[comp.sys.mac] Request for info on Mac PD Statistics/Graphing Packages

erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) (09/24/88)

For a graduate-level class on Software Quality Assurance,

I need a package that will:
       	* Draw (and print -- although that's much the same on the Mac)
       	scatter plots for a set of data.
       	* Allow me to key in the data (or import it from some other
       	source, say a text file).
       	* Perform a least-squares fit on the data, and graph the result.
       	* Allow me to stratify the data and plot it, such that
       	the data points are divided into a number of groups,
       	based on input conditions.
        * Support cut/paste so that I can grab the graphs and the data,
       	and put the results into a word-processr document.

Basically, I think I need a statistics package.  Or, perhaps a
spreadsheet will do the trick.  Anyway, statistics are generally way
out of my league, so I am requesting advice.  What package should I
get (or at least look at)?  Are there any PD/Shareware/Freely Redistributable
statistics packages or spreadsheets out there? Any cheap commercial packages?
Perhaps a combination of packages (math and graphing)?

Thanks in advance (the net and all the nice people who post form
a wonderful resource).

-Eric

PS: Thanks for all those who responsed to my previous request on Tek 4010
terminal emulators (either Versaterm or uw seem to be the most-recommended

Eric F. Johnson          | Phone +1 612-894-0313             | Are we
Prime Automation,Inc     | UUCP:   bungia!pai!erc            | having
12201 Wood Lake Drive    | UUCP:   sun!tundra!pai!erc        | fun
Burnsville, MN 55337 USA | DOMAIN: erc@pai.mn.org            | yet?

wtj@mhuxu.UUCP (W. T. Jones, AT&T Bell Labs) (09/26/88)

In article <197@pai.UUCP> erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) writes:
>For a graduate-level class on Software Quality Assurance,
>
>I need a package that will:
>       	* Draw (and print -- although that's much the same on the Mac)
>       	scatter plots for a set of data.
>       	* Allow me to key in the data (or import it from some other
>       	source, say a text file).
>       	* Perform a least-squares fit on the data, and graph the result.
>       	* Allow me to stratify the data and plot it, such that
>       	the data points are divided into a number of groups,
>       	based on input conditions.
>        * Support cut/paste so that I can grab the graphs and the data,
>       	and put the results into a word-processr document.

We've been very happy so far with a program called KaleidaGraph (from the
people who brought you VersaTerm, and VersaTerm Pro...).
I think that it would handle many of your requests. Specifically:
  Up to 32,000 data points in a window.
  Numeric and text data entry.
  Enter data with the keyboard, clipboard or text file.
  Read user specified data formats including fixed/variable data widths
     and read/skip capability.
  Select data from multiple windows for plotting.
  Data is saved as binary or text.
  VERY FAST data entry and plotting (much faster that Cricket Graph)
    read a 20,000 data point file in less than a minute.
    (it plots 5-10 times faster than Cricket Graph too...)
  It has a formula entry window for entering algebraic equations for
     data manipulations.
  1000 step programmable RPN calculator.
     8 level stack
     100 memory registers
     execute a program on a data window selection.
     directly access any data position
     Conditional testing, Subroutines, nested loops...
     Store up to 20 programs in a menu.
  12 plot types (Line, Scatter, Histogram, Box, Probability (sampled and x-y),
     Double-Y, Percentile, Polar, Column, Stacked Column, Pie.)
  Selectable markers, patterns and colors.
  Log or Linear axis.
  Selectable axis limits and tic marks (inside, outside or both)
  Customized labels and legends
  Linked data/plots for automatic updating.
  Highlight data points or labels with arrows, lines and boxes
  Identify points
  Graphically select data regions for plotting.
  User selectable error bars.
  Linear/normal probability distributions plots.
  Curve Fits (linear, polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, power and
    weighted.)
  Save plots for later use as templates or as MacDraw/MacPaint documents.

As you can probably tell, we like it. KaleidaGraph is fast, very solid
program for analyzing data and creating plots. If you want to plot
large data sets quickly, print at the full resolution on the LaserWriter,
directly input non-TAB separated text data, or write your own custom macros
to analyze data; take a look at KaleidaGraph.

Bill Jones                      (215) 939-6195
AT&T Bell Labs                   att!mhuxu!wtj
2525 N. 12 St.
Reading, Pa

Disclaimer: I speak only as a satisfied user of KaleidaGraph and have
    no connection with Peripherals, Computers and Supplies.