[comp.sys.mac] Why switch to system 6.0?

heath@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Todd Heatherton) (09/08/88)

It seems to me that there have been numerous complaints about system 6.0.
I realize that Apple promised 2 upgrades per year, but does anybody really
need or want them.  The tone from the net is that almost every program
crashes with 6.0, or that people are having pretty serious problems.  I AM
In that category of users who would like to kkep up with "the pack", but
sometimes I'm not sure why we're changing.  Since I have yet to hear one
good word about 6.0 on the net, can someone give me a good reason to change from5.0 (which has worked perfectly)?.  I guess part of my point is that some
of us who read this net need to hear both sides of the story.

	Thanks for listening,  As always,

       Todd Heatherton (aka "the novice", aka "bad typist")

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (09/08/88)

>                                             Since I have yet to hear one
> good word about 6.0 on the net, can someone give me a good reason to change
> from 5.0 (which has worked perfectly)? I guess part of my point is that some
> of us who read this net need to hear both sides of the story.

I have used 6.0 for some time now without problems. I really like macro
maker and some of the subtle changes they've made (like the Apple changing to
an alarm clock when the alarm goes off). I don't know why I've been spared
the problems that everyone has been complaining about, but I'm already looking
forward to the next release!

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

bob@eecs.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (09/09/88)

> It seems to me that there have been numerous complaints about system 6.0.
> I realize that Apple promised 2 upgrades per year, but does anybody really
> need or want them.  The tone from the net is that almost every program
> crashes with 6.0, or that people are having pretty serious problems.  I AM
> In that category of users who would like to kkep up with "the pack", but
> sometimes I'm not sure why we're changing.  Since I have yet to hear one
> good word about 6.0 on the net, can someone give me a good reason to change
> from5.0 (which has worked perfectly)?.  I guess part of my point is that some
> of us who read this net need to hear both sides of the story.

Why do we get system upgrades? For the same reason we get new hardware: to
be able to do more. Can I honestly tell you that you have to upgrade to
system 6.0 if you have to? No.

However:

System 6.0 does add features to your Macintosh, especially if you have an
SE or a Plus. It does have some problems, but I've been running it since
it came out, and I really think it has an undeserved bad rep. No program I
use has broken (of course, I don't use MicroSoft products, which do deserve
a bad rep). As a developer, I want system updates like 6.0 (and the coming
7.0, and so on) as it gives me a chance to add features to my applications,
standardize features, and in general produce better products.

So:

Do what you want with our Mac. It's _your_ Mac. However, if you allow
yourself to get far enough behind the times, you will find out that
those sexy new programs won't work on your machine, because they assume
the existance of a sexy new system.

Bob Hablutzel		Bob@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

Disclaimer:	I can do what I want with my opinions. They're _my_ opinions.

rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu (09/10/88)

I've been using 6.0 for about 2 months now with no problems.  I have a Plus
with 1M and a hard drive.  I use multifinder all the time and rarely
encounter any problems.  And I DO use MSoft applications, including Word and
Excel.  I can't compare it to 5.0 (or whatever came before 6.0) since I
skipped that one, but Macromaker is very useful, and the new file copying
interface is much nicer (shows you its progress).  I think it's developers
who are having more trouble with it.  Strictly as an end-user, I'd recommend
it.

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (09/11/88)

In article <1988Sep7.234716.1949@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> heath@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Todd Heatherton) writes:
>It seems to me that there have been numerous complaints about system 6.0.

 I believe most of the news reports no problems on Mac II.  I've been
 using it for about three weeks with no problems at work.  I had to stay
 with System 5.0 printing resources because I'm the only one on the net
 using (testing) this software.

 I like it because of macro maker. It's much easier to record a sequence
 of instructions than with QuickKeys.  I like double clicking another
 document when Word is already open and the document just opens - no hassle.

 I like the new Map cdev. In the control panel you can find out the time
 elsewhere in the world and the milage to that city from any point you
 choose as a reference.

However, I also tried it at home on a Mac that started life as a 512 and is
now upgraded to a 2MB plus level. It was OK most of the weekend until Sunday
night. Map would not go into the control panel at home, but I was only
working on some Word documents so I didn't care.

Sunday night I started a save of a document I had spent hours on. It bombed
during the save and I lost the document (0 bytes in the file when I tried
to open it). The temp file was left on the desktop, not in the System folder
and it only came up empty - untitled 1.

I've lost documents before (seemingly) only to find them hidden behind their
temp icon.  I couldn't double click the icon to open it, but I could open it
through the dialog box and I could see that there was something in the file
using Command-I.  But this time there was nothing in the file.

I opened another document, thinking a previously written letter would be
safe enough (no funny fonts like in the first document).  After adding some
more text, I saved it before going to the printer.  The same thing happened.

So I can't recommend System 6.0 on anything but a Mac II, but I hope the
6.01 upgrade is out soon too, so the SE's at work can have it.  We've found
that QuickKeys and MegaScreen are incompatible, so System 6.0's macro maker
is the first time they'll be able to program extended keyboards (they've
never tried Tempo).

