[comp.sys.mac] McSink Registered Owners, take note

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (09/21/88)

Got a note in the mail last weekend about several shareware products being
picked up by a company named Prefered Publishers, and upgrades offered to
registered owners of the shareware versions.  Was a bit confused at first,
as none of the programs appeared to be ones which I had purchased, until I
noticed that Vantage, the text-editting DA, used to be McSink, which I paid
for a while ago (a lovely DA for anyone who does a lot of text manipulation).

However, on reading the upgrade price sheet, there was no upgrade price for
Vantage for registered McSink users listed.  I called up Preferred
Publishers, and they said it was a publishing mistake -- it's $10 for
registered users.  So if you're a McSink owner, and were wondering what was
going on, that's the story.  For more details, the company's number is (901)
683-3383.

Vantage appears to be McSink with a spelling checker and a macro package
built-in, but the description was rather short.  I'll let you know more
about it when it arrives in the mail...

                        "I feel the Need..."
                                        "The Need..."
                                "FOR SPEED!"
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

jspear@afit-ab.arpa (Jon L. Spear) (09/21/88)

In article <5251@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>Got a note in the mail last weekend about several shareware products being
>picked up by a company named Prefered Publishers [...]
>
>Vantage appears to be McSink with a spelling checker and a macro package
>built-in, but the description was rather short.  I'll let you know more
>about it when it arrives in the mail. [...]

You can also call them at 800-446-6393. I did about three weeks ago to order
Vantage, and again yesterday to find out where it was. They said it won't
ship until some time next month ("waiting on printers").
	While the $10 McSink->Vantage registered user upgrade to add a
spelling checker and macros seems like a very reasonable price, their other
prices are a little strange.  From their mailing, you can also buy Vantage
for $59.95 with a discount coupon until Jan 1, $79.95 Special Introductory
Price, or $99.95 Suggested Retail.  Pick your price, I guess.
	They are also carrying some of Andrew Welch's goodies. Easy
Envelopes is $(20,45,60,80 +/- $.05) for (upgrade,coupon,intro,retail).
Label Master is $(25,55,90,110), Exposure (screen dumper) is $(20,45,70,90),
and TO DO! is $(35,80,100,130).  I asked what had changed in TO DO! to
increase it's worth from the $10 shareware fee to $100+, but technical
support was in a meeting.
	Are we seeing the death of the shareware concept?

-Jon
--
----
random rumors from Jon Spear, Comp Eng Student | With computers we can make a