[comp.sys.mac] Moire Cdev eats application heap!

lengge@ethz.UUCP (Thomas Lenggenhager) (09/14/88)

Hi there,

Recently I got the following message from a friend of mine, which he sent to
MacUser Digest @ Bitnet.

>      After some inexplicable crashes in different programs I investigated
> what my favourite cdevs do to the heap. I'm not sure that this is our problem
> but I found out that each time you invoke the Moire CDEV (a screen saver)
> a Handle of Size 56 (decimal) is allocated and not freed again. After a
> longer, frequently interrupted word session >100 such Handles were found.

> Any comments, suggestions? (The version I'm using has a creation date
> Mar 28,88) Meanwhile we won't be using it.

> Norbert

Can anyone help? John?

Thanks in advance, Gary

Gary T. Czychi, University of St.Gallen, Switzerland
    CZYCHI@CSGHSG52.BITNET       CZYCHI@ETHZ.UUCP

jkjl@munnari.oz (John Lim) (09/16/88)

In article <613@ethz.UUCP>, lengge@ethz.UUCP (Thomas Lenggenhager) writes:
> >      After some inexplicable crashes in different programs I investigated
> > what my favourite cdevs do to the heap. I'm not sure that this is our problem
> > but I found out that each time you invoke the Moire CDEV (a screen saver)
> > a Handle of Size 56 (decimal) is allocated and not freed again. After a
> > longer, frequently interrupted word session >100 such Handles were found.
> > Norbert
> Thanks in advance, Gary
> Gary T. Czychi, University of St.Gallen, Switzerland
>     CZYCHI@CSGHSG52.BITNET       CZYCHI@ETHZ.UUCP

I accidentally posted Moire 1.41 to the nets, which had a few bugs. I tried
to cancel it, but it was posted onto comp.binaries.mac before i could stop it.

Moire 2.12 fixes all these bugs (hopefully). I posted it to the moderator
a month ago, so it should be released any day now. (if i remember, i was
saving some data structure like a grafport (56bytes ?) and the bug was fixed
in 1.43).

	john lim

ps : hope that the bug didnt cause any major problems.