[comp.sys.mac] What to do for mail?

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (08/24/88)

From article <19880822142451.5.ROB@PADDINGTON.MIT.EDU>, by rob@GOLDILOCKS.MIT.EDU (Robert Kassel):

> We're in the process of switching from using a DEC-20 for mail and text
> processing to using a network of Mac's.  I've been having difficulty
> locating applications to handle mail.
>
> Here's the situation I envision.  We will have a Sun 4 acting as a file
> server and store-and-forward mailer.  Alternatively, we could use a Mac
> as a mail server.  We will be using a Cayman Systems GatorBox as a
> network bridge.

I have not yet purchased a mail system for our macintosh network, but have
been looking at all the options and trying to find one that is able to
talk to our existing unix mail system.  I know of 5 systems:

D------	DaynaMail
|I-----	Inbox
||M----	Microsoft Mail
|||Q---	Quickmail

    S	Talks to unix
DIMQ	Talks to other Macs
DI  	Talks to PCs
   Q	Will talk to PCs (announced)
 IMQ	Will talk to unix in the future (announced)
   Q	Talk to ASCII/Serial hosts (this may be a way to get unix connectivity)

D MQ	Requires Macintosh running Mail Server full time
  MQ	Mail Server can coexist with AppleShare and LaserShare
DI Q	Can substitute AppleShare Server for Mail server

DIMQ	Always Accessable (DA)
DIMQ	Incoming message notification  (INIT)
DIMQ	Attach other documents (Write/Paint/Draw etc)
DIMQ	Return Receipts
 IMQ	Password and Automatic logon

--------

Stanford's program, from tidbits that I have found on the net is an
application (as opposed to a da), can not notify you of incoming mail,
and is not suitable for mac to mac mail.  I have not seen the package,
literature on it, or anything else concrete, so I can't be sure of my info
on it.

--------

I have looked closest at quickmail.  The company impresses me.  I have
QuickKeys by them, and am impressed by it.  They sent me gobs of
information about Quickmail and the rest of their product line (I have
one page of info that the others sent).

---------

I have only listed items that interest me, and that I have found in
the information that I have.  Although I have tried to be thorough ,
may be missing some features of some packages, or marked some features
that are not there.

--------

Current market trends have everyone scurrying to interface to SMTP or
other large scale networks, so I expect that the everyone will
eventually have the connectivity that I want (just not now :-( ).

--------

A company, Star nine, is putting a gateway between AUX and QuickMail into
beta testing.  They estimate that with in a year they will have a version
working on a vax with 4.3BSD, and maybe sooner if the interest is there.
I said that I was very interested.  If you have any questions about this
or want to encourage them along, you can contact Elizabeth McGee at
starnine%mcgee@uunet.uu.net

--------
Let me know if you come up with anything else interesting.

--
 William C. DenBesten
 denbeste@bgsu.edu

prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul R. Wenker) (08/24/88)

In article <2791@bgsuvax.UUCP> denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) writes:
>I have not yet purchased a mail system for our macintosh network, but have
>been looking at all the options and trying to find one that is able to
>talk to our existing unix mail system.  I know of 5 systems:
>
>D------	DaynaMail
>|I-----	Inbox
>||M----	Microsoft Mail
>
>    S	Talks to unix
> IMQ	Will talk to unix in the future (announced)
>   Q	Talk to ASCII/Serial hosts (this may be a way to get unix connectivity)

We've gotten QuickMail to talk to our UNIX box without too many
problems.  The biggest problem we had was that QuickMail kept sending
'ATH0' to the UNIX machine.  When login got that, it decided to go
into uppercase mode (yeecch!).

Anyway, sending mail from the Mac to UNIX is pretty easy.  You just
set up a user with a name (i.e. "John Q. Public") and an address (i.e.
jqp@unixbox).  Sending mail to UNIX users is no different that sending
mail to Mac users.

