[comp.sys.mac] French Font needed

Bob_LaserMan_Murrow@cup.portal.com (09/18/88)

I have a fellow worker who recently came to the states from France. He is
using a Mac and asked me (the resident Mac expert) for a French font so his
punctuation would be correct when he writes to our French office. Guess what,
I don't have one. If anyone out there have a font that has french punctuations
built into please send it to me or give the name of it so I can run it down
locally. Thanks in advance.
Bob Murrow
laserman@cup.portal.com
SYSOP@PhoenixII&IIa 408-253-3926 & 408-252-6801 all MacBBS 24hrs, 2 lines!

macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) (09/21/88)

>I have a fellow worker who recently came to the states from France. He is
>using a Mac and asked me (the resident Mac expert) for a French font so his
>punctuation would be correct when he writes to our French office.

Bob,

We all use the same Macintosh fonts, wherever we live (well almost,
I apologize to the japanese readers of this message). The standard fonts
all have accented characters included for all germanic, roman and
celtic languages, including French. What changes is the presence of
foreign KCHR resources in the system file, which remaps the keyboard
for a specific country. The US version of the System contains only the
resource for the american keyboard. The french system contains a french
KCHR resource as well as the american one. In Switzerland, where we
speak french, german and italian, there are four KCHR resources.

You can select the keybard layout you wish to use by selecting it
with the Keyboard CDEV in the Control Panel, provided that the
corresponding KCHR is present in the System file. There's no need to
reboot, as it was the case in older versions of the System. Apple
has done a very nice job here. My compliments.

I'm afraid I cannot send you a French KCHR, as the Swiss french
"QWERTZ" keyboard layout is different from the french "AZERTY".
However, someone in France can surely help you.

-- Danny

| Mail   :   Danny Schwendener, ETH Macintosh Support Center            |
|            Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, CH-8092 Zuerich     |
| Bitnet :   macman@czheth5a      UUCP   :   {cernvax,mcvax}ethz!macman |
| Ean    :   macman@ifi.ethz.ch   Voice  :   yodel three times          |

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (09/22/88)

In article <619@ethz.UUCP> macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) writes:
<<I have a fellow worker who recently came to the states from France. He is
<<using a Mac and asked me (the resident Mac expert) for a French font so his
<<punctuation would be correct when he writes to our French office.
<
<Bob,
<
<We all use the same Macintosh fonts, wherever we live (well almost,
<I apologize to the japanese readers of this message). The standard fonts
<all have accented characters included for all germanic, roman and
<celtic languages, including French.

What about the upside down hat accent that appears in some eastern
European langs (like in Dvorak the composer)?  Pretty annoying for
Apple to have left these out, especially when cataloging my records...

-Sho

macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) (09/22/88)

Sorry, I goofed. In my message about french fonts, I pretended
that the standard fonts have accented characters for _all_
germanic, roman and celtic languages. Please substitute
_all_ with _most_.

I blatantly ignored Irish Gaelic and Rumanian, which both have
characters that cannot be typed with the standard Macintosh
Fonts. Adapted fonts exist,(I did know about Gaelic [sic!]
PD fonts), but they're not official (I don't think Apple UK
automatically ships it to its Irish customers).

Thanks to David Casseres (casseres@apple.apple.COM) for the
reminder.

-- Danny

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (09/22/88)

In article <1454@pur-phy> sho@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:

>What about the upside down hat accent that appears in some eastern
>European langs (like in Dvorak the composer)?  Pretty annoying for
>Apple to have left these out, especially when cataloging my records...

The caron is character number 255 in most fonts.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

thisted@galton.uchicago.edu (Ronald A. Thisted) (09/23/88)

In article <4033@polya.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:
>In article <1454@pur-phy> sho@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
>>What about the upside down hat accent ...
>The caron is character number 255 in most fonts.
                                           ^^^^^
                                           LaserWriter fonts.

It seems not to be there in geneva, new york, etc.

Ron Thisted
Department of Statistics/The University of Chicago
thisted@galton.uchicago.edu

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (09/23/88)

In article <1454@pur-phy> sho@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:

>What about the upside down hat accent that appears in some eastern
>European langs (like in Dvorak the composer)?  Pretty annoying for
>Apple to have left these out, especially when cataloging my records...
>
>-Sho

I have a chart of ASCII codes on my wall that shows what I would call an
upside down hat at ASCII 249 and a slightly different one at ASCII 255.
Using Command-Option-Q in Word, you can input the ASCII code to produce
the character that way.

I expect you want to place this above a letter, in which case you need to
include it in a formula using the Overwrite command. Thus you would enter
command-option-backslash (producing the dot-backslash formula character)
followed by capital O, followed by the arguments in parentheses separated
by a comma.  The arguments are the letter and the upside down hat char-
acters.

Since both "hats" are at the top of the character position, they should be
visible above any character you write on top of it.  (The last time I gave
this advice to the poster who wanted to make pronunciation characters, I
tried it at the same time I was writing the reply.  It looked fine in
Word's page preview.

Shirley Kehr

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (09/24/88)

In article <165@tank.uchicago.edu> thisted@galton.UUCP (Ronald A. Thisted) writes:
>In article <4033@polya.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:
>>In article <1454@pur-phy> sho@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
>>>What about the upside down hat accent ...
>>The caron is character number 255 in most fonts.
>                                           ^^^^^
>                                           LaserWriter fonts.
>
>It seems not to be there in geneva, new york, etc.

If I'm not mistaken (I may well be) you're both talking about the 'caret,'
not 'caron.'  In any case, the caret (Shift-6 on Mac keyboards [I think it
was shift-N on the earliest Apple ][ keyboards!]) is a RIGHT-SIDE-UP hat,
that is, the character used above to underline the word 'fonts.'  Sho
was asking about an upside-down hat, which resembles a small V hanging in
midair.  I think that symbol is called a 'hachek.'  We linguists use it as
a diacritic over the letters s, z, c, and j in phonetic transcription to
indicate the sounds commonly written sh, zh, tch, and dj.

In any case, this character is NOT available in Apple's fonts or Adobe's
Laser fonts for the Mac.  I don't have my Adobe books handy, but I'm fairly
sure it's not available in the 'standard' versions of the Adobe fonts,
either.

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (09/24/88)

In article <6401@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:

.>>The caron is character number 255 in most fonts.
.>                                           ^^^^^
.>                                           LaserWriter fonts.

.>It seems not to be there in geneva, new york, etc.

.      ...I think that symbol is called a 'hachek.'  We linguists use it as
.a diacritic over the letters s, z, c, and j in phonetic transcription to
.indicate the sounds commonly written sh, zh, tch, and dj.

.In any case, this character is NOT available in Apple's fonts or Adobe's
.Laser fonts for the Mac.

Beg to differ, but use ResEdit to look at the FONT resource for character 255.
I can't help it if there is no recognized keyboard equivalent.  It also prints
fine on my Laserwriter...

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)