[comp.sys.mac] line on colour monitor

pgil@sphinx.uchicago.edu (paul gilna) (09/16/88)

We just took delivery of a 4 Meg Mac II with colour monitor.
The monitor is the Apple/Sony 13in Trinitron standard model.
It is showing a thin grey horizontal line about 3/4 down the screen.
Our Sales people said we would have to live with it, Apple won't
take it back.
I know I have seen stuff on the net before about this: does anyone
have the complete picture?

Thanks, paul

--
UUCP: ...!gargoyle!sphinx!pgil,       INTERNET: pgil@sphinx.UChicago.edu
      Analogue: (312) 702-6971:  Hullo, um, is Paul there?

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (09/16/88)

In article <4559@sphinx.uchicago.edu> pgil@sphinx.uchicago.edu writes:
>We just took delivery of a 4 Meg Mac II with colour monitor.
>The monitor is the Apple/Sony 13in Trinitron standard model.
>It is showing a thin grey horizontal line about 3/4 down the screen.
>Our Sales people said we would have to live with it, Apple won't
>take it back.

The sales people are right; you have to live with it.  The line is, more or
less, a shadow cast by a very, very thin wire running behind the screen.
Basically, there's no way to get the resolution of the Trinitron in colo(u)r
without that stabilizing wire in there.  Exactly what it's for I couldn't
tell you, but I do know it's visible, to a lesser or greater extent in some
cases, in many other very-high-resolution RGB monitors.  And, in case you
were wondering, yes, every Apple high resolution RGB monitor has that line.

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen N.E. Bos) (09/16/88)

In article <4559@sphinx.uchicago.edu> pgil@sphinx.uchicago.edu (paul  gilna) writes:
>It is showing a thin grey horizontal line about 3/4 down the screen.

There it is again! YES, Sony does really make screens that have a horizontal
line through them.  They even sell screens that have TWO lines!
And then they call it "high quality"...
So, I'm sorry for you, live with it, or buy a real monitor :-).
--
  -- Jurjen N.E. Bos (jurjen@cwi.nl)

swilson%thetone@Sun.COM (Scott Wilson) (09/17/88)

When I got my Mac II home and fired it up I noticed that line and thought
"we'll just call the dealer and get another one."  Wrong.  The word was
"they all look like that, get used to it."  I found this to be maddening.
What I want to know is is it possible to build a monitor of the same
(otherwise) quality without the line.  If it is, then why didn't Apple
have a fit with Sony just the way we did with Apple?  I think it would
have been nice of Apple to demand quality components from their supplier
instead of just passing it along to the consumer and saying "we get it
that way so you get it that way."

--
Scott Wilson		arpa: swilson@sun.com
Sun Microsystems	uucp: ...!sun!swilson

"And the fool loves war, and the gentle die."	-The Call

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (09/19/88)

In article <68764@sun.uucp> swilson@sun.UUCP (Scott Wilson) writes:
" ...
" What I want to know is is it possible to build a monitor of the same
" (otherwise) quality without the line.  If it is, then why didn't Apple
" have a fit with Sony just the way we did with Apple?  I think it would
" ...

a) Yes, it is possible. Conrac, Barco, and others have been doing it
   for decades.

b) Probably because they were cheaper than Conrac and Barco, and
   sometimes you get what you pay for.

--
"Have you ever wondered if taxation without representation was cheaper?"

	Julian "Dr. Wombat" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu || {...decvax!}ames!riacs!julian

rfortier@palladium.UUCP (Richard W. Fortier) (09/19/88)

In article <68764@sun.uucp> you write:
>When I got my Mac II home and fired it up I noticed that line and thought
>"we'll just call the dealer and get another one."  Wrong.  The word was
>"they all look like that, get used to it." ...
> ... If it is, then why didn't Apple
>have a fit with Sony just the way we did with Apple?

All my rumors indicate Apple DID have a fit with Sony; why do you
think it took so long to bring the Apple color monitor to market?

The Sony Trinitron monitors are generally acknowledged to be the
sharpest available.  If the price for this crispness is a hardly
noticeable shadow from a stabilizing wire, I may not like it but I'd
rather have the shadow than eystrain from fuzzy text.

Personally, I don't think the shadow makes a bit of difference; I
never notice it unless I'm looking for it, and I find this is true of
most others also.  But since it does seem to bother a few people, how
about a more constructive conversation than just flaming Apple/Sony;
does anyone know of a monitor as crisp as the Apple/Sony monitor which
DOESN'T have any shadows?