Sending mail from UNIX to the Mac is almost as easy, but was a little
more work.  We set up a site called 'quickm'.  To mail something to a
Mac user, you just mail to user@quickm (i.e. jqp@quickm).  Since the
QuickMail scripting language isn't really set up to read the UNIX mail
headers, the quickm site adds an XTo: line (so the user's full name can
easily be extracted) and an XFrom: line (to facilitate replies from
QuickMail).  There are several people here who have their UNIX mail
forwarded to their Mac.

The problems we have yet to work out include:

-UNIX users cannot reply to messages sent from QuickMail.  The return
path is wrong.

-UNIX users cannot send to multiple QuickMail users.  Messages must be
sent to each user individually.

-Getting QuickMail to talk to the UNIX box via a direct line rather
than a modem.  QuickMail REALLY wants to be talking to a modem.

We've been very happy with QuickMail.  It's functionality far exceeds
that of InBox, which we had been using previously.  It's also one
tenth the cost.

-Paul Wenker			prw@meccsd
-MECC, Technical Services

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (08/26/88)

In article <950@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG> prw@meccsd.UUCP (Paul R. Wenker) writes:

>We've gotten QuickMail to talk to our UNIX box without too many
>problems.  The biggest problem we had was that QuickMail kept sending
>'ATH0' to the UNIX machine.  When login got that, it decided to go
>into uppercase mode (yeecch!).
>
>Anyway, sending mail from the Mac to UNIX is pretty easy.  You just
>set up a user with a name (i.e. "John Q. Public") and an address (i.e.
>jqp@unixbox).  Sending mail to UNIX users is no different that sending
>mail to Mac users.

Could you perhaps post your script or Email it to me. I tried to mail you
without success. We have a VMS machine that we would like to hook up to and
a script would be a good starting place.

Thanks in advance.

--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

t-cohen@microsoft.UUCP (Chris Cohen) (08/26/88)

In article <2791@bgsuvax.UUCP>, denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) writes:
> --------
>
> Stanford's program, from tidbits that I have found on the net is an
> application (as opposed to a da), can not notify you of incoming mail,
> and is not suitable for mac to mac mail.  I have not seen the package,
> literature on it, or anything else concrete, so I can't be sure of my info
> on it.
>
> --------

Since I was one of the two people who designed and implemented this while I
was at Stanford I'll make some comments:

  - I don't know if this has been officially released yet, or when (if) it
    will be available to the public

  - it is _not_ intended to be a Mac-to-Mac mailer, but is supposed to provide
    a friendly user interface to a Unix mail system (such as that running
    at Stanford).

  - it requires a mail-server running SMTP (usually a UNIX host of some sort)

  - it provides similar functionality to the popular UNIX based mailers (such
    as MH) with the obvious advantages of the Mac interface

  - it also incorporates an "address-book" feature, with direct cut-and-paste
    to and from messages

  - fully MultiFinder compatible

  - it's implemented in MacApp

Michael Cohen
Program Manager, Networking
Microsoft Corp.

Disclaimer (as usual): opinions are all mine

dyker@uswat.UUCP (Barbara Dyker) (09/13/88)

The summary of currently available mail packages for the mac was good, but...

checkout uShare by Information Presentation Technologies.
Supposidly it provides an interface to SMTP on a unix host for the mac.  The
software on the mac is an application and can notify you of incoming mail while
in another application.  The mac is not an SMTP server, it just allows you to
send and receive mail through a SMTP mail server without logging in via telnet
to do it.  uShare is a modular product that also provides things like terminal
emulation, file sharing (unix host as AppleShare server), print spooling (to
the unix host lpq)...

Interesting note:  uShare provides and upgrade to Kinetics software that MUST
be installed.  The software causes the Kinetics to talk TCP/IP on the Ethernet
side.  Therefore uShare is incompatible with certain software that relies
Kinetics/IP, eg. Tops for the Sun.  It IS compatible with NCSA Telnet.

This product is on the shelf.  I just haven't gotten mine yet.

Barbara J. Dyker		dyker%uswest@boulder.Colorado.EDU