[comp.sys.mac] Mac IIx upgrade

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (09/25/88)

In article <1057@lakesys.UUCP> macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) writes:
>The suggested retail price for the Logic Board Upgrade Kit (requiring the
>trade-in of the current logic board) will be $2,199.
>
>The suggested retail price of the FDHD Upgrade Kit is $599; the PMMU chip is
>priced at $499.

$2200 for a logic board swap?  It's not bloody likely that I'll be
getting one of those, I guess.  At least not until the new roms
provide a drastic difference in functionality AND the price goes down.

Now.  A lot of people have been grumbling about price increases, (some
complaints justified, some not) and have been saying that for their
money, they may as well wait and buy the NeXT machine.

I have some problems with this.  I thought about this issue a lot last
year when I bought a Mac II.  In the end, I decided it wouldn't be
worth going computerless for a year, especially considering that I
could always sell my computer to get some of the money back.

So am I going to buy a NeXT machine this October?  Not likely.  I know
this is the rationale that the IBM people use to justify their
machines, but I do more with my machine than just stare at it and
appreciate how powerful it is.

What I mean by that is that anyone who buys a NeXT machine in the near
future is going to be stuck with something that runs UN*X and maybe
Write Now.  It'll be like an updated version of using a Mac in the
early days with just MacWrite and MacPaint.  Perhaps it won't be as
bad as I make it out, but there will surely be less software for the
NeXT machine in that crucial first year, which makes it just that much
less useful.  If my only purpose in using a computer was to program,
and even then, just for the joy of it, I suppose it would make sense
to buy the most powerful machine within my price range.  Like I said,
this argument sounds a lot like the IBM thing, so you've been warned
twice now.  Sure, there are a lot of UN*X programs out there.
However, if I just wanted to run UN*X programs, I would have bought a
Sun, not a Mac.  UN*X is great for programming on, but that's about
it.  Furthermore, there are just a lot of Macs around.  This more
important than it might appear at first.  This is why I wouldn't have
recommended an Amiga two years ago to a lot of people even though it
was more powerful in certain ways.  The only people I would have
recommended it to would have been serious programmers, and people who
really wanted color.  For casual users, I feel there would have been
more problems than anything else.  There are also a lot of other
IBMish arguments which could go here, like customer support, is the
company going to be vapor in two years, etc.

Now the NeXT case is a little different from the Amiga, becuase from
rumors, not only the hardware, but also the system software might be
better than Apple's.  OK.  The hardware is definitely going to be
better than Apple's.  Still, the interesting point here is that IMHO,
Macs have always had the best user interface among personal computers,
and this may come to an end next month.

Still, I can't justify spending $4000 on something which might not be
a solid investment.  Thanks to the University Consortium program, and
the recent price increases, I could probably sell my system now for as
much as I paid for it.  And in two years, I know that my machine won't
be completely useless.  I could sell it for some non-zero amount of
money, or if it's useful enough, I feel confident that I will be able
to upgrade to a fully functional machine, as long as I am willing to
pay.

Another factor to consider for us programmers is the money, time and
energy that we've spent on learning the Toolbox.  I've spent hundreds
of bucks on books, and more time than you can shake a stick at working
on this thing.  From what I hear, the NeXT machine has a nice
programmer's interface, which will make it that much more tempting in
a couple of years, but not now.

OK.  What is the moral here?  I wouldn't buy a NeXT machine until
watching its growth for at least a year.  How well does it sell?  How
is the customer support?  How is the upgrade policy?  Is there a lot
of software available?  Does the company look healthy?  The Lisa was a
very nice machine, but computers, unlike art, are there to be used,
not apprecieated.  I might sound very anti-NeXT, but that's really not
the case.  Nothing would be better for the industry than if this
machine did well.  I will either have a great computer from NeXT to
buy in a year or two, or Apple will get some pressure for once in the
user-friendly computer market, and they will put out amazing machines
of their own.  And their prices will have to go down if they get
serious competition.  I'm eagerly awaiting the NeXT machine, and I'm
also eagerly awaiting a massive (and long overdue) rewrite of the
system ROMs from Apple.  These days, Apple's software seems severely
burdened with the need to remain compatible with earlier software (the
patch to SFGetFile for sys 6.0 comes to mind)

So that's why I bought a Mac II last year.  I knew that however good
the NeXT machine turned out to be, I would probably end up waiting a
year or two after its release to get one, in which time my original
investment in the Mac II would have paid itself off, at least the way
I use computers.  I don't envy the computer buyer looking into the
high end of the personal computer market right about now.  He or she
has to make the decision I made, but with one less year to use the Mac
II, should he get one.  And I honestly don't know what I would do if I
were looking for a computer maybe six months or a year from now.  I'd
probably not get anything and wait around for the NeXT II or the
Mac III, depending on which looked more promising.  Buying a computer
is tough.  A computer is expensive, yet it is probably the fastest
depreciating item known to man.  It seems inevitable that I'll end up
selling my Mac II within three years (imagine having a computer for
four years), or equivalently, I'll have to pump in over $3000 to keep
upgrading to something usable.  Who knows.  Maybe two years from now,
I'll be writing to the net on a NeXT machine.

A short closing statement to an already too long article.  A lot of
people have been turned off by Apple's new corporate image.  To my
mind, this is what I've always wanted for Apple: success.  The price
increases have hurt us all, but the more successful Apple is, the more
their computers are worth.  With a wider installed user base, more
software, etc., the computer itself becomes more useful.  And I hate
to say it, but there are some advantages to the fact that Apple is now
bigger than ever.  I know that my $5000 investment isn't going to be
useless in two years.  What we have to watch out for is Apple turning
stagnant and resting on its laurels.  How much has the mac changed in
the last four years in order to stay ahead of the game.  How much has
the IBM PC?  The PS/2's are nice, in that when you look at their
motherboards, they don't look like a sophomore digital electronics
project, but that's about it.  As long as macs continue to improve
despite the fact that Apple is making loads of money, I'll be happy.

						-Sho

P.S. My guess is that a lot of people aren't going to be at that bash
in SF, and there are some people, like me, who don't get daily trade
newspapers, etc.  I don't even get the Journal and Courier, which is
to the New York Times what _Truly Tasteless Jokes_ is to P.G. Wodehouse.
As soon as anyone has any info about this, heck, as soon as anyone has
any more juicy rumors, please post lengthy posting so as we can drool
at them and wish that Apple was putting this machine out.  Thank you.