[comp.sys.mac] AUX Mac II drives and memory

access@iucs (BACS Access) (09/03/88)

I am in the process of putting together a small cluster of A/UX
Mac IIs to support an InterMedia Project (Brown University's).

I intend to have 2 client stations and 1 document server (plus
Ingres served from some other Unix machine).  I plan to buy
stripped down Mac IIs and add drives and memory.  Probably internal
80 or 100MB internal drives on the clients and a 300MB for the server.
Does anyone have opinions about using A/UX on CMS drives or Rodimes?
Got any favorites?    How about memory.  I know I need 4MB minimum
on each station.  Any hints about where to buy the memory?

respond to:    !iuvax!silver!cole
               cole@iubacs.bitnet
               cole.bacs.indiana.edu

               Robert Cole
               Center for Innovative Computer Applications
               Indiana University
               Student Building
               Bloomington, IN 47405
               812-855-9145

matthew@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73550000) (09/04/88)

In article <12375@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> access@iucs (BACS Access) writes:
>I am in the process of putting together a small cluster of A/UX
>Mac IIs to support an InterMedia Project (Brown University's).
>...    How about memory.  I know I need 4MB minimum
>on each station.  Any hints about where to buy the memory?

Due Apple's internal policy,... the best way to get the memory is
to order as much as you possibly can WITH the A/UX systems.

Ordering 4 MB from Apple takes about 8-12 months.
Ordering 4 MB with your A/UX system takes 5 working days.

Take advantage of your situation, and buy the memory while you have
the chance.  (it's also cheaper to get it inside the A/UX system,...
especially after the recent price increases)

Matthew Kaufman
matthew@ucscb.ucsc.edu
...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!matthew

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (09/09/88)

In article <12375@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> access@iucs (BACS Access) writes:
>I am in the process of putting together a small cluster of A/UX
>Mac IIs to support an InterMedia Project (Brown University's).
>... I plan to buy stripped down Mac IIs and add drives and memory.
>Does anyone have opinions about using A/UX on CMS drives or Rodimes?
>Got any favorites?    How about memory.  I know I need 4MB minimum
>on each station.  Any hints about where to buy the memory?
>
>respond to:    !iuvax!silver!cole
>               cole@iubacs.bitnet
>               cole.bacs.indiana.edu

The problem I see is that I don't think there is any legitimate way
to aquire A/UX except on an Apple hard drive.  They don't sell it on
floppies.

Please, let's not steal.

As for getting memory, one of the ways people have mentioned is to buy
a 4 meg A/UX machine and throw away the A/UX.  (Apple ships 4 meg A/UX
Mac II's very quickly, otherwise long waiting list.)

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (09/11/88)

<
<The problem I see is that I don't think there is any legitimate way
<to aquire A/UX except on an Apple hard drive.  They don't sell it on
<floppies.
<
<Please, let's not steal.
<
Isn't it true that you can pay some extra fee for the priveledge of
placing A/UX on a certain number of machines?

-Sho

c60a-1cu@web-1c.berkeley.edu (09/11/88)

In article <186@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>The problem I see is that I don't think there is any legitimate way
>to aquire A/UX except on an Apple hard drive.  They don't sell it on
>floppies.
>
>Please, let's not steal.
>
>Kent Borg
>kent@lloyd.uucp
>or
>hscfvax!lloyd!kent
No, Apple sells multiple copy licenses for A/UX.  You get one 80Mb disk
full and the legal right to copy 5,10, or how ever many times you've paid
for (I think they sell them as 5, 10, 20, and 50's, but I don't have my
developer price list here to check).  Remember the manuals are also
unbundled......The per copy cost of A/UX is very reasonable this way,
I think I remember it working out to be about $400/copy + manuals....

Drew Dean
FROM Disclaimers IMPORT StandardDisclaimer;

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (09/14/88)

In article <186@lloyd.camex.uucp>, kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) writes:
> The problem I see is that I don't think there is any legitimate way
> to aquire A/UX except on an Apple hard drive.  They don't sell it on
> floppies.
>
> Kent Borg
> kent@lloyd.uucp
> or
> hscfvax!lloyd!kent

Actually I think you can buy A/UX in the form of 35 floppy diskettes.
The latest Consortium Price List offers AU/X on floppy as a product.
--
Dave Falkenburg @ University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network
My opinions are my own, not those of my employer(s), etc., etc., etc., etc.