[comp.sys.mac] Virii at U of I part II

crouse@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (09/23/88)

 Virii at the U of I  part II

   Thanks for all the responses to note 230.
   We are lead to belive that the Sneak virus that interferon 2.24
   is showing is not a virus at all, but a bug in release 6.0 from
   Apple. To clarify the problem here, we are a Mac/IBM micro lab
   at the University of Illinois, that has 26 Mac SE w/hard drives
   and several PS-2/30s. We run Interferon 2.24 and have just upgraded
   to release 3.0. We try to check every user's disk as they come into
   the lab, at the end of every day we check each machine with Interferon
   for infections. The problem is that users tend to slip by the check
   station or will not produce all the disks they have. This is how
   the machines are being infected. We had the Scores virus in the
   Spring of 88 and thought it was under control, now that the Fall
   semester has started Scores as well as nVir are showing up in full
   strength. We have not seen any virus on the DOS machines yet.
   We have an infected MAC-SE with nVir now and are using Resedit
   to determine what is going on with the code structure. A symptom
   of nVIR is,the system locking up and problems with the Finder.
   The problem with Interferon is that it will not ckeck HFS disks
   so we run Kill Scores also. Any related information or questions
   about this serious problem will be very welcomed.

   Send reponses to   crouse@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu

					   James Crous
					   Mgr. Micro Lab
					   Illini Union Site
					   University of Illinois

alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (09/25/88)

In article <20200006@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> crouse@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> Virii at the U of I  part II
>   Thanks for all the responses to note 230.
>   We are lead to belive that the Sneak virus that interferon 2.24
>   is showing is not a virus at all, but a bug in release 6.0 from
>   Apple.

This is a virtual certainty. I believe this matter was discussed a month
or two ago.

>   We have an infected MAC-SE with nVir now and are using Resedit
>   to determine what is going on with the code structure. A symptom
>   of nVIR is,the system locking up and problems with the Finder.
>   The problem with Interferon is that it will not ckeck HFS disks
>   so we run Kill Scores also.

This is not correct. I was just infected last week; Interferon 2.0 (earlier
than the version you use) has no problems with HFS on either hard disks or
floppies. Did you mean MFS?

At any rate, before you waste a lot of time playing with nVIR I suggest you
read Chris Borton's excelent article on it; he just wrote about it recently,
and mentioned where you could get a copy.

One thing to check- what is the size of the CODE 256 resources created by
nVIR?

----
Alexis Rosen                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Writing from                                {harpo,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!alexis
The Big Electric Cat                  {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/
Public UNIX                         Best path: uunet!dasys1!alexis