[comp.sys.mac] Has anybody seen the Macintosh Family Hardware Reference book ?

anderss@uplog.se (Anders Sjolund) (09/10/88)

When looking for new titles in the Macintosh field, I came across the title
"the Macintosh Family Hardware Reference", supposedly published in May by
(I think) Addison-Wesley. I promptly ordered the book (in June), but it has
failed to show up. The bookshop I placed the order with, doubts that the book
is available as yet.

Has anybody out there in netland seen the book, or heard of it being released ?
Is it really worth having after all ? (I'm really interested in the hardware,
design and such..)

AdvThanksance/

--
Real life:      Anders Sjolund                  Email:  anderss@uplog.se
Snail mail:     TeleLOGIC Uppsala AB            Phone:  +46 18 189409

sam@gtisqr.UUCP (Sam Felton) (09/21/88)

In article <285@uplog.se>, anderss@uplog.se (Anders Sjolund) writes:

> When looking for new titles in the Macintosh field, I came across the title
> "the Macintosh Family Hardware Reference", supposedly published in May by
> (I think) Addison-Wesley. I promptly ordered the book (in June), but it has

I have two versions of this book, an older (Dec. '87) and newer (May '88).

It is available from APDA and, as far as I know, nowhere else. I would
recommend, however, that unless you are planning to use the info immediately
you should wait until the book is REALLY complete (even my updated version
is missing lots of stuff).

-Sam

mark@mtuxo.att.com (XG1W6-M.PERKINS) (09/21/88)

I've seen copies in bookstores in NYC (WaldenBooks, I think).

	Mark Perkins
	mtuxo!mark@att.att.com
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	Middletown, NJ

riddle@emory.uucp (Larry Riddle) (09/22/88)

In article <452@gt-ford.gtisqr.UUCP> sam@gtisqr.UUCP (Sam Felton) writes:
>In article <285@uplog.se>, anderss@uplog.se (Anders Sjolund) writes:
>>
>> When looking for new titles in the Macintosh field, I came across the title
>> "the Macintosh Family Hardware Reference", supposedly published in May by
>> (I think) Addison-Wesley. I promptly ordered the book (in June), but it has
>
>I have two versions of this book, an older (Dec. '87) and newer (May '88).
>
>It is available from APDA and, as far as I know, nowhere else. I would
>recommend, however, that unless you are planning to use the info immediately
>you should wait until the book is REALLY complete (even my updated version
>is missing lots of stuff).
>
>-Sam

The Macintosh Family Hardware Reference was published by Addison-Wesley
in August 1988. I bought it at B. Dalton's Bookstore. $26.95. From the
preface, "this book provides overviews of the architecture of Macintosh
computers and detailed descriptions of the hardware components that
make up these computers....Book is intended to provide background and
reference information for hardware engineers designing peripheral
devices for Macintosh computers and for system programmers who need an
understanding of the hardware in order to optimize their code."

The 2nd edition of the Apple's Numeric Manual is also now in the
bookstore.

--
Larry Riddle        | riddle@mathcs.emory.edu         PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!riddle    UUCP

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (09/22/88)

In article <452@gt-ford.gtisqr.UUCP> sam@gtisqr.UUCP (Sam Felton) writes:
>In article <285@uplog.se>, anderss@uplog.se (Anders Sjolund) writes:
>>
>> When looking for new titles in the Macintosh field, I came across the title
>> "the Macintosh Family Hardware Reference", supposedly published in May by
>> (I think) Addison-Wesley. I promptly ordered the book (in June), but it has
>
>It is available from APDA and, as far as I know, nowhere else.

I just bought a copy of the book at Stacey's Bookstore in San Francisco, and
they had a half a dozen others as well.  They are well know for being an
excellent technical bookstore, so you'll have to look for the better
technical bookstores in your area.  (By the way, they had a dozen copies
of the Mathematica book as well).

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

mlp9790@acf3.NYU.EDU (Marc Parmet) (09/23/88)

I've seen this book in several bookstores here in New York City, so it
does exist and is available.  Some stores in NY take phone orders and
ship it to you with a bill.

Marc Parmet

zuhn@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Dave Zuhn) (09/23/88)

In article <452@gt-ford.gtisqr.UUCP> sam@gtisqr.UUCP (Sam Felton) writes:
>In article <285@uplog.se>, anderss@uplog.se (Anders Sjolund) writes:
>>
>> When looking for new titles in the Macintosh field, I came across the title
>> "the Macintosh Family Hardware Reference", supposedly published in May by
>> (I think) Addison-Wesley. I promptly ordered the book (in June), but it has

I have seen this book here at the University of Minnesota bookstores, as well
as at local Software Etc.s.  It is in the Addison-Wesley line but I didn't
look at prices.

Dave Zuhn
Systems Consultant, U of MN    {zuhn|zoo}@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu