[comp.sys.mac] Is there a PostScript->QuickDraw Application?

eto@spacely.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Edward Olsen) (09/20/88)

I have need of an application which will allow me to capture a PostScript
file generated on a mainframe and edit it in a Draw environment.  One of
my colleagues is generating graphics on a mainframe and wishes to add
text to the finished product before printing it on the attached laserwriter.
Addition of extra postscript is a slow and iterative process.  The best
solution would be to capture the postscript to a Mac, redraw the graphic
in a Draw-like application, add the text, and save the resulting postscript
for download to the mainframe.  Is there any application which will allow
me to generate a Draw display using postscript input?

/*******************************************************************
 * Edward Olsen                    ARPA: eto@spacely.jpl.nasa.gov  *
 * Mail Stop: 169-506              UUCP: ...!cit-vax!spacely!eto   *
 * Jet Propulsion Laboratory       SPAN: jplrag::olsen             *
 * 4800 Oak Grove Drive                                            *
 * Pasadena, CA 91109                                              *
 *                                                                 *
 * Phone: FTS: 792-7604      Commercial: (818) 354-7604            *
 *******************************************************************/

drc@claris.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (09/20/88)

In article <9515@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> eto@spacely.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Edward Olsen) writes:
>I have need of an application which will allow me to capture a PostScript
>file generated on a mainframe and edit it in a Draw environment.  One of
>my colleagues is generating graphics on a mainframe and wishes to add
>text to the finished product before printing it on the attached laserwriter.
>Addition of extra postscript is a slow and iterative process.  The best
>solution would be to capture the postscript to a Mac, redraw the graphic
>in a Draw-like application, add the text, and save the resulting postscript
>for download to the mainframe.  Is there any application which will allow
>me to generate a Draw display using postscript input?

You might consider "The Curator" by Solutions, Inc.  It allows conversion
between a number of formats, PICT and PostScript being among them.
I realize that this doesn't solve your problem of capturing them to the
Mac, but without knowing what mainframe you're using I couldn't recommend
anything other than saving the data to an ascii file on the mainframe and
then transmitting via a terminal program to the Mac.

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!