[comp.sys.mac] Rebirth of the Mac Plus.

ph@cci632.UUCP (Pete Hoch) (09/21/88)

In article <1257@aucs.UUCP>, peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
> We have a steadily growing Mac Lab, presently equipped with Mac SE's only.
> That model has gone up substantially and we will now be forced to purchase
> what we consider obsolete technology--the Mac Plus.
                   ^^^^^^^^

If the Plus is obsolete then why did you buy the Mac SE?  There is nothing
an SE can do that my Plus can't do also.  Apple has bent over backwards to
make sure that the Plus has remained compatible and useable.  I think
the way Apple effectivly 'lowered' the price of a Mac Plus is great.  Now
people will see the machine for what it is, a low priced entery level
Macintosh.

Pete Hoch

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (09/23/88)

>> We have a steadily growing Mac Lab, presently equipped with Mac SE's only.
>> That model has gone up substantially and we will now be forced to purchase
>> what we consider obsolete technology--the Mac Plus.
>                   ^^^^^^^^
> If the Plus is obsolete then why did you buy the Mac SE?  There is nothing
> an SE can do that my Plus can't do also.  Apple has bent over backwards to

Obsolete is probably not the right term. We prefer the Mac SE because of its
superior keyboard, dual internal floppy drives (this is ideal for a lab; if
we had got MacPluses for our lab, we would have to had bought second external
drives, which is something more for students to swipe), and its internal
expansion slots. It does run slightly faster as well. You have to admit
though, the MacPlus has been around for quite a while and with the way
computer technology grows, it doesn't take long for an item to be considered
"obsolete", or at least not state-of-the-art. Let's face it, the MacPlus
can't even support a "real" control key...

But you're right, there's not much an SE can do that a Plus can't. Still, we
consider the Plus a less than adequate choice for our lab...

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (09/27/88)

In article <1262@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>We prefer the Mac SE because of its
>superior keyboard,

If you think the Plus keyboard is bad, try the original with no cursor keys.
I went from an SE at work to my little 512 at home and didn't know how to
function.  After buying the DataDesk 101 keyboard for my home system, I
immediately replaced both SE keyboards with DataDesk keyboards.  I was really
glad that I couldn't find a Plus keyboard when I tried Apple dealers.

Two of my friends bought new Plus's a couple years ago with 20MB hard disks
installed internally.  Of course this wasn't a normal Apple dealer; I think
they call them VARs.  I'm managing to coexist with my upgraded 512 at home
and a Mac II with a large screen at work.  I've done a lot more work at
home than I have at work in the past 6 months, so I know you can get some
significant work done with less than state of the art.

That's not to say I don't covet a Mac II for myself.  Sometimes you just
have to do the best you can with what you have.  My car isn't the fastest
one on the road either, so I just relax and enjoy the trip.