[comp.sys.mac] Paul Mercer's SCSI Cdev

lewis@beva.bev.lbl.gov (Steve Lewis) (09/08/88)

I have enjoyed the use of this clever tool on my Mac+ at home, running
4.2/6.0 with 2.5MB ram and a PL30 external HD.  When used on a 2.5MB SE with
CMS internal HD (45Meg), same software down to the inits, it displays the
correct SCSI information, thereafter the SCSI bus is locked up.  Only a
power cycle restores operations.

Has anyone else had these problems?  If so, is there a newer version or
any workaround?  How can I contact Paul Mercer (the number in the cdev
information is incorrect)?

	--- Thanks

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (09/09/88)

lewis@beva.bev.lbl.gov(??) in comp.sys.mac

>I have enjoyed the use of this clever tool on my Mac+ at home, running
>4.2/6.0 with 2.5MB ram and a PL30 external HD.  When used on a 2.5MB SE with
>CMS internal HD (45Meg), same software down to the inits, it displays the
>correct SCSI information, thereafter the SCSI bus is locked up.  Only a
>power cycle restores operations.
>
>Has anyone else had these problems?  If so, is there a newer version or
>any workaround?  How can I contact Paul Mercer (the number in the cdev
>information is incorrect)?

	Paul is now employed by Apple Computers, inc. in the System Software
group (He's working on the Finder) and he has recently released a complete
new update to all of his utilites including SCSI, Color Desk, ShowINIT, etc.
which are publicly distributable and are available through BMUG, or many of
the online services.  If there is enough call, I could even be convinced to
binhex them and send them off to the binary moderator.

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +
+                                 +                                   +

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (09/11/88)

In comp.sys.mac (just the previous message) I wrote:

[ Discussion about Paul Mercer's Utilities ]

> If there is enough call, I could even be convinced to
>binhex them and send them off to the binary moderator.

	O.K. Enough already.  I have sent off to the comp.sys.mac moderator a
binhexed file containing the latest versions of ShowINIT, ScrapSaver, SCSI cdev,
Programmer's Key and New Apple Menu.  They should be coming soon...This file
will be in Stuffit 1.5.1 format usng HMF's!

Leonard Rosenthol
President, LazerWare inc.

pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Paul G. Nevai) (09/12/88)

I'd luv to see Paul Mercer's stuff on the net.

Paul Nevai                                pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu
Department of Mathematics                 TS1171@ohstvma.BITNET
The Ohio State University                 73057,172.Compu$erve
Columbus, OH 43210                        1-(614)-292-5310.office
U.S.A.                                    1-(803)-292-4975.secy