[comp.sys.mac] Help: SIMMS ??

jexby@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (09/23/88)

 Ok, call me dumb, call me ignorant just help me with this Q:

 What is a SIMM?  I know it stands for surface mounted memory,
but what does this mean?  I'd like to upgrade my RAM in my
MacSE, do I do it with one of these??  Where does it go, into
my ports inside?   And if I get a 1MB simm, do I take one of
my .5mb boards out and add the new 1MB SIMM, thereby gaining
(realistically) only .5MB?

 Thanx for answering any, or all of these queries.
\\john

+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| John A. Exby                                 | "Why speak with words,      |
| Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign        | when you can talk with      |
|                                              | your mouth?"  --Squiggy     |
| INTERNET: jexby@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu                                           |
| BITNET : jexby%uxe.cso.uiuc.edu@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu                           |
| The WAY is Still-------> ELWAY!!                                           |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+

dumesny@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Alain Dumesny) (09/24/88)

In article <46100220@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> jexby@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> Ok, call me dumb, call me ignorant just help me with this Q:
> What is a SIMM?  I know it stands for surface mounted memory,
>but what does this mean?  I'd like to upgrade my RAM in my
>MacSE, do I do it with one of these??  Where does it go, into
>my ports inside?   And if I get a 1MB simm, do I take one of
>my .5mb boards out and add the new 1MB SIMM, thereby gaining
>(realistically) only .5MB?

:-)   :-)   No no no,   SIMM stands for Single in line memory modules (I
think).   Surface mount just means that the simms are soldered on top of the
board, instead of the more traditional one where you have holes in the board
and the chip fits in it (soldered on the bottom surface).  Anyway, this is
not really relevant since they are "equivalent" (for end users that is).
Now, SIMMs are just small boards that contains 8 chips (sometime 9, 1 extra
chip for parity, which is not used in the mac), and they either have a total
of 256K or 1 meg of mem on them.    Note that what you have in your SE (or
plus) is four of those 256K simms (4*256K=1meg).   Now your are going to need
2 1meg simm boards (they have to be changed by pairs in a mac SE or plus).
So you need to remove two 256k simms that are in your SE, giving you a total
of 2.5 megs (1meg original + 2meg from 1meg simms - 2 256k simms board taken
out).

There is also a resistor to cut inside in order to have the mac recorgnize
the extra memory.

I hope this helped..
Alain----

P.S.  I wouldn't recomend you doing this unless you know what you were doing.
It is not something hard to do, but you just need to work inside a macintosh
which is something I wouldn't recomend.   I don't wan't you to get killed (or
badly shocked) !!!  :-)
This is something I do all the time as part of my job (Apple tech), so just
come here and I willdo it for you !!!  :-)

------
Alain Dumesny
Cornell University
dumesny@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu