[comp.sys.mac] PICT to PIC filter

nala@ihlpl.ATT.COM (A. Flora-Holmquist) (09/27/88)

I would like to include MAC drawings in troff documents and would
appreciate a few pointers from anyone who has already solved this
problem. Our system configuration consists of a stand-alone MAC and a
large UN*X machine with large Xerox printers. What I would like to do
is: Use Macdraw or a similar tool to construct an illustration, then
run a filter on the drawing file that produces PIC source. I can then
use the PIC source in a troff document.

Thanks for the help, please send info to:

ihnp4!ihlpl!nala

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (09/28/88)

This isn't exactly what you asked for, but...
if you have eroff you can include MacPaint documents
without filtering them.

-Ted

dvk@sei.cmu.edu (Daniel Klein) (09/30/88)

In article <6903@ihlpl.ATT.COM> nala@ihlpl.ATT.COM (A. Flora-Holmquist) writes:

    > I would like to include MAC drawings in troff documents and would
    > appreciate a few pointers from anyone who has already solved this
    > problem.

Avatar currently offers a number of Macintosh printer drivers, one of which
accomplishes exactly what "nala" seeks.  MDPIC produces Unix "pic" files from
almost any Mac application (including MacDraw, Cricket Draw, Excel, MacWrite,
MS Word, Fullwrite, Chemintosh, etc.).  The "pic" files are fed through Unix
pic and troff to produce Unix troff documents with included pictures.

For further information, call Avatar at 412/422-9509, or write at Avatar at
5606 Northumberland, Pittsburgh PA  15217-1238.  Product information and demo
packages are available.
--
	"The only thing that separates us from the animals is

				_   /|
				\'o.O'
				=(___)=
				ACK! PTHFT!