[comp.sys.mac] Crippling NeXT machines, and an anecdote

caromero@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (C. Antonio Romero) (09/29/88)

In article <8079@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (David Palmer) writes:
>From what I hear of the NeXT machine (the wild rumors posted here from the
>Sept 19th issue of ?InfoWorld? and more reasonable rumors posted on
>a local bulletin board) I would pay ~$1000 for ROMs which would make
>Steve Job's hardware run like a Macintosh.
>How about it, Apple? just buy up NeXT's entire output, plug in new
>ROMS (production facilities for ROMs are very cheap and require little
>lead time) and make a killing ...

You forget one little detail:
WHERE DO YOU PROPOSE TO GET THE CODE TO PUT IN THESE ROMS?

Such a trick is decidedly non-trivial.

Also, I'm sure NeXT would resist such a move rather strenuously, even
if it were technically feasible...
And why would Apple go to all this trouble to make the NeXT machine emulate
something substantially inferior (their old Mac technology)?
Buying out NeXT, on the other hand, might get them somewhere...

A friend of mine interviewed at NeXT some weeks ago.  He reported that
he never actually saw one-- as he was being led from place to place in
the building, people would walk ahead of him and close all the doors
along the hallways where he was walking...  Sounds like fun to me.

-Antonio Romero    romero@confidence.princeton.edu