[comp.sys.mac] real greek font wanted

tnphhbu@dutrun.UUCP (Hans Buurman) (09/28/88)

I offered to help out some people who want to write ancient Greek on a
Mac. Now Symbol is a good font for doing math, but it seems some accents
or punctuation marks are missing. (Sorry, I don't now what they're
called in English :-). So could someone point me at a REAL Greek font ?

I would also appreciate flames if I can use Symbol but just don't know
how.

Thanks in advance,

	Hans
(hans@duttnph, mcvax!dutrun!duttnph!hans, tnphhbu@dutrun, ... )
Disclaimer: Greek is Greek to me....

mls@mhuxu.UUCP (Michael Siemon) (09/29/88)

In article <492@dutrun.UUCP>, tnphhbu@dutrun.UUCP (Hans Buurman) writes:

>  ... Now Symbol is a good font for doing math, but it seems some accents
> or punctuation marks are missing. (Sorry, I don't now what they're
> called in English :-). So could someone point me at a REAL Greek font ?

Look for stuff from "Linguists Software":

You can order (from MacConnection) both bit-mapped and PostScript Greek fonts.
(They also have a conversion program (which I have not tried) to transform
texts downloaded from the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae into this font.  One of
their best deals is a package with (bit-mapped) Greek, Hebrew and IPA symbols.
(They also have the currently definitive texts of Hebrew and Greek biblical
works -- yes, including the Septuagint) in either Word or MacWrite format.

Looks real good.

disclaimer: I am not a real g[r]eek.
--
Michael L. Siemon
contracted to AT&T Bell Laboratories

pv9y@vax5.CCS.CORNELL.EDU (09/29/88)

In article <492@dutrun.UUCP> tnphhbu@dutrun.UUCP (Hans Buurman) writes:

>I offered to help out some people who want to write ancient Greek on a
>Mac. Now Symbol is a good font for doing math, but it seems some accents
>or punctuation marks are missing. (Sorry, I don't now what they're
>called in English :-). So could someone point me at a REAL Greek font ?
>
>I would also appreciate flames if I can use Symbol but just don't know
>how.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>	Hans
>(hans@duttnph, mcvax!dutrun!duttnph!hans, tnphhbu@dutrun, ... )
>Disclaimer: Greek is Greek to me....

Hmm,
   You have a couple of options.  You could use SMK Greek Keys or Kadmos,
of which are commercial, or I could upload a font a friend and I did in
ResEdit (it's not real pretty, but not too bad) once I get the circumflex
working right.  It's called Neuburg, in honor of our professor that term.

Just tell me if you want it uploaded.

                                                Adam

Xaipe filon  (poor transliteration)

pv9y@crnlvax5.ccs.cornell.edu
or more likely
pv9y@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu

diplas@larry.UUCP (Athanassios Diplas) (09/29/88)

In article <492@dutrun.UUCP> tnphhbu@dutrun.UUCP (Hans Buurman) writes:

>I offered to help out some people who want to write ancient Greek on a
>Mac. Now Symbol is a good font for doing math, but it seems some accents
>or punctuation marks are missing. (Sorry, I don't now what they're
>called in English :-). So could someone point me at a REAL Greek font ?
>
>(hans@duttnph, mcvax!dutrun!duttnph!hans, tnphhbu@dutrun, ... )
>Disclaimer: Greek is Greek to me....

You might take a look at SuperGreek (or LaserGreek for the Laserwriter),
from Linguistic software. I have used it only a little bit and it seems
to be able to do all that you are asking for (both accents and spirits and
punctuation marks). I also know that you can mail order it for about 60 and
80 for the Supergreek and Lasergreek respctively

Athanassios Diplas

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are mine and not those of my
employers. I don't have any affiliation with Linguistic Software.

joe@haddock.ima.isc.com (Joe Chapman) (09/29/88)

If you need to prepare a critical apparatus or notes as well as write
in Classical Greek I'd recommend MacGreek by Linguist's Software
(South Hamilton, MA; ~$59 from MacConnection).  Accents, breathings,
and so forth are on keys that automatically backspace over the
previous letter (as opposed to, e.g., having several different "a"
keys, each with a different diacritical mark or marks).  I find this
system easier to use, and it also frees up space in the font for
critical symbols.

The critical symbols are heavily oriented towards Patristic and New
Testament work, though I haven't seen any glaring omissions that would
hamper work in other fields.  If you like to use a Fraktur "s" for
scholia you're out of luck but that's about it.  If you edit NT
papryological evidence the font will inspire in you a fervent passion,
most unseemly for one engaged in such dread and holy work.

I've not used the Kadmos font, though judging from the reviews it uses
the "several-different-a" approach; it seems to me that several common
text-critical practices such as indicating questionable letters in
mutilated papyri (dots underneath the letters) cannot be done under
such a scheme.

I have no connection with Linguist's Software other than being a
delighted customer.

--
Joe Chapman	Interactive Systems	Boston
joe@haddock.ima.isc.com