[comp.sys.mac] need pointer for keyboard repair.

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (09/14/88)

I am looking at the broken keyboard of a friend (old 512k style) which has
several dead keys (Q,S,D,[,],;) - I'm trying to remember where I may have read
about analyzing such problems.  does anyone else remember a write-up on
keyboard hardware?  it may have been a User's Group newsletter, MacTutor, ...?
where I had read a "useful" article about keyboards ...

anyway, my guess is that it's either one of the chips in the board or a
broken trace somewhere on the board ...

thoughts, anyone?  in the meantime, I'll try to find some spare chips ...

--
--------------------> PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS <---------------------
(ARPA)	    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (09/15/88)

In article <3102@utastro.UUCP>, werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
> I am looking at the broken keyboard of a friend (old 512k style) which has
> several dead keys (Q,S,D,[,],;) - I'm trying to remember where I may have read
> about analyzing such problems.  does anyone else remember a write-up on
> keyboard hardware?  it may have been a User's Group newsletter, MacTutor, ...?
> where I had read a "useful" article about keyboards ...

> anyway, my guess is that it's either one of the chips in the board or a
> broken trace somewhere on the board ...

	I received a pointer to a recent MacUser - and was able to confirm
	that I must have been thinking of an article I had read in the
	July '88 issue, which explained quite well how to deal with a
	broken key;   however, it did not address the more likely
	problem in the board I am looking at, a broken trace or
	dead chip(s) ...

	I'm nearly sure I read something in a long-ago MacTutot or UG-
	newsletter that addressed that topic ...

	thanks to all who responded - more info when I find it ...

	report on outcome after the hurricane "Gilbert" has hit Texas;
	of course, it's the largest, meanest, badest .... we won't have
	it any other way around here  (watch out Corpus Christi; I think
	your number is up ... I figure it will hit go after the Mac home
	in the Brownsvile-CorpusChristi area ...)