[comp.sys.mac] Changing the World, One Person at a Time

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, Architect) (09/24/88)

In article <6295@ut-emx.UUCP> osmigo@emx.UUCP (Ron Morgan) writes:
>[mucho discussion about Apple leaving behind "the rest of us."]
>
>Meanwhile, I meet people putting together umpteen-MHz PC clones with
>40meg hard disks for a thousand dollars or so, and I wonder who the REAL
>suckers are in this business. When I think of the PC setup I could have
>put together for the cost of this SE/hard disk outfit...gawd, it takes my
>breath away.....

A more appropriate question here would be: what can you do with a PC clone
and what can you do with a Mac; and what are the relative degrees of
flexibility and ease of use and power?

There are many within Apple that lament the price increases.
The topic of price increases has been beaten to death on the net.
There are many reasons that Apple has raised prices.  The decline of
the dollar, expiration of long term contracts for components have
all contributed.  Prices will fall when global market conditions
allow them to.  Market forces will see to that.

There are many dedicated people at Apple committed to making the best
darn personal computers in the world.  I think that Apple does a pretty good
job.  People are willing to pay a premium for the best.  If you want a
Hyuandai Excel over a BMW, go ahead.  But BMW's still sell very very well.
And for very distinct reasons.  Both will get you from point A to point B.
One just does it in a more comfortable, more stylish, more whatever manner.

Among the people I have the honor to work with at Apple, we are still
totally dedicated to changing the world - one person at a time.

There may be times when Apple may seem drift from the ideals of putting
personal computers infused with the Apple philosophy into the hands of
ordinary and extraordinary people - for the "rest" of us.

But these ideals form a basic core of the Apple corporate culture.
If Apple were to turn into yet another boring business-only
computer company, there would be a lot of people looking for a place to work
that captures the original Apple ideals.  There are a lot of people within
and without Apple working very hard to make sure that these ideals are not
compromised.

Sometimes I wish I could only show you what we are working towards, what our
dreams are.

If you would like to comment on this, please respond via e-mail so that
this newsgroup can resume its regularly scheduled programming.... :-)

Of course, I speak for myself and not for Apple Computer, Inc.  I have
no connections with Hyuandai or BMW.  This is not a product endorsement.
Byron Han, Communications Architect                   "Just say NO to MS-DOS."
Apple Computer, Inc.                     -------------------------------------
20525 Mariani Ave, MS27Y                 domain: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                      UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
--------------------------------------   GENIE: BYRONHAN
ATTnet: 408-973-6450   Applelink: HAN1   CompuServe: 72167,1664

palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (09/25/88)

From what I hear of the NeXT machine (the wild rumors posted here from the
Sept 19th issue of ?InfoWorld? and more reasonable rumors posted on
a local bulletin board) I would pay ~$1000 for ROMs which would make
Steve Job's hardware run like a Macintosh.  Alternatively, I would buy
the Mac III, hardware equivalent to the NeXT, for $1000 more than I would
pay for the NeXT.

How about it, Apple?  If low production capability is the reason you are
raising prices, you can just buy up NeXT's entire output, plug in new
ROMS (production facilities for ROMs are very cheap and require little
lead time) and make a killing  (~$950 a machine, plus the additional
market share you cannot currently fill, plus being on the cutting
edge again.)

		David Palmer
		palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu
		...rutgers!cit-vax!tybalt.caltech.edu!palmer
			"Flowers -- Just say NO!!"
					- Mighty Mouse

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (09/26/88)

<From what I hear of the NeXT machine (the wild rumors posted here from the
<
<How about it, Apple?  If low production capability is the reason you are
<raising prices, you can just buy up NeXT's entire output, plug in new
<ROMS (production facilities for ROMs are very cheap and require little
<lead time) and make a killing  (~$950 a machine, plus the additional
<market share you cannot currently fill, plus being on the cutting
<edge again.)
<
Oh, but the NeXT ROMs sound incredible.  If they're half as good as they
are rumored to be, they would still be an interesting alternative to the
Mac OS.  Now if you could open up a Mac process on the NeXT machine in
its own window, I'd sell my Mac II and buy it in an instant.  But these
are just pipe dreams, no?  I'm getting pretty worried on this side, despite
my posting of a few days ago saying I'm glad I bought a Mac.  Maybe in
a year....  The programmer's interface is the thing that's making me drool.
If I could only be guaranteed that good software would be available within
months, and that the company would do well in the marketplace, so I don't
get stuck with a nice machine that isn't worth much (like the Lisa)....
*sigh*

-Sho

mbkennel@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Matthew B. Kennel) (09/28/88)

>my posting of a few days ago saying I'm glad I bought a Mac.  Maybe in
>a year....  The programmer's interface is the thing that's making me drool.
>If I could only be guaranteed that good software would be available within
>months, and that the company would do well in the marketplace, so I don't
>get stuck with a nice machine that isn't worth much (like the Lisa)....
>-Sho

Good software for the NeXT machine is available in _seconds_, is pretty
much free and comes with source code:  How about

ftp uunet.uu.net
ftp>cd comp.sources.unix

I'd guess that, if they did things right, most software should compile
as is.  (well, maybe).

Oh, so you wanted _windows_?  I'm not sure, but I thought the NeXT user
interface was based on X windows.  (Note that X does NOT specify a user
interface; many have been developed that use X as the underlying
protocol).  Then, by presumption, NeXT has X, and so alot of basic X
software will run.  (No, so far I haven't seen any X programs that are
as nice or friendly as the Macs', but my I think my customized twm is
pretty nice).

Presumably, the FSF will include the NeXT machine in their emacs and
C compilers configuration file:

Then, you can get the world's best text editor, and a C(and C++)
compiler that's far better than anything on a micro (and on most larger
computers, too!), for free.

Matt Kennel
mbkennel@phoenix.princeton.edu

(Pray that NeXT/IBM give the NeXT interface to the OSF and that the OSF
 uses it)