[comp.sys.mac] What happened to Word 4.0???

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (09/29/88)

  Does anyone know what ever happened to Word 4.0 for the Macintosh.  I'm a
FWP person and I had to put up with how much better it was going to be over
FWP for so long, what has happened to this FWP-Killer program. :-)

  My roommate has Word 3.02 and we've been waiting for Word 4.0 for a long
time now.  Wasn't it supposed to ship in August???

  Any information would be helpful.  Thankyou
--
David M. O'Rourke                                  dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

"If it doesn't do Windows, then it's not a computer!!!"
Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (09/29/88)

>  My roommate has Word 3.02 and we've been waiting for Word 4.0 for a long
>time now.  Wasn't it supposed to ship in August???

Nope. Supposed to go to Beta in August. According to rumors, it is still in
Beta. Due out sometime by the end of the year, I believe, but I don't know
that Microsoft has committed to a date.

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ
Editor/Publisher, OtherRealms

jackd@copper.SDP.TEK.COM (Jack Decker) (09/30/88)

In article <70776@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>  My roommate has Word 3.02 and we've been waiting for Word 4.0 for a long
>>time now.  Wasn't it supposed to ship in August???
>
>Nope. Supposed to go to Beta in August. According to rumors, it is still in
>Beta. Due out sometime by the end of the year, I believe, but I don't know
>that Microsoft has committed to a date.

I spoke with a MS tech writer last week and he told me that their
announced release date--this October--was on schedule. The product
has appeared in the First Look column of InfoWorld as well, so I don't
think we have too much longer to wait.

jack decker                 | "First, take the shrink-wrap off the package
Tektronix Word Hack         | and remove this manual"

psych@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (R.Crispin - Psychology) (09/30/88)

Someone from Microsoft is coming to our Oct. 13 usergroup meeting. Who ever
is coming will be talking about Word 4.0. Apparently it will be officially
released on Oct. 15 or 17. This is what we were told.

Richard Crispin
Dept. of Psychology             Bitnet: psych@watdcs
University of Waterloo          Unix  : psych@watdcsu.UWaterloo.ca
Waterloo, Ont.   Canada   N2L 3G1
(519)885-1211 ext 2879

shane@chablis.cc.umich.edu (Shane Looker) (09/30/88)

In article <2436@copper.SDP.TEK.COM> jackd@copper.SDP.TEK.COM (Jack Decker) writes:
>In article <70776@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>I spoke with a MS tech writer last week and he told me that their
>announced release date--this October--was on schedule.
>jack decker

Yes, but when is Word 4.0.1 scheduled for release?  It won't be useable until
then.

(No need for a :-) because it is pathetic.)

Shane Looker   |  Looker@um.cc.umich.edu
"Subtle as a chainsaw, lacking all the social graces..."

pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Paul G. Nevai) (09/30/88)

The remark about WORD 4.01 was somewhat undeserved and malicious.
I've been useing and comparing WORD since it first came out three and
a half years ago. No matter what I bought I always returned to WORD.
I even have now a FullWrite which I don't use (it's OK but not enough
control of paragraph spacing and math formulas). (Fortunately I paid
the educational discount which was so low that I don't really mind.)
I am not starting a debate, BUT I luv WORD 3.02. Period.

Usual disclaimers etc.

Paul Nevai                                pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu
Department of Mathematics                 TS1171@ohstvma.BITNET
The Ohio State University                 73057,172.Compu$erve
Columbus, OH 43210                        1-(614)-292-5310.office
U.S.A.                                    1-(614)-292-4975.secy