[comp.sys.mac] Strange Resource type showing up.......

alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (09/20/88)

In article <4027@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) writes:
>  I have found some strange resource showing up several places.  Many of my
>applications, system file, finder, and desktop have a resource of type:
>"*MAP" in them.  I have looked at the resource and it is rather short and
>appears to be harmless.  But it is in so many places I was wondering if anyone
>else has ever seen anything like this, and if so where did it come from??

Ha. You should have seen the look on my face when I figured out what they were.
They are little "presents" left behind by Servant, MiniServant, and maybe one
other Hertzfeld Special. They are much like the DeskTop file only they apply
to individual resources within a file rather than to the files within a volume.
You create them automatically whenever you open a file as a collection of
resources. Deleting them won't cause any trouble. Neither will letting them be,
except they take up a little space. Note that there's a slightly different
resource that also begins with a '*' that sits in your desktop file. You can
kill this too if you see it.

----
Alexis Rosen                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Writing from                                {harpo,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!alexis
The Big Electric Cat                  {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/
Public UNIX                         Best path: uunet!dasys1!alexis