[comp.sys.mac] SCSI Cables and Terminators

pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Paul G. Nevai) (09/17/88)

		This is about SCSI's and Terminators!!!

Oh boy, I thought I knew everyting about them, but when I opened (the first
time in my life) the little booklet "Apple SCSI Cable System" which comes
with the SCSI cable it turned out that I was DEAD wrong.

(In what follows, all Hard Disks are assumed to be non-terminated,  System
Cables are DB 25 on one end and Centronics 50 on the other, Cable Extenders
have Centronics 50 (M-F) on both ends.)

For starters, did you know for instance, that

   Mac -- System Cable -- Hard Disk -- Teminator

is wrong? The right configuration is

   Mac -- System Cable -- Teminator -- Hard Disk

OK? Now, for advanced intermediates, did you know that

   Mac -- System Cable -- Cable Extender -- Teminator -- Hard Disk

is wrong? The right configuration is

   Mac -- System Cable -- Terminator -- Cable Extender -- Teminator --
   -- Hard Disk

OK? (See page 7, fig. 5 in quoted booklet.) Isn't this surprising?

Now, for pros, do you know where the terminator goes in

  Mac -- System Cable -- Cable Extender -- Hard Disk -- Cable Extender --
  -- System Cable -- Hard Disk ?

(In case you wonder how I can have this configuration of cables, that is DB
25 away from the Mac, then I tell you that my last Hard Disk has two DB 25
outlets)

Is it

  Mac -- System Cable -- Teminator -- Cable Extender -- Hard Disk --
  -- Cable Extender  -- System Cable -- Teminator -- Hard Disk

or

  Mac -- System Cable -- Cable Extender -- Teminator -- Hard Disk --
  -- Cable Extender  -- System Cable --Teminator -- Hard Disk

or what else?

For pros, here is another toughie: if the Hard Disk has two DB 25 outlets,
then is it all right to use any DB-25 cable to connect it with the Mac,
or are there special DB 25 SCSI cables?

One more questions: why are

  ... -- Teminator -- Hard Disk (The End)

and

  ... -- Hard Disk -- Teminator (The End)

different?

I am anxiously looking forward for prompt replies from The Experts i. e.
the APPLE, SuperMac, CMS etc. guys!!!

Sincerely,

Paul Nevai                                pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu
Department of Mathematics                 TS1171@OHSTVMA.bitnet
The Ohio State University                 73057,172.Compu$erve
231 West Eighteenth Avenue                1-614-292-5310.office
Columbus, OH 43210, U.S.A.                1-614-292-4975.dept

P.S. Though one can have up to 20 feet of SCSI cable in a system, do not
ever dare to test the limits or else you will have spectacular crashes.
Trust me.

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric K. Olson) (09/19/88)

In a recent article Paul G. Nevai writes:
>For starters, did you know for instance, that
>   Mac -- System Cable -- Hard Disk -- Teminator
>is wrong? The right configuration is
>   Mac -- System Cable -- Teminator -- Hard Disk

I've never found any difference between these two configurations.  Some
hard disks only have one plug, and you have to use the second configuration.

>OK? Now, for advanced intermediates, did you know that
>   Mac -- System Cable -- Cable Extender -- Teminator -- Hard Disk
>is wrong? The right configuration is
>   Mac -- System Cable -- Terminator -- Cable Extender -- Teminator --
>   -- Hard Disk

In fact, the first terminator should be right after the Mac, but it's not
possible to put one there unless you put a terminated hard disk inside (like
a Mac II or SE).  The bus is long enough to want a terminator at BOTH ends
(any long SCSI bus should have a terminator at both ends), but with Apple's
cabling you can't plug a terminator right on the computer (because they
use a DB25 connector instead of the standard).

>Now, for pros, do you know where the terminator goes in
>  Mac -- System Cable -- Cable Extender -- Hard Disk -- Cable Extender --
>  -- System Cable -- Hard Disk ?

Use two, at the farthest ends of the bus you can get to:
Mac - SystemCable - Term - Extender - HD - Extender - SystemCable - HD - Term

>One more questions: why are
>  ... -- Teminator -- Hard Disk (The End)
>  ... -- Hard Disk -- Teminator (The End)
>different?

They aren't.  Have you ever had one configuration work and the other fail?

>P.S. Though one can have up to 20 feet of SCSI cable in a system, do not
>ever dare to test the limits or else you will have spectacular crashes.
>Trust me.

I run about 10 feet of SCSI cable in my system without problems, but I
wouldn't make it much longer and expect it to work right.
          Lexington Software Design:  Tomorrow's Software Yesterday

Eric K. Olson     olson@endor.harvard.edu     harvard!endor!olson     D0760
   (Name)                (ArpaNet)                 (UseNet)        (AppleLink)