[comp.sys.mac] Why am I getting this sad mac?

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (09/07/88)

My brother is having some trouble with my old mac now in his posession.
This is a 512E upgraded with a Human Touch Computer Products (now defunct
but I know their engineers) 3-2-1 board which features a 12 MHz 68000
and an additional 1.5 meg of ram (for 2 Meg total).

It is currently running a minimalish System Tools 5.0 and HTCP's ram disk
software.

This system has operated fine in this state for quite some time.

TOday for the second time in recent weeks while working in Pagemaker (not
sure if its 2.0 or a more recent rev) he suddenly got a sad mac with 0f0003
which on boot-up would be an illegal instruction trap.

Anybody know what's happening?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Josh
-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-9515   (school office)

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (09/08/88)

Isn't 0F0003 having the interupt button down on boot???  If so, check this, if
not, I can't remember all those stupid codes and that is my disclaimer.

Mark Cookson

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (09/09/88)

In article <8847@cup.portal.com> Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com writes:
>Isn't 0F0003 having the interupt button down on boot???  If so, check this, if
>not, I can't remember all those stupid codes and that is my disclaimer.
>
>Mark Cookson

Well, the sad mac dode listing I once got off the net said it was an
illegal instruction error.  If this is not so, please somebody tell me.
I really need to figure out whats going on here.

Josh

-------------------------

bob@eecs.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (09/09/88)

>Isn't 0F0003 having the interupt button down on boot???  If so, check this, if
>not, I can't remember all those stupid codes and that is my disclaimer.

Nope. 0F0003 is an illegal instruction. 0F000D is the programmers switch.

All the codes, as I have them:

	01xxxx		ROM test failed
	02nnnn		Mem test (Bus sub test)
	03nnnn		Mem test (Byte write)
	04nnnn		Mem test (Mod 3 test)
	05nnnn		Mem test (Addr uniqueness)
	0F0001		Bus error
	0F0002		Address error
	0F0003		Illegal instruction
	0F0004		Zero divide
	0F0005		Check instruction
	0F0006		TrapV instruction
	0F0007		Privilege violation
	0F0008		Trace
	0F0009		Line 1010
	0F000A		Line 1111
	0F000B		"Other exceptions"
	0F000D		NMI

nnnn, when it appears, tells the bad chips. It is a bit map, the bit
number set corresponds to the suspect chip.

Do I guarantee this information? No way, bud.

Bob Hablutzel		BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) (09/11/88)

In article <5026@netnews.upenn.edu> hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) writes:
>My brother is having some trouble with my old mac now in his posession.
>This is a 512E upgraded with a Human Touch Computer Products (now defunct
>but I know their engineers) 3-2-1 board which features a 12 MHz 68000
>and an additional 1.5 meg of ram (for 2 Meg total).
>
>TOday for the second time in recent weeks while working in Pagemaker (not
>sure if its 2.0 or a more recent rev) he suddenly got a sad mac with 0f0003
>which on boot-up would be an illegal instruction trap.

If the sad mac code was 0F000D, it would mean that you touched the NMI
switch (also called "Programmer's switch" on the side of your mac. If
not, you're in big trouble.

Normally, an exception state interrupt is trapped and handled by the
System Error Handler routine SysError, which displays the bomb
alert on the screen. Debugger like Macsbug or TMON patch the trap
jump table to replace SysError by their own error handler.

In your case, the interrupt ("Illegal Instruction") has *not* been
handled in a normal way. This indicates either that a part of your system
jump table was clobbered, or that you have a hardware problem. If this
is the case, I'd guess that either your 3-2-1 board or the heat inside
the computer case may be the culprit (It's not the first time I'd see
a microprocessor performing a double summersault in an unfriendly
environment).

-- Danny

| Mail   :   Danny Schwendener, ETH Macintosh Support Center            |
|            Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, CH-8092 Zuerich     |
| Bitnet :   macman@czheth5a      UUCP   :   {cernvax,mcvax}ethz!macman |
| Ean    :   macman@ifi.ethz.ch   Voice  :   yodel three times          |