Rich
--
---
Richard W. Fortier, Epoch Systems Inc. (617) 481-3717

bcase@cup.portal.com (09/20/88)

> What I want to know is is it possible to build a monitor of the same
> (otherwise) quality without the line.  If it is, then why didn't Apple
> have a fit with Sony just the way we did with Apple?  I think it would
>a) Yes, it is possible. Conrac, Barco, and others have been doing it
>   for decades.
>b) Probably because they were cheaper than Conrac and Barco, and
>   sometimes you get what you pay for.

Oh please!  I can't believe this!
1) ALL SONY TRINITRON CRTs HAVE "THE LINE."  LARGER ONES HAVE TWO LINES!  Yes,
even the commercial, NTSC trinitron TVs (you have to look close) have the
lines.  The line(s) is a wire needed to maintain the shape of the shadow mask,
which is cylindrical instead of shperical.
2) I realize that monitor quality is subjective, but if you compare the Apple
color monitor to any other, you will probably see that it is as good or better
than anything else available (although I have never seen a Zenith flat
tension mask monitor connected to a Mac II, it may be pretty good).  Don't
believe me, check with MacUser this month (or maybe it is some other Mac mag,
but there is a mag with a color-monitor-comparison-and-evaluation article).
Apple has some of the most stringent quality standards in the industry.  I am
100% sure that if another monitor were available with the overall quality of
the Sony and without "the line," Apple would have gone with it.

Don't for a minute think that Apple chose the Sony monitor based soley on
price!!  It may come as a shock, but there are lots of buyers out there who
will simply walk out the door if you start quibbling over a couple hunderd
bucks.  What they want is the highest possible quality, in the largest sense
of the word, combined with buying, billing, delivery, and sevicing ease.  That
is they, want to buy high quality stuff from *Apple.*  Apple has a
responsibility to provide the uninitiated but demanding computer user with
one-stop shopping.  If you don't like what Apple provides, then you are free
to go to your junk shop and buy a "lineless" monitor.  That's one of the things
the Mac II is all about.  Quit yer bitchin'.  Read the MacUser article.
(I have a SuperMac 16" Trinitron system with two lines, and I *love* it!)

casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) (09/20/88)

In article <68764@sun.uucp> swilson@sun.UUCP (Scott Wilson) writes:

>What I want to know is is it possible to build a monitor of the same
>(otherwise) quality without the line.

From the rest of your posting, it appears that you DO know how to solve
that problem.  If so, I think Sony would like to see your resume.

David Casseres

swilson%thetone@Sun.COM (Scott Wilson) (09/20/88)

In article <17367@apple.Apple.COM> casseres@apple.com.UUCP (David Casseres) writes:
>In article <68764@sun.uucp> swilson@sun.UUCP (Scott Wilson) writes:
>
>>What I want to know is is it possible to build a monitor of the same
>>(otherwise) quality without the line.
>
>From the rest of your posting, it appears that you DO know how to solve
>that problem.  If so, I think Sony would like to see your resume.

What on earth are you talking about?

--
Scott Wilson		arpa: swilson@sun.com
Sun Microsystems	uucp: ...!sun!swilson
Mt. View, CA

Fabian@cup.portal.com (09/20/88)

Paul,

They're right, Apple won't take it back.  Why?  Because it really is a feature
of the Trinitron tubes.  The line that you show is the shadow of a wire that
supports a mask.

13" and 16" Trinitrons have one and the 19" Trinitrons have two.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology, Inc.

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

clive@drutx.ATT.COM (Clive Steward) (09/20/88)

From article <908@hydra.riacs.edu>, by julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez):
> In article <68764@sun.uucp> swilson@sun.UUCP (Scott Wilson) writes:
> " ...
> " What I want to know is is it possible to build a monitor of the same
> " (otherwise) quality without the line.  If it is, then why didn't Apple
> " have a fit with Sony just the way we did with Apple?  I think it would
> " ...
>
> a) Yes, it is possible. Conrac, Barco, and others have been doing it
>    for decades.

Julian, do you have substantiation for this?  That the monitors are as
good as the Apple (or for that matter Sony w/o Apple) ones which use
the tube with the support structure which gives the line?

I think at very least, your word 'decades' clues that you are not
talking about the resolution quality level of modern screens.

Further, if memory serves, 2 months ago MacUser or MacWorld did a very
complete study of color monitors.  Conclusions remembered:  Apple w/line
is indeed the best possible, Sony w/line is also very good, Conrac lower.
Am I wrong?

Clive Steward

bcase@cup.portal.com (09/21/88)

>13" and 16" Trinitrons have one and the 19" Trinitrons have two.

No, 16" Trinitrons have *two* lines (mask support wires).  At least mine
does.

