[comp.sys.mac] Chess game across the LAN?

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (08/31/88)

Is there a version of chess for the Mac that allows people to
play across a LAN?  Across a modem connection?  By connecting
the two Macs together with a cable between their printer ports?

I just discovered a version of chess that can be played between
two people on different workstations, and would be quite surprised
if there weren't already such a product for the Mac.

-Ted

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (09/01/88)

In article <870224@hpcilzb.HP.COM> tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:

>Is there a version of chess for the Mac that allows people to
>play across a LAN?  Across a modem connection?  By connecting
>the two Macs together with a cable between their printer ports?

  A friend of mine has developed exactly what you describe. He's currently
negotiating for a publisher. I won't say too much else, since I recall
having signed something or other... but it shouldn't be too much longer.

-ken

--
==========      .......     ==========================================
Ken McLeod     :.     .:    uucp: {trwrb hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!thecloud

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (09/01/88)

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM(Ted Johnson) in comp.sys.mac

>Is there a version of chess for the Mac that allows people to
>play across a LAN?  Across a modem connection?  By connecting
>the two Macs together with a cable between their printer ports?

	I seem to recall such as product from the EARLY days of the Mac. I believe
it was called NetChess (what an original name:-).  I have never actually seen
it but did however see ads for it.  So I know it existed at one time, but have
no idea about its current status.

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +
+                                 +                                   +

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (09/16/88)

In article <46100210@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM(Ted Johnson) in comp.sys.mac
>

>	I seem to recall such as product from the EARLY days of the Mac. I believe
Indeed, I saw an Apple II modem product, on clearance in my B. Dalton's
Maybe it would run under II-in-a-Mac, if it isn't copy-protected.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA