[comp.sys.mac] Dumb Virtue ?

bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mike Bell) (09/08/88)

    Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Dumb Virtue ? For those who
might not know, D V is a replacement for the Mac end of the Unix Windows
Package.  Someone fron Queen Mary College in London mentioned that he had it,
and it was available, but I have been unable to find it on any remote hosts
and attempts to send mail to the above poster have been returned.

		Thanks for any leads.

		Mike Bell
			Bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

flash@ee.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan) (09/15/88)

In article <5062@netnews.upenn.edu> bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mike Bell) writes:

>    Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Dumb Virtue ? For those who
>might not know, D V is a replacement for the Mac end of the Unix Windows
>Package.  Someone from Queen Mary College in London mentioned that he had it,

It has a true Mac interface: double clicking, CUT (not just copy) and Paste,
any window in any real size of any font (crucial if you're scanning Homer in
Common Lisp).  UW is wonderful on the Unix end, but its Mac end's interface
isn't all that much better than Red Ryder.  Though both UW and DV are
_fast_; they seem noticeably (barely) faster at 19200 than at 9600.

Make sure you get the version of Dec. '87 or later, the earlier one crashed
on start-up about half the time.  It's a bit flaky under Sys 6.0, I think,
but am not sure.  It's never been terribly reliable, but the new version is
usable.

Background text up/downloading, even not under MF.

dumb virtue . . . "The shell programmer's little friend"
v1.1 (now 1.2?), copyright Kevin Eric Saunders 1986
License:  $20 per copy (+$10 for latest version, +7% NYS residents).
Payable to:  databeast, PO Box 6855, Ithaca, NY 14851.
(now??
721 W. Court Street
Ithaca, NY 14850

His latest email address seems to be:
pywy@vax5.ccs.cornell.edu (PUT YOUR NAME HERE)

Other ones: saunders@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
ARPA: saunders@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
uw-beaver!cornell!batcomputer!saunders

If that doesn't work, send me something worth what it'll cost me to send it
to you (disks are #1.70 [=?$2.50], postage for a disk to the States is #1.)
If anybody in Europe wants to pay the shareware fee, I've got a US checking
account, so send me the equivalent in any Eurocheque-type currency, and I'll
pass it on.

From: flash@ee.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
or_perhaps_Reply_to: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk