[comp.sys.mac] Old Screeching DataFrame HD

evans@mhuxt.UUCP (Steve Crandall) (09/04/88)

I have come into an old DataFrame 20 that screeches loudly. I seem to
remember people claiming that there is an antistatic brush in the
unit that is the culprit. Could someone send me info on doing the
surgery?

many thanks!
Steve Crandall
att!mhuxt!evans

Fabian@cup.portal.com (09/08/88)

Steve,

Depending upon how old your DataFrame 20 is and which mechanism is in your
DF20 (there were two different mechanisms used: Microscience and Seagate),
there may be a "cure."

If your mechanism is a Microscience manufactured before November '86, the
infamous Static Brush problem can be alleviated.  Best thing would be to
contact a SuperMac Authorized Dealer.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

chrish@unet.pacbell.COM (Chris Helgeson) (09/09/88)

In article <2451@mhuxt.UUCP> evans@mhuxt.UUCP (Steve Crandall) writes:

>I have come into an old DataFrame 20 that screeches loudly. I seem to
>remember people claiming that there is an antistatic brush in the
>unit that is the culprit. Could someone send me info on doing the
>surgery?
>
>many thanks!
>Steve Crandall
>att!mhuxt!evans

I also would appreciate any information on this topic...

Thanks!
C. Helgeson
ames!unet!chrish

zink@pc.ecn.purdue.edu (William T. Zink) (09/13/88)

To stop an old HD from screeching, one must place a tiny drop of
fine oil under the copper anti-static bushing. This is found by removing
the drive unit from the case, removing the Torx screws which hold down
the logic board, and lifting the board slightly away from the drive. Caution:
it can not come away very far! A small oiler tube can then be slid in under
the flat copper pad which rests on the point in the center of the silver
fly-wheel. I hope thisinformation is helpful.