[comp.sys.mac] Multiprocessor Add-ins for MACII

km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) (09/16/88)

Does anyone know of any multiprocessor add in boards
for the MACII? I have seen boards for the IBM PC with
multiple transputers, and hints that there are similar
boards for the MACII, but have never seen anything firm.

Even better, are there any shared memory multiprocessor
boards for the MACII or any other reasonably cost micro?

We are looking for hardware for a course in parallel
processing.
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP

dumesny@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Alain Dumesny) (09/17/88)

In article <3197@emory.uucp> km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>Does anyone know of any multiprocessor add in boards
>for the MACII? I have seen boards for the IBM PC with
>multiple transputers, and hints that there are similar
>boards for the MACII, but have never seen anything firm.

Levco has a board for both the SE and the II which holds inmos T414
or T800 (10 mips) with up to 4 meg per processor.  Each processor come
on a plug in card with its own memory, and up to 2 modules can fit in an SE,
and up to 4 for the II .  Since you could theoritically plug in 5 boards in
a mac II, you could have up to 20 inmos processor, giving you a pretty
powerfull computer.  I saw such a mac II at the macworld expo doing some
ray traicing, pretty quickly.

Anyway you should get a doc (which I have) from them, their address is :
San Diego Levco Corp.
6160 Lusk Blvd.
C100 San Diego, CA 92121
(619)457-2011

I hope this helped.

Alain Dumesny
Cornell University.

P.S. a T800 (20 Mhz) with 1 Mb (100ns) cost $2199.  Also on the "low" end
a T414 (15 Mhz) with 256k costs $1299
Also they use MPW to program those babies, available in asm and c.

pkahn@meridian.ads.com (Phil Kahn) (09/20/88)

In article <3197@emory.uucp> km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>Does anyone know of any multiprocessor add in boards
>for the MACII? I have seen boards for the IBM PC with
>multiple transputers, and hints that there are similar
>boards for the MACII, but have never seen anything firm.
>
>Even better, are there any shared memory multiprocessor
>boards for the MACII or any other reasonably cost micro?
>
>We are looking for hardware for a course in parallel
>processing.
>--
>Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
>Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP
>Dept of Math and CS | km@emory                     NON-DOMAIN BITNET
>Atlanta, GA 30322   | Phone: (404) 727-7963

There are several companies marketing these at various price ranges
for the NuBus in the MacII.  The market is just now rapidly expanding.
The following are the ones that I am aware of:

Levco Transputer (up to 4 transputers w/4MB apiece on each NuBus card)
(619) 457-2011 (~10K fully loaded)

Mercury Computer (a high performance RISC based machine w up to 8MB memory)
(415) 847-2025 (~$20-25K total (?))

TI MicroExplorer (a powerful LISP machine on a NuBus card)
(800) 527-3500 (~$12K for the board w/basic software & 4MB, ~$22K
w/8MB and extensive software development tools)

YARC Systems (CRAY spelled backwards.  Powerful CPU, but strange and
small memory structure.)
(818) 889-4388 ($4400 when memory is available)

Usual disclaimers: I've never worked with any of these machines.
Personal opinion after evaluating them for my application (Computer
Vision and AI problems): The Mercury has the highest performance, but
the TI is also powerful and better suited for AI and vision.

phil...