And by the way, I totally disagree with the MacUser Review of the SuperMac
16" Trinitron:  None of the drawbacks they cite, except the moire' and
slight pincushioning, are evident on my unit!  I think they must have gotten
a lemon or something.

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, Architect) (09/21/88)

as an interesting note, in real trinitrons the line is 1/3 of the way _down_
from the _top_ of the screen.  apple had sony invert things to move it out
of the prime viewing area (at least the prime viewing area according to
the human interface group at apple)

Byron Han, Communications Architect                   "Just say NO to MS-DOS."
Apple Computer, Inc.                     -------------------------------------
20525 Mariani Ave, MS27Y                 domain: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                      UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
--------------------------------------   GENIE: BYRONHAN
ATTnet: 408-973-6450   Applelink: HAN1   CompuServe: 72167,1664

swilson%thetone@Sun.COM (Scott Wilson) (09/21/88)

>The Sony Trinitron monitors are generally acknowledged to be the
>sharpest available.  If the price for this crispness is a hardly
>noticeable shadow from a stabilizing wire, I may not like it but I'd
>rather have the shadow than eystrain from fuzzy text.

I definitely agree.  What I find discouraging is that no one at the dealer
or at Apple (yes, we called them) ever put it in terms of a tradeoff.
What we heard was "sorry it's just that way."  What I think would have
been the better response to customers is something like:  "in order to
to get the best picture quality we (Apple) have chosen to use Sony
Trinitron monitors.  Inherent in the Trinitron design is the use of
a stabilizing wire which casts a slightly noticeable shadow.  We felt
that the improved picture quality outweighed the negative aspects of the
wire shadow."  Now that would have made me a happier customer and
would have saved all of you from hearing me bitch.

--

rampil@cca.ucsf.edu (Ira Rampil) (09/22/88)

In article <9281@cup.portal.com> Fabian@cup.portal.com writes:

>13" and 16" Trinitrons have one(line) and the 19" Trinitrons have two.
>
>Fabian Ramirez
>SuperMac Technology, Inc.
Sorry Fabian,
	My Supermac 16" Sony monitor has two lines. . . and
frankly, I don't give a damn.  I do very graphics intensive
work and the monitor is simply razor sharp with beautifully saturated
color renderings.  I know the lines are there, but I don't see
them unless I look for them.

Ira Rampil

Disclaimer: I speak for myself until I can afford to hire someone
            to do it for me.

kmw@ardent.UUCP (Ken Wallich) (09/22/88)

In article <17467@apple.Apple.COM> han@apple.com.UUCP (Byron Han, Architect) writes:
>as an interesting note, in real trinitrons the line is 1/3 of the way _down_
>from the _top_ of the screen.  apple had sony invert things to move it out
>of the prime viewing area (at least the prime viewing area according to
>the human interface group at apple)

Oh, so that is why my Sony 1302 Multiscan, manufactured in June of 1987 and
tuned for an IBM PC type machine has it 2/3 of the way DOWN the screen.
Of course, the 13" color HP monitor I use to use (that also had a Sony tube
in it) had the line in the same place, and *that* was manufactured in 1985.
I guess they figured those HI guys at Apple were so bright, that they should
change the production of ALL the monitors they produced, even before Apple
asked for the change (I know, they use the Cray for time travel :-).

Good grief.

--
Ken Wallich
Ardent Computer Corp		{uunet, ubvax, decwrl, hplabs}!ardent!kmw

jimc@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Jim Cathey) (09/23/88)

In article <602@ardent.UUCP> kmw@ardent.UUCP (Ken Wallich) writes:
[...]

All you have to do is put the picture tube in the box upside down and
swap the yoke connections!  No big deal.  Whether or not Apple _thought_
of the idea originally (which I highly doubt -- Sony surely gets that
award) they were the ones who required of Sony to do such a thing, which
translates to "had" in my book.

+----------------+
! II      CCCCCC !  Jim Cathey
! II  SSSSCC     !  ISC Systems Corp.
! II      CC     !  TAF-C8;  Spokane, WA  99220
! IISSSS  CC     !  UUCP: uunet!iscuva!jimc
! II      CCCCCC !  (509) 927-5757
			"With excitement like this, who is needing enemas?"

ns@cat.cmu.edu (Nicholas Spies) (09/30/88)

I've been looking at Sony monitors for years (video, computer) and always
wondered what that thin line was. An article in MacUser claims it is a wire
to reenforce the tensed vertical wires that constitute the shadow mask on
a Trinitron. So much for perfection...

--
Nicholas Spies			ns@cat.cmu.edu.arpa
Center for Design of Educational Computing