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (09/11/88)

In article <10330031@eecs.nwu.edu> bob@eecs.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) writes:
>> It seems to me that there have been numerous complaints about system 6.0.
>> I realize that Apple promised 2 upgrades per year, but does anybody really
>> need or want them.  The tone from the net is that almost every program
>> crashes with 6.0, or that people are having pretty serious problems.  I AM
>> In that category of users who would like to kkep up with "the pack", but
>> sometimes I'm not sure why we're changing.  Since I have yet to hear one
>> good word about 6.0 on the net, can someone give me a good reason to change
>> from5.0 (which has worked perfectly)?.  I guess part of my point is that some
>> of us who read this net need to hear both sides of the story.
>
>Why do we get system upgrades? For the same reason we get new hardware: to
>be able to do more. Can I honestly tell you that you have to upgrade to
>system 6.0 if you have to? No.
> (etc.)

I upgraded to 6.0 a month ago because Illustrator '88 demands it.  Of course,
both the new system and the new Illustrator are bigger, so that Illustrator
no longer ran on my 1MB SE.  Sigh...

But, back to the point.  I've experienced no problems running the Finder,
but neither have I noticed any particular advantages.  Since I recently
added 2MB to my Mac, I thought I'd try Multifinder.  It does have
significant advantages, like background printing and having two or more
applications open at the same time (great for copying between a drawing
program and a page layout program).  However, virtually every major
program I use (Word 3.02, XPress, etc.) either exhibited strange
behaviour (e.g., "program xxx exited unexpectedly" WITHOUT SAVING MY FILE)
or hung the machine -- usually the latter.  I've now switched back to
the Finder.

Therefore, my advice is not to upgrade unless you having a pressing need to
do so.
--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

In article <4712@mnetor.UUCP> frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
>Therefore, my advice is not to upgrade unless you having a pressing need to
>do so.

(blush) make that "...unless you have..."

--

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (09/11/88)

>                                      However, virtually every major
> program I use (Word 3.02, XPress, etc.) either exhibited strange
> behaviour (e.g., "program xxx exited unexpectedly" WITHOUT SAVING MY FILE)
> or hung the machine -- usually the latter.  I've now switched back to
> the Finder.

I've been using System 6.0 on a Mac II with 2M of memory without a single
problem. I run Word, VersaTerm, SuperPaint, MacDraw, CricketGraph, and other
programs. I can only say that I must be lucky...

I agree though; I'm not sure that there are really any significant advantages
to switching from 4.2 to 6.0...

--

clive@drutx.ATT.COM (Clive Steward) (09/14/88)

From article <15@ur-cc.UUCP>, by akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Atul Kacker):

> keystrokes or else...  Needless to say, I went back to Release 5 and will stay
> there until Apple cleans up all the bugs etc.

Since 6.0 has been receiving rumors again, thought I'd throw in 2 cents.

It seems pretty clear that most if not all of the 'bugs' are in
applications, not in System 6.0.  It just is more finicky about things
Apple warned about, doubtless in the line of future support of new
features (which probably include full Mac support under A/UX).

Personally, I've been running 6.0 since it came out, using Microsoft
Word (3.01), Versaterm, Superpaint, Lightspeed C, and MPW heavily, among
others, and have had not one bit of trouble.

There do seem to be real improvements also.  For instance, clicking on
an inactive layer, while a front layer is busy doing something, is now
reliable, which it didn't seem to be before -- you had to try several
times.  Overall operation seems smoother and _more_ reliable, in a
number of minor ways.

Also, you get some new features.  It is nice enough to have small
icons of the alarm clock, or Stuffit, appearing through the Notification
Manager when these want to tell you something in the background.

And I travel a lot with the box, so it's nice to have the Map manage
the time zone without messing with the clock.  Some people probably
like the Macro Maker.

It would probably be best if we would all consider a little more the
feelings of those people at Apple who work hard to make things for us.

Clive Steward

alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (09/14/88)

In article <15@ur-cc.UUCP> akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Atul Kacker) writes:
>I went to System 6.0 as soon as it was released.  Unfortunately, I started
>having problems with several of the applications that had worked fine before.
>Amongst these were WordPerfect and 4th Dimension v1.04.  4th Dimension crashed
>left and right under the new system.  You had to save your work every five
>keystrokes or else...  Needless to say, I went back to Release 5 and will stay
>there until Apple cleans up all the bugs etc.

Apple can hardly be expected to clean up bugs in Fourth Dimension. If you
want a copy of 4D that runs witht the new system, call Acius and ask for the
upgrade form to V1.0.6. If you are a registered owner you should have gotten
a letter from Acius.

In general I think that a lot of the problems attributed to System 6 are
actually the fault of the programmers who didn't follow the rules and are
now getting burned. This doesn't help, it's true, if you are using one of
the faulty programs, but Apple has taken more heat on this than it should.

If you want to criticize Apple, watch for my forthcoming flame... I think
it's got some good material to start with...

----
Alexis Rosen                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Writing from                                {harpo,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!alexis
The Big Electric Cat                  {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/
Public UNIX                         Best path: uunet!dasys1!alexis

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (09/15/88)

In article <8675@drutx.ATT.COM> clive@drutx.ATT.COM (Clive Steward) writes:

>Personally, I've been running 6.0 since it came out, using Microsoft
>Word (3.01), Versaterm, Superpaint, Lightspeed C, and MPW heavily, among
>others, and have had not one bit of trouble.

Is it true that apple dealers aren't allowed to give people copies of
this?  I went in to the local Computerland (uck) when I got my
Hypercard 1.2 update, and they told me I'd have to pay to get System 6.0
I understand you have to pay to get the books but...  And I thought it was
hard finding a good Apple dealer in Pasadena.

-Sho