[comp.sys.mac] Arrow cursor

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (09/24/88)

In article <9310@cup.portal.com> Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com writes:
<Special cursors are stored in the program that wants them.  (Like hands and
<stuff).  But the I beam, the watch, a cross hair thin, and a thick cross hair
<(I think the thick cross hair, but I am not sure, I know there are four though)
<are all in the system file.  Change them there.  If the normal one comes up,
<you will know that the application has its own.  I changed my I beam into two
<triangles, one pointing down, and one pointing up, with the hot spot right in
<the middle.  In case you are wondering where the arrow is, it is in the ROMs.
<(Remember, it comes up when you first turn the Mac on.)
<
<Mark Cookson

However, it should be noted that the arrow cursor CAN be patched in RAM.  The
INIT ColorCursor replaces the standard black arrow with one filled with the
same rainbow of colors that fills the apple over the DA menu.  Does anyone
know exactly how this is done?

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

msurlich@faui44.informatik.uni-erlangen.de ( scheme) (10/03/88)

In article <6398@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:

>However, it should be noted that the arrow cursor CAN be patched in RAM.  The
>INIT ColorCursor replaces the standard black arrow with one filled with the
>same rainbow of colors that fills the apple over the DA menu.  Does anyone
>know exactly how this is done?

Yes, I do -- I wrote the beast...
At INIT time, load a color cursor and a b/w cursor into memory.
Now every time anyone calls SetCursor, compare the cursor you want to
set to with the b/w cursor stored earlier. If same, call SetCCursor
instead.

This only works because InitCursor just calls SetCursor(arrow), Arrow
is a QD global installed by InitGraf, and the original Arrow has been
stolen from there with MacsBug and ResEdit...

Install other cursors in a copy of this INIT and you could replace
other cursors too. Anyone have a color cursor editor ?

Matthias Urlichs -- Rainwiesenweg 9 -- 8501 Schwaig 2 -- West Germany
CI$: 72437,1357  -- Delphi: URLICHS -- Phone: ++49+911+574180
NetMail: m_urlichs@msn.rmi.de       -- or: (reply and (h)ope