[comp.sys.mac] What is RESPONDER?

raymond@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.arpa (Eric A. Raymond) (09/24/88)

Any idea what the RESPONDER init does?  It seems to register my machine
with some sort of appletalk resource, but this doesn't seemed to be used.
Guess I need yet another piece of "optional" apple software.

Name: Eric A. Raymond
ARPA: raymond@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov
SLOW: NASA Ames Research Center, MS 244-17, Moffett Field, CA 94035

Nothing left to do but :-) :-) :-)

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (09/25/88)

raymond@pluto.arc.nasa.gov (Eric A. Raymond) writes:
> Any idea what the RESPONDER init does?  It seems to register my machine
> with some sort of appletalk resource, but this doesn't seemed to be used.
> Guess I need yet another piece of "optional" apple software.

	Responder responds to requests from Inter*Poll for information.
Inter*Poll is an Apple product (order number M-0697) which is sort of
ruptime, ping, and finger rolled into one.  If you are administering an
AppleTalk network with more than just a few nodes, you almost certainly
should have Inter*Poll; with it you can see who's on the net, what version
of the system software they are running, test network connectivity, etc.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

carr@Apple.COM (Randy Carr) (09/27/88)

In article <15393@ames.arc.nasa.gov> raymond@pluto.arc.nasa.gov (Eric A. Raymond) writes:
>Any idea what the RESPONDER init does?  It seems to register my machine
>with some sort of appletalk resource, but this doesn't seemed to be used.
>Guess I need yet another piece of "optional" apple software.

Hi Eric,

I'm the author of the "optional responder" software.  Responder was written as
an INIT31 to allow all Macintoshes running it recognition as being on the
AppleTalk network.  The companion application for Responder is called
Inter*Poll and it allows network administrators to find devices connected to
a selected AppleTalk network and in the case of Macintoshes running Responder,
the ability to send packets to those Macs and get some system software version
information: System, Finder, LaserWriter driver, and AppleShare version strings.

No, Responder does NOT allow the ability to download code to a workstation or
manipulate any data on the workstation.  It simply installs Echo protocol (at
startup time) if the old version of AppleTalk is present (Mac 512Ks, Plus, XLs
only), and installs a ATP driven socket listener to return the system software version strings to someone who asks for this info.

If you don't need or use AppleTalk administration, you don't need Responder.  It was my attempt to get everyone used to having Responder around so we could really do some great stuff in the future...

>Name: Eric A. Raymond
>ARPA: raymond@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov
>SLOW: NASA Ames Research Center, MS 244-17, Moffett Field, CA 94035

Randy Carr                                          Network Systems Development
Domain: carr@apple.com                                     Apple Computer, Inc.
UUCP:   {nsc,dual,sun,voder}!apple!carr             20525 Mariani Ave. M/S 27-O
AppleLink: CARR2                                            Cupertino, CA 95014

Opinions & Responses are my own and do NOT represent my employer...