[comp.sys.mac] Speed of Mac IIx

128a-3aj@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Jonathan Dubman) (09/21/88)

Greetings.

I saw the announcement of the Mac IIx in Bay Area Computer Currents.
I saw mention of the 68030, the 68882, and the "SuperDrive", but I saw no
mention of processor speed.  Does anyone know how fast this puppy runs?

	-Jonathan Dubman
	Overworked UC Berkeley Student

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (09/21/88)

In article <14550@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> 128a-3aj@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Jonathan Dubman) writes:
>I saw the announcement of the Mac IIx in Bay Area Computer Currents.
>I saw mention of the 68030, the 68882, and the "SuperDrive", but I saw no
>mention of processor speed.  Does anyone know how fast this puppy runs?

Here is the appropriate paragraph direct from Apple's press release:

"The combination of the 68030 microprocessor and 68882 math co-processor
running at 16Mhz provides users with an additional 10-15 percent performance
improvement over the Macintosh II.  In addition, virtually all Macintosh
II-compatible software runs without modification on the Macintosh IIx."

Not a great deal of improvement, is it?  About the same as the SE was supposed
to have over the Plus.

Jim

--

Jim -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)  {Standard disclaimer, nothin' fancy!}

mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (09/22/88)

In article <14550@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, 128a-3aj@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Jonathan Dubman) writes:

> I saw the announcement of the Mac IIx in Bay Area Computer Currents.
> I saw mention of the 68030, the 68882, and the "SuperDrive", but I saw no
> mention of processor speed.  Does anyone know how fast this puppy runs?

   16Mhz, same as the old Mac II...

kmw@ardent.UUCP (Ken Wallich) (09/22/88)

In article <14550@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> 128a-3aj@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Jonathan Dubman) writes:

>I saw the announcement of the Mac IIx in Bay Area Computer Currents.
>I saw mention of the 68030, the 68882, and the "SuperDrive", but I saw no
>mention of processor speed.  Does anyone know how fast this puppy runs?

Don't know the hardware specs, but according the the MacWeek article about it,
Apple is claiming that it will run a *whopping 15% faster* than an existing
MacII.  Gosh, I wonder if that means it will only take 17 seconds instead
of 20 seconds to boot!  WOW!

Actually, this is in line with estimates from some hardware-knowledgable
folks who have posted about the differences between an similar clock-speed
68020 and 68030.

I thought that putting the ROMS on a SIMM board was the cutest thing about
the new board.  Doubt that I'll be running out to swap motherboards any time
soon.

--
Ken Wallich
Ardent Computer Corp			uunet!ardent!kmw

paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) (09/22/88)

In article <14550@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> 128a-3aj@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Jonathan Dubman) writes:
#Greetings.
#
#I saw the announcement of the Mac IIx in Bay Area Computer Currents.
#I saw mention of the 68030, the 68882, and the "SuperDrive", but I saw no
#mention of processor speed.  Does anyone know how fast this puppy runs?
#
#	-Jonathan Dubman
#	Overworked UC Berkeley Student

I know, I know, only a rough indication but nevertheless:

Someone I spoke to said the IIx plowed its way thru an Excel sheet
with something like 1500 records (no idea of calculations) used in
just about 30 secs. The Mac II refused to perform the calculation...

Just when you thought the Mac II was a _power_ machine ... ;)

Like we say in Holland: if I lie, I lie in commission ;)
        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"
		- Basil Fawlty -
--
        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"
		- Basil Fawlty -

rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) (09/22/88)

The speed of the IIX is only 16mhtz.

What a drag I was hoping for 33mhtz.

rob

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (09/22/88)

>I saw the announcement of the Mac IIx in Bay Area Computer Currents.
>I saw mention of the 68030, the 68882, and the "SuperDrive", but I saw no
>mention of processor speed.  Does anyone know how fast this puppy runs?

Same speed as the existing mac II 16 megahertz.

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (09/22/88)

In article <14550@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> 128a-3aj@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Jonathan Dubman) writes:
<Greetings.
<
<I saw the announcement of the Mac IIx in Bay Area Computer Currents.
<I saw mention of the 68030, the 68882, and the "SuperDrive", but I saw no
<mention of processor speed.  Does anyone know how fast this puppy runs?

What's a superdrive?  I have a Mac II, and I want to know what I'm
missing out on.

-Sho

chrisj@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Johnson) (09/22/88)

The story on the Mac IIx's speed is somewhat incomplete.  Here's the info.
direct from Apple's AppleGram:

  The Macintosh IIx is the first CPU from Apple to feature the latest
  technology from Motorola, a 68030 microprocessor and 68882 math co-
  processor.  This combination improves the performance of most applications
  by an average of 10 to 15% over the Macintosh II, and the performance of
  certain floating-point calculations, such as logarithms and trigonometric
  functions, by up to 200%.

Since someone asked about the super drive, here's the relevant info. on that:

  The Macintosh IIx is the first computer to come equipped with Apple's new
  1.4MB floppy disk drive, the FDHD (Floppy Disk, High Density), making it
  the ideal computer for campuses that want to use Macintosh alongside MS-
  DOS or Apple II-compatible computers.  The FDHD reads and writes to the
  major 3.5" disk formats:  the Macintosh Group Code Recording (GCR) 400K,
  800K, and Modified Frequency Modulation (MFM) 1.44MB formats; the Apple II
  GCR 800K format; and MS-DOS and OS/2 MFM 720K and 1.44MB formats.  Using
  the Apple File Exchange, located on the Macintosh Utilities disk, you can
  now use your Macintosh IIx to access and share files and information
  stored on other types of computers within your workgroup.

----Chris

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (09/22/88)

In article <599@ardent.UUCP>, kmw@ardent.UUCP (Ken Wallich) writes:
> I thought that putting the ROMS on a SIMM board was the cutest thing about
> the new board.  Doubt that I'll be running out to swap motherboards any time
> soon.
>
> --
> Ken Wallich
> Ardent Computer Corp			uunet!ardent!kmw
> Sunnyvale, California, USA		"Slimey? Mud hole? My HOME this is!"

ROM slots may be a good idea in the long run-- no motherboard swap needed if
apple makes the changes they're probably working on for newer OSs.

Actually, the real advantage of the '030 is not to the customer, but to the
manufacturer.  They don't take up more board space to put an MMU in (or
need to beef up power either).  I also here that the '030's built in MMU
kills a wait state that the '851 chip introduced when it was added.

-dave falkenburg
--
Dave Falkenburg @ University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network
Internet: falken@caen.engin.umich.edu       UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (09/23/88)

In article <3707@Portia.Stanford.EDU> rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) writes:

>The speed of the IIX is only 16mhtz.
>
>What a drag I was hoping for 33mhtz.
>
>rob

For another $3000, Apple will gladly sell you the soon-to-be released
Mac IIx+, which has a $1.98 33MHz crystal from Radio Shack instead of
the current $.50 16MHz one....   1/2 :-)

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (09/23/88)

In article <1453@pur-phy>, sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
> What's a superdrive?  I have a Mac II, and I want to know what I'm
> missing out on.

  The superdrive is Apple's new 1.44 meg 3.5" floppy disk.  I've heard
rumors that it can read MS-DOS 3.5 inchers as well, but don't
quote me on that last bit...

paul@unisoft.UUCP (n) (09/23/88)

In article <599@ardent.UUCP> kmw@ardent.UUCP (Ken Wallich) writes:

>I thought that putting the ROMS on a SIMM board was the cutest thing about
>the new board.  Doubt that I'll be running out to swap motherboards any time
>soon.

	So they're hard to duplicate .....

		Paul

--
Paul Campbell, UniSoft Corp. 6121 Hollis, Emeryville, Ca
	E-mail:		..!{ucbvax,hoptoad}!unisoft!paul

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (09/27/88)

OK! how many of you owners of the no longer state of the art Mac IIs are
going to run right down to your dealers and plunk down the >$3K it takes
to upgrade your old computer to the new IIx configuration????
Who will be the first on the block to have a 10 to 15% faster TRANSISTION
Mac???

TeriAnn

c60a-2ce@web-4a.berkeley.edu (Mike Kao) (09/29/88)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Speed of Mac IIx

I believe the processor speed of the 68030 is 25 Mhz. I have no idea whether the
IIx has expanded buses and the like; if it does, it'll whip my "normal" II's
butt!

Also, wasn't there mention of a 68040 on the drawing boards? Heard it was supposed
to have 64-bit registers and a clock speed of 32 Mhz...
Please reply via e-mail; I just don't have enough time to go thru
the entire newsgroup. Thanks a lot!
				     "A little coitus, neva hoit us!"
c60a-2ce@web.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu................Mike Kao

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, Architect) (09/29/88)

In article <14795@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> c60a-2ce@web-4a.berkeley.edu (Mike Kao) writes:
>I believe the processor speed of the 68030 is 25 Mhz.

The Macintosh IIx processor is a 16 MHz 68030.
Byron Han, Communications Architect                   "Just say NO to MS-DOS."
Apple Computer, Inc.                     -------------------------------------
20525 Mariani Ave, MS27Y                 domain: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                      UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
--------------------------------------   GENIE: BYRONHAN
ATTnet: 408-973-6450   Applelink: HAN1   CompuServe: 72167,1664

peterson@peterson.applicon.UUCP (09/30/88)

I am not sure, but I did read that the 68030 runs at 16 MHz as well.
I do not know the details about why it computes faster than the 68020.

Joe Peterson
peterson@applicon.com

shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) (09/30/88)

In article <17936@apple.Apple.COM> han@apple.com.UUCP (Byron Han, Architect) writes:
>In article <14795@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> c60a-2ce@web-4a.berkeley.edu (Mike Kao) writes:
>>I believe the processor speed of the 68030 is 25 Mhz.
>
>The Macintosh IIx processor is a 16 MHz 68030.
>Byron Han, Communications Architect                   "Just say NO to MS-DOS."

Byron, do you know if they have removed the wait-states from the
memory accesses or done anything to speed up the NUbus? Both of these
are fairly serious bottlenecks on the current design.  Also, any sign
of a DMA chip, or do they still not want to do multitasking?

Jon