[comp.sys.mac] Does CMS 60 hard disk auto-park on power-off?

steve@mstar.UUCP (Steve Wilson) (09/23/88)

A recent posting said that the CMS 60 hard disk auto-parks on power-down.
This was a surprise to me, because I had heard that it only parked under
software control.  If it auto-parks, this adds it to my list of disks to
consider (and at a better price than the Micah drive).  I'm referring to
external disks, if that makes a difference.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?  (How about random rumor - that's always
fun too!)  Please post or E-mail as seems fit.
--
Steve Wilson, Morning Star Technologies ...!{cbosgd,osu-cis,pyramid}!mstar!steve

dumesny@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Alain Dumesny) (09/24/88)

In article <932@mstar.UUCP> steve@mstar.UUCP (Steve Wilson) writes:
>A recent posting said that the CMS 60 hard disk auto-parks on power-down.
>This was a surprise to me, because I had heard that it only parked under
>software control.  If it auto-parks, this adds it to my list of disks to
>consider (and at a better price than the Micah drive).  I'm referring to
>external disks, if that makes a difference.
>
>Can anyone confirm or deny this?  (How about random rumor - that's always
>fun too!)  Please post or E-mail as seems fit.
>--
>Steve Wilson, Morning Star Technologies ...!{cbosgd,osu-cis,pyramid}!mstar!steve

The seagate ST277s which is used in the internal and external CMS 60 meg drive
DO certainly have auto park on power down.   I know that for sure, because
that was one of the reasons I bought one 6 months ago.   I really like it
although I think that today there are better choices like the new quantum 80
meg drives (12 ms effectice access time) for the macII for under $1000.
But since you are looking for external one, you might want to see "CRATE tech"
drives which uses also seagate drives, and their external 60 is very cheap
and has a 28 ms access time as oppose to 40 ms for the CMS drive.    Anyway
chop around because there are real good bargains sometimes.

Hope this helped..
Alain---

P.S.  wnat to buy my 60 meg drive ?  I am running out of space and need a
bigger drive, like a 140 meg.   :-(