.8Mb in my case), and fairly
fragemented, the font/da mover can die a rather horrible death while trying to
add extra fonts or font sizes. If you are lucky, it just bombs with an odd
dialog about an unexpected error, if you are really unlucky the fonts in the
system file can get corrupted so that attempts to use them crash the machine
with spectacular flashing on the display, or once the system file grew to
over 10Mb - much of which was rubbish.

Making a copy of the system file so it is not fragmented before using font/da
mover can often give quite different results. Does anyone know whether this
is a problem with the rodime driver, or with font/da mover?

Does anyone know when the new driver is coming out?

Ralph

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (09/10/88)

In article <531@cf-cm.UUCP>, ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) writes:
> the problem with disk first aid by now. Howver, Ive come across a rather worse
> problem, with font/da mover. I dunno exactly how related it is, all I know is
> that the drive makes the same nasty long head movement type noise as it does
> when disk first aid doesnt work.

 <Stuff deleted>

> Does anyone know when the new driver is coming out?
>
> Ralph

I'd guess that it's a problem with the Font/DA mover.  I had a similar problem
trying to install fonts into a file on an appleshare server (which does not
support the _allocContig call to avoid fragmentataion)   A similar situation
arrose.

-dave falkenburg
 university of michigan computer aided engineering network
 Internet: falken@caen.engin.umich.edu
 UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken