[comp.sys.mac] Macwrite default font

root@bio73.unsw.oz (Karl Redell ) (09/15/88)

Is it possible to change the Macwrite default font?

Thanks in advance.
			karl@bio73.unsw.oz

richard@claris.UUCP (Richard Scorer) (09/21/88)

In article <1158@bio73.unsw.oz> root@bio73.unsw.oz (Karl Redell ) writes:
>Is it possible to change the Macwrite default font?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>			karl@bio73.unsw.oz

Karl

No it is not possible - sorry.

	-Rich-
--

 Richard Scorer       *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!richard
 Claris Corporation   *   AppleLink: Scorer1   *   CompuServe: 74017,344

dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (09/21/88)

In article <5491@claris.UUCP> richard@claris.UUCP (Richard Scorer) writes:
>In article <1158@bio73.unsw.oz> root@bio73.unsw.oz (Karl Redell ) writes:
>>Is it possible to change the Macwrite default font?
>
>No it is not possible - sorry.

I hate to argue with someone from Claris, but...  In MacWrite 4.5,
changing the Mac's ``Application Font'' would change the default font
that MacWrite uses.  There are several little programs that do this; a
DA called ``ApplFont'' comes to mind.

Of course, it may be that MacWrite 5.0 no longer uses the Application
Font, in the interest of who knows what.
Internet: dorner@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

borton@uva.UUCP (Chris Borton) (09/21/88)

In article <5491@claris.UUCP> richard@claris.UUCP (Richard Scorer) writes:
>In article <1158@bio73.unsw.oz> root@bio73.unsw.oz (Karl Redell ) writes:
>>Is it possible to change the Macwrite default font?
>>
>No it is not possible - sorry.
>
> Richard Scorer       *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!richard
> Claris Corporation   *   AppleLink: Scorer1   *   CompuServe: 74017,344

Ah, but doesn't MacWrite use the default application font?  (Gosh, I hope so!
If not, disregard this and add another flame to my list for MacWrite)

The default application font is changed easily enough with PRAM.

-cbb
--
Chris Borton	borton%uva@mcvax.{nl,bitnet,uucp}
Rotary Scholar, University of Amsterdam CS

hill@petsd.UUCP (John S. Hill) (09/21/88)

In article <5491@claris.UUCP> richard@claris.UUCP (Richard Scorer) writes:
>In article <1158@bio73.unsw.oz> root@bio73.unsw.oz (Karl Redell ) writes:
>>Is it possible to change the Macwrite default font?
>>Thanks in advance.
>>			karl@bio73.unsw.oz
>
>Karl
>No it is not possible - sorry.
>	-Rich-
>--
> Richard Scorer       *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!richard
> Claris Corporation   *   AppleLink: Scorer1   *   CompuServe: 74017,344

As I recall, you used to be able to change the 'default application font'
bit(s) in PRAM.  Thus, when any "correct" application went to find the
default font, it would get the font that you installed.  Off the top of
my head, I don't recall exactly what number you would put into PRAM, but
you probably have to follow one of those strange formulas (i.e. take the
font id number and add/subtract some good computer number (128, 512, etc.))
I think that the program PRAM4.0 did all of this for you, but I can't say
because I'm pretty sure I got rid of this program a long time ago.  I know
for a fact that I got it off the net, so someone out there might still have
it.

All of the magazines etc. recommend you do it something like this:
Create a new document, change the font (and for that matter styles etc.)
and save this as something appropriate.  Then, next time you want to use
Macwrite, open this document, and immediately save it as something else.
This procedure works even better if the prototype document is saved in
Macwrite version 2.2 format - the newer Macwrites automatically change
the format, and open the existing document as Untitled.

        -- Good Luck, John.

--
 -- --   |   |   ---   -----   ---   |\  |   ----         ----   -----
|  |  |  |   |  |___     |    |___|  | \ |  |  __        |  __     |

John S. Hill -- UUCP: {princeton,att,decvax}!vax135!petsd!hill

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (09/22/88)

In article <350@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>In article <5491@claris.UUCP> richard@claris.UUCP (Richard Scorer) writes:
>>In article <1158@bio73.unsw.oz> root@bio73.unsw.oz (Karl Redell ) writes:
>>>Is it possible to change the Macwrite default font?
>>
>>No it is not possible - sorry.
>
>I hate to argue with someone from Claris, but...  In MacWrite 4.5,
>changing the Mac's ``Application Font'' would change the default font
>that MacWrite uses.  There are several little programs that do this; a
>DA called ``ApplFont'' comes to mind.
>
>Of course, it may be that MacWrite 5.0 no longer uses the Application
>Font, in the interest of who knows what.

  It may not be practical, or even condoned, but it is ALWAYS possible.

If Claris has altered MacWrite 5.0 from 4.5/4.6 such that it sets the
default font in a "hardcoded" manner, rather than using the Application
Font, you can probably use a debugger and disk editor to 'fix' it.
Otherwise, you can use one of the many public domain/shareware DAs/INITs
that allow you to change the Application Font. One of the nicest I've
seen is a cdev called ApFont (v.3.0.1, which even lets you set font size).

-ken

--
==========      .......     ===========================================
Ken McLeod     :.     .:    uucp: {spsd, zardoz, felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (09/23/88)

hill@petsd.UUCP (John S. Hill) wrote:
In article <5491@claris.UUCP> richard@claris.UUCP (Richard Scorer) writes:
>>Is it possible to change the Macwrite default font?
>No it is not possible - sorry.

I have a CDEV called Fontonize that does this. I tried to email the original
poster in Australia but I suspect my message got lost. Give me a usable path
and I'll mail it to you (or to any archive in the US that asks - it was
distributed in Europe on the Mac-User BITNET list).

--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk       USENET: jack@cs.glasgow.uucp
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs      useBANGnet: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack

g560676211ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000009926;0;190;142;) (09/25/88)

In article <5491@claris.UUCP> richard@claris.UUCP (Richard Scorer) writes:
>In article <1158@bio73.unsw.oz> root@bio73.unsw.oz (Karl Redell ) writes:
>>Is it possible to change the Macwrite default font?
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>			karl@bio73.unsw.oz
>
>Karl
>
>No it is not possible - sorry.
>
>	-Rich-
>--
>
> Richard Scorer       *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!richard
> Claris Corporation   *   AppleLink: Scorer1   *   CompuServe: 74017,344
I have two suggestions. You might like to try the CDEV ApFont which can
change every application's startup font but this is done by changing something
not in the application itself. Maybe someone else could elucidate on that.
However, the default font I like doesn't show up well in Cricket Graph so I
don't use ApFont. Instead for MacWrite, I make a startup document which has
all the tab, font, size, etc. set to how I usually like it. Then I lock the
document so it can't get changed. Instead of starting by opening MacWrite, I
open the startup document and there I am.

Colin Ong
Department of Land, Air & Water Resources
University of California, Davis
CA 95616
Disclaimer: It works for me. I can't guarantee that it will work for you.

richard@claris.UUCP (Richard Scorer) (09/27/88)

In article <1337@petsd.UUCP> hill@petsd.UUCP (John S. Hill) writes:
!In article <5491@claris.UUCP> richard@claris.UUCP (Richard Scorer) writes:
!!In article <1158@bio73.unsw.oz> root@bio73.unsw.oz (Karl Redell ) writes:
!>>Is it possible to change the Macwrite default font?
!>>Thanks in advance.
!>>			karl@bio73.unsw.oz
!>
!>Karl
!>No it is not possible - sorry.
!>	-Rich-
!>--
!> Richard Scorer       *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!richard
!> Claris Corporation   *   AppleLink: Scorer1   *   CompuServe: 74017,344
!
!
!As I recall, you used to be able to change the 'default application font'
!bit(s) in PRAM.  Thus, when any "correct" application went to find the
!default font, it would get the font that you installed.  Off the top of

Well, gosh.  Next time I'll think first :-)

It used to be that we couldn't change the font - it was scattered all over the
source.  However, we do use ApplFont these days, so I assume that indeed we
do use the application font.  Ahem.  Whoops.  Bright Red Face :-)  My comment
was I think due to a memory of someone telling me that MacWrite ignored the
change.  So, I'm still uncertain.

No we didn't change the way we access the standard font, so if it worked
for 4.5 or 4.6, it'll still work for 5.0

Sorry for the confusion.  Remind to wake up next time I answer a message.

	-Rich-

--

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (10/02/88)

in article <1337@petsd.UUCP>, hill@petsd.UUCP (John S. Hill) says:

> In article <5491@claris.UUCP> richard@claris.UUCP (Richard Scorer) writes:
>>In article <1158@bio73.unsw.oz> root@bio73.unsw.oz (Karl Redell ) writes:
>>>Is it possible to change the Macwrite default font?
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>			karl@bio73.unsw.oz
>>
>>Karl
>>No it is not possible - sorry.
>>	-Rich-
>>--
>> Richard Scorer       *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!richard
>> Claris Corporation   *   AppleLink: Scorer1   *   CompuServe: 74017,344

Actually, there's a very easy way to do this. Search through the public
domain/shareware arena for an INIT called ApFont. Once installed, this will
change the default font throughout your system. MacWrite will be affected
by it. I have it set to Times Roman 12, since that is the font I use
most. It's drawback is that it sets everything to the same font and that
some applications, such as FullWrite, aren't touched by it. However,
it MacWrite is your main word processor, and you've a single favorite
font and size, ApFont is just the ticket.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai