[comp.sys.mac] Apple diacritical marks

borton@uva.UUCP (Chris Borton) (09/23/88)

In article <1454@pur-phy> sho@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
>In article <619@ethz.UUCP> macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) writes:
><The standard fonts
><all have accented characters included for all germanic, roman and
><celtic languages, including French.

>What about the upside down hat accent that appears in some eastern
>European langs (like in Dvorak the composer)?  Pretty annoying for
>Apple to have left these out, especially when cataloging my records...

Apple remained pretty strictly on the side of _western_ european languages.
What I'd like to know is whether that decision was made on economic grounds
(eastern Europe isn't a huge Mac market :-)) or simply narrow-mindedness.
New York, Geneva and Monaco were set quite a while before the laser fonts
came along and had plenty of free character slots (including the robot and
rabbit :-))

-cbb
--
Chris Borton	borton%uva@mcvax.{nl,bitnet,uucp}
Rotary Scholar, University of Amsterdam CS

jamesm@sco.COM (James M. Moore) (09/29/88)

In article <540@uva.UUCP> borton@uva.UUCP (Chris Borton) writes:
>>In article <619@ethz.UUCP> macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) writes:
>><The standard fonts all have accented characters included for all germanic, roman and
>><celtic languages, including French.
   ^^^^^^

Does dim to bach yn y Facintosh (and then my Welsh disolves...) when
using 'w' and 'y'.  (Meaning, in very broken Welsh, that the macintosh
doesn't have a circumflex over 'y's and 'w's, which Welsh needs.)
The Mac can cope with Irish and Scottish Gaelic though, as they only
need accent marks (really length marks) and many more 'h's than are
found in most other Western European languages.  (Unless you want to
indicate lenition with dots, but that's not really modern
orthography.)

Slainte 'is hwyl,

--
** James Moore **