From NMKATZ@pucc.bitnet Mon Sep 12 00:53:58 1988
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 88 01:50:23 EDT
From: "Nicholas M. Katz" <NMKATZ@pucc.bitnet>
Subject: Re: Imagewriter II overseas <6252@spool.cs.wisc.edu>
To: zeiden

Two friends of mine have had no problem just using a voltage transformer
and not worrying about the hertz. Probably it's not a good idea to print
for hours at a time that way because of extra heat buildup, but in both cases
(one 14 months, the other 23 months and still continuing) there were no problem
s whatever.  Good luck

From jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu Mon Sep 12 08:52:11 1988
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 88 08:56:10 EST
From: jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor)
To: zeiden
Subject: Re: Imagewriter II overseas

No problem.  I went to England in January with an IW II.  Plugged it into
a transformer and everything worked fine.

Caution though:  I also attempted running it from a voltage converter (like
the ones for electric shavers).  When I turned the IW on, sparks flew and
the converter was thoroughly toasted.  Moral:  Use a real transformer

Jeffrey C. Kantor
Dept. of Chemical Eng.
Notre Dame

jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu

From kddlab!hanako.stars.flab.fujitsu.junet!feldmark@uunet.uu.net Tue Sep 13 06:03:29 1988
From: kddlab!hanako.stars.flab.fujitsu.junet!feldmark@uunet.uu.net
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 88 19:10:11 JST
To: zeiden (Matthew Zeidenberg)
Subject: Imagewriter II overseas
Cc: feldmark%fgw.fujitsu.junet@uunet.uu.net

I started using an Imagewriter II here in Japan on 100V 50Hz.  Worked
fine at first.   Then after I moved to another location, it started
getting horizontal lines through each line as if a pin in the print
head was bad.   It's in the shop right now, and I had a friend take
care of it for me so I don't know what the problem is yet.  I had been
to a store that sells Macs, and they had a US model they claimed ran
perfectly on normal Japan power.  So it may work.  I have no proof at
this time as to whether or not the power caused my problem.  All I know
is that if it had been in the USA it would still be under warantee,
but it ain't here!  (So I am a bit upset by the whole thing.)

Mark Feldman
Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd.
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
feldmark@hanako.stars.flab.fujitsu.junet (Japan)